Recommend a DIPA that isn't sweet.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by teledeluxe, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derekbphotography

derekbphotography Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Washington

If you can trade for a growler of a Beachwood DIPA you will be very pleased. Dry and hoppy.

2. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Beachwood Melrose IPA was fantastic so I believe you beacuse the IPA was the quntessential west coast experience. Juicy , fruity and not too darn sweet. I rave abotu it still and remember it always when I hear the word IPA.

derekbphotography likes this.
  3. norcalhophead

norcalhophead Initiate (67) Jan 28, 2010 Wisconsin

4. jman005

jman005 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Kentucky

You thought Hi-res was very piney? Would have to say I got more sweet fruits than pine. No trace of alcohol at all though, amazing.

5. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,912) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I keep seeing Palate Wrecker; I think that beer is super sweet! I'd recommend Ruination, and I agree with Torpedo (an Extra IPA, vice double, but close enough). Honestly, between the malt base and hop selection, I find most DIPAs to be pretty sweet.

DFH 90 minute is a pretty good choice; super smooth and balanced, but not particularly sweet. Others have a more resin/dank-focused profile, but still have a noticeable hop sweetness, so...yeah. They're usually fairly sweet overall.

Redneckwine likes this.
  6. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (226) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Stone Ruination and when it comes out this year, Sierra Nevada Hoptimum. Ruination is one of the least subtle IPA's out there, and Hoptimum is too oily/resiny to really come across as sweet.

7. PickleBucket29

PickleBucket29 Aspirant (200) Aug 8, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I did, buy I also drank it after a Ninja vs. Unicorn. I got sone piney notes for sure. Either way, it's a great one and not over the top sweet.

8. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (349) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Ghandi Bot is the driest and bitterest DIPA I've tried, not very easy to get though.
    OTWOA is also very dry and grass-y. Side by side with Ghandi Bot, wasn't close to as bitter. This isn't realy easy to get either though.

To be honest, I too am currently finding most IIPAs insanely sweet. Hi-Res is a horrible recommendation for the OP.

9. jman005

jman005 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 Kentucky

Piney notes..very piney, haha but yes a very good beer.

10. Danny1217

Danny1217 Champion (826) Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Dirtwolf, Ruination, Enjoy By, Palate Wrecker, Hoptimum

Ruination, Palate Wrecker, and Hoptimum especially. Very bitter beers.

11. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (566) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Moylan's Hopsickle might be the most bitter beer I have had (and enjoyed). Face melter.

I personally find Double Trouble and Myrcenary to be on the sweet side-I love them both.

#51 surfcaster, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  12. tbaker397

tbaker397 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 West Virginia

I just finished a stoopid and truthfully I find it to be sweet but in a good, non cloying way. God i love that beer.

NoHoppes4Me likes this.
  13. king75

king75 Devotee (429) Jul 27, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

This is exactly what I was thinking, but I am not sure if they get Kuhnhenn in Illinois. Hopefully with the second brewery opening soon this will be a year round treat in bottles and will definitely be on the ISO:FT forum

tectactoe likes this.
  14. BigJimSlade

BigJimSlade Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2006 Connecticut

Absolutely. I love Resin, and agree with Double Jack, Gandhi-Bot, Palate Wrecker, Ruination (Although a "double" at less than 8% is pushing it). I don't find Sucks to be sweet, but 90 Minute to me is one of those DIPA's that are quasi-barleywine. Again, different palates.

15. beastmammoth

beastmammoth Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2010 New York

Might try drinking your DIPAs a little colder too. Not that I know what temp you're drinking them at. Subdues the malt a bit

16. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Dirtwolf.

17. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

18. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I am also very sensitive to overly-sweet DIPAs. A lot that people have mentioned here as not being sweet, are still a bit too sweet for me - e.g. Enjoy By.

I love all of the HF DIPAs I've had, but that's not really of much use to you.

Does Illinois get Omnipollo distro?

I thought Fatamorgana was delicious, and to me at least it definitely wasn't too sweet.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25314/106819/

Edit - also as others have pointed out, you probably want to stay in the lower end of the ABV range. When you're drinking 12% ABV DIPAs, sweetness to some extent, starts becoming pretty much unavoidable

DaKur likes this.
  19. SierraJosh

SierraJosh Aspirant (274) Aug 13, 2013 California

I am gonna seek out a hoptologist in the next few weeks, tend to forget how great that beer is fresh. Reintroduced myself to Sculpin and Stone IPA recently, just amazing beers. Cheers!

Knee_Deep_Fan likes this.
  20. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Alaskan Hopothermia

Bitterbill likes this.
  21. VelvetExtract

VelvetExtract Poo-Bah (3,908) Jan 10, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

I personally think 90 Minute is one of the sweeter DIPAs; most of the reason why I am not a big fan.

markgugs likes this.
  22. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan

Yes, just about everything in this thread is a good rec. Since OP is from Illinois, I would also add Greenbush's Brother Benjamin. Definitely one of the richest, bitterest DIPAs I had in 2013.

23. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan

Big +1 to The Liberator, that one slipped my mind. Just make a trip up to MI, OP, and all of your beer questions will be answered!

[​IMG]

BeyondDescription likes this.
  24. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

Actually, if your Ruination is 7.7%, it's probably old... It's been 8.2% for a little while now.

25. nophunk

nophunk Aspirant (239) Nov 27, 2011 Louisiana
    Trader

I agree with all the DirtWolf notions - nice and fruity with a slight bitter tone at the end, no real sweetness to speak of.

Not like it's easy to get, but I think Heady Topper has a pretty perfect balance overall.

26. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (3,103) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Society

Talk to someone in MD about trading for Flying Dog The Truth. Very bitter and very tropical; I'm currently finding a lot of DIPAs too sweet these days (Double Jack, Hi-Res, etc.), but The Truth really hit the spot in all the right ways.

Shouldn't be too hard to obtain if you ask someone in MD for a trade - there's no hype for it, so it has zero trade value beyond other unhyped locals.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  27. Gruber221

Gruber221 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 Pennsylvania

Fat Heads Head Hunter would be a good one!!!!

28. DaKur

DaKur Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2012 Rhode Island

I don't know what you drank. That was one of the sweetest DIPAs I have ever had. It was good though.

ThisWangsChung likes this.
  29. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

:grimacing: Why the ABV Boost? Well .5 percent of a boost shouldn't increase it's sweetness by much.

30. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

I love The Truth, it's Herbal, Tropical with the right amount of a malt bill to carry the hops. Nice to see someone else giving its props.

31. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Aspirant (222) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

Personally, just try a bunch of DIPAs preferably 9% ABV and below. The higher the ABV, the more malt (typically), so they are typically sweeter. I say try them yourself because I'd say 40% of the recommendations in this thread I find moderately to very sweet for a DIPA.

32. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,211) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Funny to see multiple mentions for 90 minute. That one’s on the maltier/sweeter side for me.

I was also going to say what someone else already noted – I feel DIPAs are typically sweeter than IPAs because of the often enhanced malt bill to “balance” the extra hops. I think IPAs in general (at least American ones) are less sweet than DIPAs and may be more of what the OP’s looking for.

But if it must be a DIPA, Ruination definitely comes to mind.

33. PickleBucket29

PickleBucket29 Aspirant (200) Aug 8, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Really? I had a bomber of Ninja v. Unicorn before it. I'll have to give it a second try.

DaKur likes this.
  34. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2013 Illinois

My title is a bit of a misnomer. I used to really like the style -- I'm just looking for suggestions that are a little on the drier side. This is just helping me determine where my money might be better spent (on ones I haven't already tried).

Example: I was curious about Hi-Res because I do like Resin, but this thread is telling me it is pretty sweet.

35. Jewmagic151

Jewmagic151 Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 Kansas

anything green flash!

36. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Utah

Stay away from Oskar Blues G'night then.

37. jzlyo

jzlyo Poo-Bah (2,307) Mar 4, 2012 Iowa
    Society

Avoid bottles out of date or if they're not dated and look like they could be really old. As far as my recommendations, New Glarus IIPA was pretty good.

38. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

Knee Deep is scarce in the stores right now. Rumor has it they are/am switching distributors and it's leaving the shelves empty. I agree on the Hoptologist. When it's fresh I'll take it over Pliny any day (or night!).

SierraJosh likes this.
  39. tripsforjoe

tripsforjoe Initiate (75) Sep 27, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Drinking DIPAs as fresh as possible is the best way to avoid sweetness, IMO.

DaKur likes this.
  40. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,196) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Bingo. It tells the Malt to get out of town, and it does!:wink:

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.