Refrigerator as a cellar

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Curb71, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curb71

Curb71 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 California

Has anyone turned their refrigerator thermostats all the way up to see what temp the unit stays around? Does this number fluctuate based on the manufacture/size/etc? I'm familiar with the Johnson temp control units but curious if that's necessary or healthy for the fridge to constantly loose all power instead of shutting down the way it was designed.

2. srgehl

srgehl Initiate (101) Oct 22, 2014 New Jersey

there is a lot of vairables that could affect the answer to your question. like is it a fridge or a fridge freezer combo? Is the temp control inside the fridge a digtal or anolog? But as someone who works on refrigeration for a living there is no averse effect to using a johnson control to turn the fridge on and off. Thats exactly what the internal thermostat does everyday. the only difference is with the johnson controller your inside light turn off too.

Gables and Premo88 like this.
  3. Sneex

Sneex Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 Rhode Island

I've got a standard top freezer fridge. It's turned "down" so that the fridge compartment holds between 50 and 55, and the freezer ends up between 15-20. The wife hates that the freezer is useless. Great for keeping beer and wine, though!

4. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (470) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I have a full side freezer less fridge that holds a steady 47-49 at almost the lowest setting. I've measured the temp with a dual probe digital thermometer over the course of a few months and it is very steady.

5. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'm impressed that it gets that warm. Most seem to be in the mid to upper 40s. At its warmest, mine sits around 46.

6. KRubes

KRubes Zealot (547) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society

I've been doing some research on this too. Thinking about purchasing a freezer-less fridge and going this route or adding a Johnson control. Good intel here. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.