Referend Bier Blendery

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by HopBomb515, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (79) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

I guess I can speak to my own personal experience. I enjoyed the place when I went, but I didn't really enjoy the prices. I felt like I got my moneys worth, sure, but when you're charging 5-8 bucks for a 6oz pour, and the whole menu is priced like that, the place becomes a once in awhile, rare stop for me.

Also, and this might just be me (and a few friends that felt the same), the place really isn't that inviting of a spot. Drab, muted colored walls makes the place just feel boring.

tzieser likes this.
  2. MattyBlayze

MattyBlayze Initiate (45) Nov 3, 2015 New Jersey

Could be poor marketing on their part too. I like to think I'm pretty in-tuned to the local scene, and I had no clue they were even open on Thursdays. I feel like last time I heard, they had just committed to opening every Saturday!

RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  3. digdug1810

digdug1810 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

craft beer is still niche market stuff... what Referend is doing is a niche within a niche, i hope this doesn't stop them or hurt them financially because i love their beers so far and enjoy visiting, if they were within 20 mins of me i'd go more often.. they are on that distance bubble where i'll visit once a month if i can swing it

i had the new bottle a few months back when it was on draft and didn't care for it so i skipped this release

sanctus is the best beer that came out of NJ this year and probably best beer since the 2015 ANTEAD's, and it's still there

go get one if you haven't yet

mikeburd1128 and RutgersBeerGuy like this.
  4. HighlandFox

HighlandFox Initiate (0) May 27, 2016 Oregon

But it's not hazy and I still have 7-8 in the cellar.

#44 HighlandFox, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    digdug1810 likes this.
  5. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (218) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Not sure why people are so keen to compare everything to hazy IPAs. It makes even less sense that stuff like Veil goses, Answer growlers, Burley Pak JREAMs, and other canned sours gain so much hype traction while sour blended stuff from Referend doesn't.

6. digdug1810

it's kind of a new wave of craft drinker imo... #canculture

also, 64oz 4pk's of can kettle sour'd whatever run $14-20 where as 1 bottle of referend or any other producer of wild ales can be $15-25. not getting into the price thing here but there are many who don't want to risk dropping $20 for one bottle but will easily drop $20 for 4 cans.. maybe they don't like the beer and then have 3 cans to trade off... 1 bottle you crack it and you don't like it, then that's it

i think it's partially a learning curve.. like this past referend release i had it on tap before bottles, so i knew i didn't like it so i didn't go buy it... if somebody showed up for their first experience and get a bottle and pop it and don't like it, maybe they don't revisit bottles from referend... sure it's closed minded that one experience dictates others but that is how things work often enough

not saying any way is right or wrong, just hopefully more people have open minds/palates and visit this great spot in NJ

7. stmgl01

stmgl01 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2007 Pennsylvania

Now that the bar is in the front space instead of tucked in that weird back room the vibe is a little better but I agree, it is still a little drab. A mural in the main room would be nice and maybe some more inviting seating/lighting. I could see something like work lights being on during the day but then lamps and string lights et al during business hours to make it feel a little more cozy.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  8. stmgl01

stmgl01 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2007 Pennsylvania

Also, did anyone go to the improv show on Saturday night? Curious how it sounded in there!

9. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,147) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

+HVB

Name recognition, marketing, and heavily adjunct sours play a role here as well

mikeburd1128 and RutgersBeerGuy like this.
  10. digdug1810

was curious to this as well, seemed like a cool evening

11. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Aspirant (267) Jan 16, 2007 New York
    Trader

4-7 on Thursday and Friday. 2-8 on Saturday.

MattyBlayze likes this.
  12. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

13. digdug1810

def worth a visit

If you every are planning to hit troon, conclave etc., you can make a nice day out of all 3. Also a real nice NJ winery near by called Unionville if you or any traveling companions are more into wine. Love taking trips to all 4

SammyJaxxxx and RutgersBeerGuy like this.
  14. RutgersBeerGuy

Trader

15. RutgersBeerGuy

Trader

Also, for those who might not have been to the blendery in a bit, there are now two sizes for the pours...8 oz and 11 oz. Not all of the beers are available in both, but for those that are, it’s $1 more for the larger size. The 11 oz pours are served in the new tumblers that they posted on their Instagram a few weeks ago.

HighlandFox and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  16. jaymeisprime

jaymeisprime Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2014 New Jersey

opened a sanctus i got a couple weeks ago today. made the jets game bearable, fwiw. if any last past the weekend - i recommend grabbin some, really wasnt expecting to enjoy it this much based on description (“fresh grapes + port barrels”).

17. M-Fox24

Trader

18. M-Fox24

Trader

QCHopper and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  19. M-Fox24

Trader

cavedave, Nadtla and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I love Referend, and have been tasked with getting magnums for my friend's bachelor party in May. Won't be able to attend this coming release, but would love to trade for a 1.5 L bottle of Wittgenstein. If interested please PM, have plenty of "ammo".

21. Ieatlambfries

Ieatlambfries Zealot (580) Dec 5, 2003 New Jersey

Anniversary event was great today. Hope some of you made it out. Le Differend and Kyrie were stand outs for me.

22. M-Fox24

Trader

23. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

40 dollars for a 4-pack of beer.

I love their beers but please, everyone, do not buy this. That price will only go up if you do.

24. balto22

balto22 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New York

I don't think the pricing is too problematic personally. If they were 500mL bottles of the same beer for $10, that would seem totally normal. It is a fruited aged spontaneous beer after all.

SammyJaxxxx and William_Navidson like this.
  25. William_Navidson

Trader

That wouldn't be normal, that would definitely be on the lower end.

This pricing doesn't seem out of whack at all, unless you're comparing it to IPAs.

26. balto22

balto22 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New York

Thats true. I would be please if all delicious fruited sours were $10 for 500ml

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  27. Streaky

I think I'm getting to old for this sh!t.

TomFoley likes this.
  28. William_Navidson

Trader

I don't remember a time when $10 was an egregiously high price for 473ml of an aged, fruited sour.

balto22 and Streaky like this.
  29. William_Navidson

Trader

That being said, I'm 100% on board with people who think that prices of X release are too high actually following through and, you know, not supporting that behavior.

My biggest beer scene pet peeve is the hoards of people whining about price points who inevitably show up to buy it anyway, thereby being the driving force behind that price point.

cavedave, balto22 and mumbles44 like this.
  30. MightyTrustKrusher

MightyTrustKrusher Initiate (67) Nov 5, 2014 New Jersey

I don’t think it’s a ridiculous price considering the style. I think I spent $20 on a 750ml bottle there and didn’t feel like it was way too high. I think it just sounds worse when you compare it to other 4 packs.

SammyJaxxxx and balto22 like this.
  31. SammyJaxxxx

They sold out by 5:30 so the price doesn't sound so ridiculous.

balto22 and JosephThompson like this.
  32. JosephThompson

JosephThompson Initiate (137) Nov 29, 2011 New Jersey

I have yet to visit. For those who have and felt the vibe, if this was packaged in a 500ml bottle at $12 would it have sold out in 90 minutes?

33. Streaky

I just feel like at these prices you might as well start getting into wine. You can get some incredible bottles once you hit the 20s. Beer is supposed to be for the people. They call the style farmhouse because it was for regular people who worked on farms. Ten bucks for a can of beer is for rich people.

mumbles44 and FonyBones like this.
  34. SammyJaxxxx

For me, a $40 four pack of this is a better deal than a $20 four pack of a DDH IPA

This beer is really a specialty beer and it is priced accordingly.

JosephThompson and balto22 like this.
  35. M-Fox24

Trader

Doubtful

36. digdug1810

i think like you said, you're getting too old for this, or too burnt out on all the newer places

let people do what they wish and you do the same and you'll be all the merrier

good for referend.. glad to see a class act having success be it a product in a can/bottle/whatever, they are a business after all

37. Streaky

I liked what I've had there - although spontaneous fermenting is not a very safe practice and I wonder if it's the brewers or the customers who are going to get sick first when something goes wrong. I just don't like the mega-high premium prices right out the gate. They are barely a year old.

38. Fahmie25

Fahmie25 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2008 New York

This is some of the dumbest shit I’ve read in some time

39. Bdalik

Bdalik Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 New Jersey

i find this to be a testament to this aluminum possession obsession. for some reason, the cans just seem sexy and the liquid inside almost doesn't matter as much as the sticker its wrapped in or the line you wait on to get it. it's a slippery slope and i really wish people would get back to caring about the beer. people act like its almost a chore to drink draught beer now as they don't leave the house unless its for a can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.