Refrigerator/Apartment "Cellar"

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by BasedPham, Jun 4, 2018.

1. BasedPham

BasedPham Initiate (115) Mar 7, 2018 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but I'm kinda new to aging beers, so I couldn't really seem to find a definitive answer.

What's the best way to "cellar" stouts in an apartment? I've been just storing them in my closet, is that okay? I'm aware that making sure that temp doesn't fluctuate and that 50-55 degrees seems to be the best temperature. I would put them in my main refrigerator, but it's taking up too much space. So, is there any way to regulate temperature in a closet, or am I overthinking this? (I live in MA, if that helps at all)

If getting a beer fridge/wine fridge is the best option, what do you recommend (brands, links to one, features, etc.)?

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

2. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Disciple (335) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

I'm a big fan of the chest freezer with a temp controller method of cellaring. A lot cheaper than a wine fridge & you get more room for beer!

Cheers!

3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (395) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'm convinced this is the best method, but for many people (myself included) this is not optimal if you have a mini fridge if some sort around and/or do not have space for a freezer. This is the boat my wife and I are in. We received a wine fridge, and do not have the space or money to purchase something ourselves. So, this works well for us.

Is a fully temperature controlled environment better? It sure is. Is it necessary? Not absolutely.

If you're planning to keep low ABV beers (lambic specifically), especially for long-term aging, a temperature controlled environment is probably best. Outside of that, if you're looking to keep beers for primarily just a year or two, you'll be fine with just your closet. If you are looking at longer term aging, you may consider the temp controlled environment more. Further, if you typically buy more beer than you can consume fresh (here I really mean that you consume most things that you are not intentionally aging in about a year, but definitely not within a few months), and you end up finding that a year is making them more oxicidized than you'd prefer, you'd also benefit from cold storage (although, in that case likely stored colder than "cellar temp").

JimmyTheDook, kemoarps and youradhere like this.
  4. BasedPham

BasedPham Initiate (115) Mar 7, 2018 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Gotcha. I have some imperial stouts, but I'll probably drink them within the year. Thank you both for the great information!

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
  5. blkgld

blkgld Initiate (120) Mar 21, 2018 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Yea I'm struggling to find some good options for a wine/beer aging fridge. I have a full size basement fridge, but its kept too cold with all the IPAs I drink to be a proper cellar fridge for the stouts

6. BigIslandfarmer

I got my chest freezer for $180 & the temp controller for $30. $210 for 7 cubic feet of beer storage isn't that bad...

7. blkgld

Beer Trader

Issue is space with the chest freezer

8. BigIslandfarmer

No room in the basement next to the full size fridge? Five cubic foot freezers aren't that big.

9. blkgld

Beer Trader

Good point, guess it's more of a (wife) perception issue rather than a true space issue.

10. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (395) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Two people in my family have a mini fridge to donate if I want it. I do, then I have 1 cellar fridge for true cellaring, and 1 for stuff I may want to drink on any given day. Presently the wine-fridge we have is serving double duty, but obviously does not have enough room
    For both.

I am not looking forward to telling the wife I want a second one :slight_smile:, even if it is free, perception is everything.

11. BigIslandfarmer

Guess I'm lucky. My GF let me keep it in our bedroom when we lived in an apartment. I used it as my nightstand lol.

the_ceeeeg likes this.