Reasonable time period to complete a trade

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by JAntony345, Feb 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAntony345

JAntony345 Initiate (86) May 1, 2010 New York
    Deactivated

Hey Guys,

I set-up trade last weekend and shipped out my part of our trade last Monday and reached there on that Wednesday. I emailed him to see if everything arrived ok and he confirmed that it and said he add been busy with work and will ship my beers the next day. I never received a tracking number and sent him a follow-up email Sunday to let me know if he was shipping out his side of the trade this week and there was no response but I saw that he read the message. I get that someone can busy with work but I feeling he's gotten his beer and has no intention of completing his side. Has anyone been in this situation? I feel like a week is a reasonable amount of time to get his stuff in order. I'm just not sure if I want to give him more time or just leave negative feedback for noncompletion of our trade.

2. Yohann

Yohann Aspirant (233) Apr 29, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Probably a little soon for negative feedback. How many trades does the other person have recorded?

3. JAntony345

Deactivated

23 Trades all positive

4. Yohann

Yohann Aspirant (233) Apr 29, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

With 23 trades logged, it seems very soon to conclude that the other person is intending to rip you off. I'd message them again in a day or two and give 'em another few days to respond before escalating things.

Dan_K and maximum12 like this.
  5. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Disciple (312) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

23 trades or not, a week with someone not sending beer, and reading your messages and not bothering to respond with anything at all is pretty close to enough for me.

Josholson666 and maximum12 like this.
  6. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,642) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

This seems reasonable. A follow-up message on Wednesday, then on Friday another saying "Hey, if I don't have a tracking number by Monday, I'm going to start a bad trader thread." Sadly, this usually gets people off their asses.

And as for the 23 trades, it seems there have been some veteran traders lately who have the attitude that "I've been around, what's your problem if I'm a week or two late?" That's unacceptable whether you have 1 trade or 700.

There is simply no excuse for poor communication. None.

Immortale25 and Dan_K like this.
  7. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,347) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah the least the other trader could have done upon reading your conversation on Sunday would be to reply back with a revised ETA. Would have taken all of 5 seconds. Good luck OP.

8. JAntony345

Deactivated

thanks guys

9. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,027) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

A week is out of line if they communicated they were shipping at the same time as you.

I don't really care how busy someone's life gets - don't commit to a trade if you can't get the box out in a day or two (or clearly communicate when you will be able to ship). Many FedEx stores are open 7am-11pm, so 'being busy' isn't an excuse - get of your fucking arse and drop the box off at the store.

Has the person made any other posts on the site? Been reading ISO threads or other stuff like that? I also have no doubt they have had the time to drink some of your beers...

Gasc0igne and tommyz like this.
  10. tommyz

tommyz Devotee (400) May 28, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

Agree! when you make a trade your communication needs to be good..To read messages and not respond is BS when involved in a trade...Im sorry, this "giving someone the benefit of the doubt" because of how many trades is garbage..You should send him 1 more message letting him know you will start a bad trader thread if he does not respond and get your package out...

pagriley likes this.
  11. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,027) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed - and if there isn't a really good reason, as well as some really tasty extras to make up for the delay, the feedback left should note what happened (possibly even be neutral or negative).

12. Abbbp

Abbbp Crusader (750) Mar 9, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Last year w a newer trader I sent him two seasonal local bombers for 2 4-packs of fresh Heady Topper. The catch was I sent it to him in February and he sent to me in late September because that's when I needed it. Did I care? Not one bit, because his communication was EXCELLENT, and I figured I only wanted the fresh Heady for our annual college football trip, to share with friends that know good beer but do no trading. So to answer your original question, in this scenario it is not reasonable for the person you are trading with to be nonresponsive. Things happen, life gets in the way, blah, blah, blah, but if you know that you can be sympathetic and negotiate to work things out- but how would you know that either way? I'd hold off on the negative feedback, and starting a bad trader thread is one you should consider prior to leaving such feedback, as that does tend to get people motivated.

13. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (779) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

2-3 weeks then send out the dogs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.