Recommendations on a pilsner

Discussion in 'New England' started by beerandrecords, Jul 10, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Savant (1,101) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

In the interests of science I bought a 4 pk of 16oz cans of PU. Best before Dec 24, so as I understand their shelf life is 9 months, these are about 3.5 months old. Ice cold it tastes lovely. Nice grassiness. Sharp, tasty. As it warms the butter comes through and ruins the flavor. Just not for me.

meefmoff likes this.
  2. BucketsB

BucketsB Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

Been on a bit of a Pilsner kick the past few months and have had several in this thread fairly recently.

Grabbed Edgeworth last night after seeing it in this thread. Definitely my favorite by a pretty healthy margin.

ctkach, j_deer, rhino88888888 and 3 others like this.
  3. Laminate

Laminate Initiate (0) May 23, 2017 Massachusetts

Duchovni by Medusa in Hudson, MA is fantastic! I'm not a big pilsner guy, but I will get it every time I see it on tap there.

krantul likes this.
  4. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Zealot (656) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Is freshness really the biggest concern in a pilsner?

5. Ken_P

Ken_P Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2013 Massachusetts

Von Lune Pilsner (Mystic Brewery) is the best local option I've tried here in Mass. Edgeworth is a close second.

Has anyone tried Tipopils and can comment if it's worth the cost of entry?

j_deer, rhino88888888 and bostonwolf like this.
  6. oldbean

oldbean Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I'd say it is, it's not on the tight schedule that a NEIPA is, but the quality will fall off eventually. If it's hoppy, and especially if it's dry hopped, it's likely to drop off sooner.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  7. wasatchback

wasatchback Maven (1,460) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

Yeah I can’t get past the diacetyl in that beer.

Auror and Manfrombelmonty like this.
  8. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

Yes Tipopils is an excellent beer in my opinion. I'm only familiar with it being on draft ever, what is the cost of entry? Whether it's worth it or not would vary from person to person.

9. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Pundit (791) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Shed Hellsbrook Pils.

10. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Maven (1,301) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Deactivated

Came here to say Luppolo.

11. Ken_P

Ken_P Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2013 Massachusetts

I’ve seen it in cans for around $6 each. Expensive for a pils but I was curious and grabbed one. I will report back. Imported by B. United in a Tankard Ship then dry hopped and packaged here.

12. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

For my palate yes. In my opinion I want all my beer as fresh as possible, but of course, some styles suffer more with age than others.

As mentioned, the hops can fade in a Pils, and that is a key part of a Pilsner. Also, in my opinion, Pilsners aren't as hoppy as an IPA, so that hop fade can be more noticeable.

I had the chance to try Bitburger fresh on tap in Germany this year, and then had a can of it ~3 months old if I recall correctly here in the US. The Bitburger on tap in Germany was one of the hoppiest (but not IPL hoppy) imported Pils I've ever had. It really added something special to the beer (without interfering with the malt profile) that I hadn't tasted before in an import.

For something more local, while not a Pilsner, try to find a < 1 month old Boston Lager if you can. It's incredible how hoppy that beer can be when fresh, and how much the Noble hops truly pop in that beer.

Freshness...not just for New England IPAs.

lic217 and rhino88888888 like this.
  13. wasatchback

wasatchback Maven (1,460) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

I’ve only had Tipo in Italy. It’s what Pivo (and Bibo) are based off of, and plenty other modern hoppy Pilsners for that matter. A lot of brewers reference it as inspiration.

Ken_P likes this.
  14. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

I haven't seen those yet. Sounds like I have to travel down to MA to see if they're still in the market. At $6 per can, that pushes this out of regular purchase territory, and into occasional splurge territory. I'll stick with the new four packs of Schlenkerla Helles in the four packs though.

Sheppard and AlcahueteJ like this.
  15. AlcahueteJ

Pooh-Bah Society

Not only have I not seen Tipo Pils, but I've never seen the Schlenkerla Helles cans in MA either. You're getting them in NH?

16. juliolugo

juliolugo Zealot (521) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

From B. United's Instagram, it looks like they've gotten into the habit of canning Schlenkerla Helles every 2 weeks-ish. I've only seen them in MA a couple times, but they seem to move pretty fast (and were probably small-ish drops) so I might have missed some.

https://www.instagram.com/bunitedint/

Their Instagram also shows some other cans I'd love to get my hands on...

rhino88888888 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  17. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

seconded. Really wish they'd can this but it's probably one of their better draws to the tap room.

18. AlcahueteJ

Pooh-Bah Society

I think at this point I might just ask my beer guy to get it. I think it's actually "canned to order"? A great summer session beer at 4.3%. Might as well ask about the Tipo as well.

The St. Georgen Brau Kellerbier is the one you're referencing I assume? If so, I had it on tap at Olde Magoun's, and wasn't particularly impressed by it. I'd heard great things though. Of course could have been an old keg.

I might try it again on a fresher palate.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  19. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Zealot (580) Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I had no idea they were canning any other imports besides Schlenkerla Helles and Tipo Pils. I'd love to try some of the others shown in their Instagram.

The Schlenkerla and the Tipo cans seem to be semi-regulars at Armsby and Row 34, but they may as well be on draft if you are drinking them on-site. I've only seen them at liquor stores around Boston a couple of times.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. AlcahueteJ

Pooh-Bah Society

Yup, it's not terribly difficult to find their Helles on tap at multiple bars. Tipo I've only seen at Slab in Portland (regularly too).

The best part about the four pack cans is that they're dated, something Schlenkerla historically hasn't done. Now if they will can their other offerings...now we're talkin'.

rhino88888888 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.