Recommendations on a pilsner

Discussion in 'New England' started by beerandrecords, Jul 10, 2018.

1. beerandrecords

beerandrecords Initiate (124) Jun 28, 2017 Pennsylvania

Hey folks, I'm sure these kind of questions get asked all the time but looking for recommendations for 3 or 4 pilsners I can get in NE. I live right on the border of Southern VT and NH and have a pretty good beer shop available in Keene and the Coop in Brattleboro. Been drinking IPA's pretty much for ever but looking to expand my horizons some with an eye toward narrowing down my go to beer in this style.

I know it's all subjective. Also looking for examples that are indicative of tradition, nothing with adjuncts, if that's even done with pilsners...

Thanks!

2. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (374) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

You shouldn't have any trouble finding Green State Lager by Zero Gravity where you are and that's a great straightforward option. Fairly cheap too!

3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,377) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

We get that in NY, and I really enjoy it as well. That and Von Trapp seem to be the obvious suggestions.

Just to touch on the 'adjunct' issue for a bit; it helps to look at Pilsners as a broad style at this point. The Continental substyles (Czech, German) will be all malt. Classic American, or Pre-Prohibition, Pilsners did contain adjuncts by necessity but were hopped like their Continental cousins. Those however eventually morphed into the AALs of today. There are some revival CAPs available these days, and they can be tasty in their own right, but in general a Pils will be all malt.

4. vtcraft

vtcraft Aspirant (225) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Try some of the Largers from Jack Abby and Traps

beerandrecords likes this.
  5. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (318) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Beer Trader

To try the best you have to drive to Greensboro, VT or Germantown,NY unfortunately. Von Trapp is very traditional and damn good as well. The lagers brewed at Notch are fantastic, not sure how the batches produced at 2 Roads are though.

beerandrecords likes this.
  6. NAPO

NAPO Aspirant (263) Jan 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Rothaus pils tannen zäpfle is what you need. it's on the pricey side, but it's one of the best pilsners I ever had.

7. epoole3

epoole3 Initiate (198) Aug 28, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

From CT:
    Counterweight Workhorse
    Fox Farm Gather
    Kent Falls The Hollow
    Nebco Elm City

MA:
    Aeronaut Robot Crush
    Fort Hill Hera Pils
    Berkshire Busker Czech Pilsner

ME:
    Foundation Riverton Flyer

NY:
    Suarez Palatine
    Suarez Qualify

8. Auror

Auror Defender (645) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Good options available relatively fresh in NH stores:
    Rothaus
    Peak Organic Fresh Cut
    Moat Mountain Czech Pilsner
    Jack's Abbey Post Shift (and currently Sunny Ridge)
    Switchback Citra Pils
    Von Trapp Pilsner

Sweatshirt and beerandrecords like this.
  9. mgp

mgp Initiate (140) Jan 30, 2010 Massachusetts

If you find yourself in the greater Boston area, look for Edgeworth by Idle Hands. It's a really solid American Pilsner.

j_deer, Sheppard and beerandrecords like this.
  10. beerandrecords

I was drinking the IPL on the 4th and liked it a lot!

11. beerandrecords

I'll see if I can track it down. I'm willing to pay for great beer.

12. papposilenus

papposilenus Champion (847) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Talk to Zack. Tell him what you've had and what you've liked. He's a wizard - an ugly, foul-mouthed, abusive wizard, but still. He'll run around the store like a meth-ridden troll making up a mixed pack of singles for you to try. It's what he lives for.
    It's at Brewtopia.

TongoRad likes this.
  13. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (544) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Vermont Pilsener from Lost Nation is very good.

14. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (293) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Lots of good recommendations here. Some personal favorites are Green State, Jack's Post Shift, Fresh Cut, Berkshire Busker, any Kent Falls, any Schilling*, Notch Session Pils.

*They haven't distributed beer in the past, but I believe they're starting now that their expansion is up and running, so it may be headed towards you in the near future.

15. lic217

lic217 Crusader (787) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Von Trapp Pilsner, Either Jack Abbey Pilsner (Sunny ridge or Post Shift), Konig Pilsner or Bitburger Pilsner are great cheap options as well. Summerfest by Sierra Nevada is a great pilsner floating around right now as well.

SunDevilBeer, TongoRad and jbarletto like this.
  16. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (293) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Oh, also Jack's Abby House Lager. Not technically a pils, but it could probably pass for one and it's cheap, ubiquitous, and excellent.

dogdrule likes this.
  17. forum8417

forum8417 Initiate (171) Feb 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

if your feeling adventurous, the next time tree house releases trail magic, the drive is worth it. just had my final can the other day with some seafood, absolutely amazing.

18. NAPO

Beer Trader

It's about $16-17 for a 6 pack of 11 oz bottles. It's one you need to have at least once.

lic217 likes this.
  19. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (731) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

It's randomly in 12.2 oz. bottles. Really odd.

While I agree, when fresh, it's arguably the best Pilsner that's been suggested so far...but "when fresh" is the key. It's a crapshoot.

To the OP, check the date. The best by date is on the back of the bottle and is six months from bottling. Also remember that's European style dating. So if it says 01.12.17 that's December 1st, 2017.

NAPO likes this.
  20. NAPO

Beer Trader

My buddy told me that. I usually I find it in 11.2 oz bottles which I also find odd. I heard Novare Res always have it on tap which Is an option i'm always looking for.

Also agree with you, OP needs to try and get it fresh-ish.

21. AlcahueteJ

Really? I've never once seen it in 11.2 oz. bottles. Out of curiosity, where did you see that?

It's also regularly on tap at Olde Magoun's in Somerville, The Publick House in Brookline, and Row 34 in Boston.

For the OP if you're looking for it on tap, maybe the Row 34 in Portsmouth has it on tap?

22. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Disciple (394) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

Smuttynose Vunderbar and CBC Remain in Light are my two favorite readily available pilsners in New England. Smuttynose should be easy to find in your area, not sure about CBC.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  23. DarthCerevisiae

DarthCerevisiae Initiate (128) Jan 13, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Threes Vliet has been making it's way into MA recently, and it can be pricey but super tasty. And one of the best looking cans out there.
    I agree with all the stand by's in this thread. Troegs Sunshine Pils and Left Hand Polestar are two really friggen good pilsners that a lot of people sleep on.

24. AlcahueteJ

I used to love Troegs, but I hardly even look for it anymore since it went year round. Because it's year round, and it's a Pils, it just sits on shelves gathering dust.

Pilsners should be seasonals in my opinion to keep them moving.

25. NAPO

Beer Trader

It's been almost a year since I bought some. But I usually bought them at the Fifth Ave liquors in Millis or at Julio's.

26. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Aspirant (203) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I recently was able to get a case of a September/October date (don't know which). The manager at Giorgio's in Waltham was able to order it for me. I didn't leave any behind though. If they sold it in cans, I might buy a palate.

27. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Aspirant (298) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Rothaus date question.

If the drink by date is 1/8/18 is that an American January 8th or European August 1st?

28. Jam23

Jam23 Initiate (165) Oct 21, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

See post #19

29. AlcahueteJ

Of Rothaus?

While we're on the topic of their Pils, their Marzen Export is on tap at Olde Magoun's. I've never seen that before. I might make a special trip just for that.

rhino88888888 and Mikecap like this.
  30. Manfrombelmonty

Cheers

31. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Aspirant (203) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Do you mean that you guys aren't psychic? Yes, Rothaus.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  32. DarthCerevisiae

DarthCerevisiae Initiate (128) Jan 13, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They unfortunately will probably never can anything. They are super environmentally conscious (even more so than the standard German/euro beer scene with reusing bottles, plastic cases, etc) and one use aluminum cans doesn't really jive with the rest of their atmos

33. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (582) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

I like Banded Brewing (formerly Banded Horn) Pepperell Pilsner. Good when fresh.
    NH: Moat Mountain Czech Pils.

Sweatshirt likes this.
  34. meefmoff

Beer Trader

I saw a 'Banded' beer on a taplist recently and wondered whether they had changed their name. Any idea why? I couldn't turn anything up on a google search.

I remember liking Pepperell too but haven't had it in quite some time.

35. Glider

Glider Disciple (387) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

Yes, Banded changed their name. Apparently it was part of a rebranding project, as you will see that their labeling has changed as well. See https://zero.nyc/work/banded-brewing-co/
    It says people were already calling them Banded, so they decided to shorten it. Maybe they also wanted to move away from the medieval/viking connection.

They used to have some explanation on their site. I'm a bit surprised they took it down, as I imagine the last thing you want is people to be confused if you are still the same company.

AlcahueteJ and meefmoff like this.
  36. meefmoff

Beer Trader

That's really interesting and I like the new labels a lot. For whatever reason, I always found the super dark and busy design on their Daikachu DIPA sort of unwelcoming and confusing somehow. Apart from not being visually appealing it felt like a mish mash of a couple different themes that didn't work well together.

37. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (557) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Although the introduction of the new Luminaire label was sure as hell confusing for Rhode Islanders: image search this and Long Live Beerworks' Black Cat IPA label side by side.

38. blynchus

blynchus Initiate (161) Jul 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Can't believe Pilsner Urquell hasn't been mentioned yet. I've found cans in my local grocery store (southern NH) so I'm assuming where you are would be no different. They are commonly found in the tin lunchboxes with 4 16oz cans. Fantastic representation of the style

lic217 likes this.
  39. Manfrombelmonty

Love pilsners. But PU has that awful buttery taste. Can't be having it.

meefmoff likes this.
  40. Sheppard

Sheppard Savant (910) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Fresh Pilsner Urquell is a divine experience. Are the cans here dated? How fresh are we getting it?

soheadyithurts likes this.