Regret your beer collection?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Homebrew42, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (500) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

OP- for me It was a combination of the enumerated reasons you listed, in conjunction with the explosion of the craft scene. When I could no longer get the good locals because everyone and their dog was now after them, and I could no longer trade for an interesting beer from a far off locale without having to take into consideration the ever-mutating "market value" of said beer, I decided that the hobby was on the wane for me.

Gave away/ sold all the beer in my ~500 bottle collection, and I don't regret it save the fact that the few beers I now want I could have traded for with the bottles I had saved :slight_smile:
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  2. jae

jae Initiate (196) Feb 21, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

I drink through things pretty well, though every once in a while I have to "remind" myself to take that 2010 Darkness to a dinner party to share. I definitely get grabby at certain times, with certain bottles.
  3. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2004 New York
    Beer Trader

That's right around the time we last saw you at a tasting isn't it Homebrew? If only you had not moved, we would have helped you put a dent in your cellar. And you could have helped us do the same - since you know a bunch of us in our area share your affliction :slight_smile: Cheers and hope you're doing well!
  4. Theortiz01

Theortiz01 Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm honestly surprised I'm still "cellar" has taken up a whole extra fridge, two closets, and half of our food pantry...
    Zimbo and JasonLovesBeer like this.
  5. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,456) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

(1) yes, and it's not even all that big.
    (2) yes, just once, and since i moved to the city my beer cellar is now in a different state than me.
    (3) yes. just yes. :slight_frown:
    (4) yes, at least in terms of the fact that i don't really have any business utilizing any of the designated space.
    (5) always yes.
    (6) actually no... my friends are interested-ish, which is basically the one redeeming quality of putting away the 50 or so bottles i have.

all that said, i didn't cellar any (relatively) expensive beer long term. if i'm dropping $30+ on a bottle, it's being drank soon. if those olde schools and old stocks and bigfoots and stone IRS and such turn to shit, it's not a huge loss. and also, at this point, the majority of my stash is stuff i've cellared in the past and know comes out well (pretty things our finest regards, the others mentioned above) or beer i wasn't really into fresh so it can only get better.

i don't know if i full on regret it, but all told i think i would have cut it even more, maybe like 10 bottles max.
  6. Mbennett

Mbennett Aspirant (270) Jun 16, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

No I don't regret keeping a cellar - but I'm not sure I even have enough bottles to call it a "cellar." I try to keep between 10-15 beers stored for special occasions. I find that after 2 years >90% of beers will start falling off anyway (besides sours and lambics).
  7. CerealKillerKP

CerealKillerKP Initiate (0) May 24, 2009 Kentucky

This is called buyer's remorse. If you bought beers that age well and are fairly sought after, you can probably sell them and break even. I'm not condoning selling them for big profits ala *, but at least you can break even and not have to regret your collection anymore.
  8. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Crusader (700) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Somewhat off topic, but on the other side of the spectrum I'm considering the possibility of creating a limited cellar in my basement. I started reading through these forums to get ideas on temp requirements, duration, styles, etc and then came across this page. I'm glad that I read it and I appreciate some of the warning signs that you all are posting for me.
  9. isturbo1984

isturbo1984 Initiate (0) May 25, 2013 Washington

I own no cellar (lives in condo) and don't make enough money to shelf my beer for later, lol. But if you are regretting your hoard, I would suggest sit back and start enjoying them. Start drinking and that collection will come down to a nice, comfortable size you won't regret. Or just give me your address and I can help ya out! :slight_smile:
  10. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

Sounds straight forward but it's not always that simple. Of course I'm drinking and enjoying them (the ones that haven't gone to complete crap), but when you have hundreds or thousands of large format high abv bottles, and you work a lot of hours, you can only drink so many in a week. Just to make up numbers, say you have 1,000 bottles and only really have one or two nights a week where you can sit down and drink a 750 of 10% ABV'll take you 500+ weeks to drink down your collection.
    bozodogbreath and cosmicevan like this.
  11. isturbo1984

isturbo1984 Initiate (0) May 25, 2013 Washington

I get ya... makes sense. That, sir, is what we in the video game scene call a "backlog," lol. Still. An amazing and impressive cellar you got there. So, some of them are gong bad??
  12. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

I have not been impressed with the results for a good number of the bottles I open.
    DashFaster likes this.
  13. beer456

beer456 Initiate (189) Nov 24, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

What a problem to have. :slight_smile:
  14. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2009 Virginia

Im looking at a closet full of 500+ bottles. I don't regret amassing that much, but I certainly regret certain purchases. I do get to share a lot which is something I really like doing, gives me an excuse to open something, gives me a second opinion, and someone to enjoy the company. I can pull almost anything I'm in the mood for I would say at a moments notice but there are a lot of boxes to dig through. I suppose my biggest qualm is insufficient space.
  15. Superflyjsc

Superflyjsc Aspirant (267) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I started amassing more and more bottles thought the past year as well. Around last month I wanna say I had about 50-70 bottles cellared. Not a lot compared to others but for me, a single guy living in an small apartment that was a lot and I was getting worries this was getting out of hand. Fortunately April has been a quiet month in terms of newly anticipated releases so I haven't had much urge to do any significant beer runs in a while. Before I would do beer runs like 1-2 times a week. I would keep buying more beers quicker than I could drink em. But due to the slow month I haven't done a big time beer haul in a while and have fortunately been able to drink down my collection to a comfortable level.
  16. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'm currently in the building process and while I'm not regretting it yet, I started trading off some quantity for quality. I'd like to ideally keep it under 100 bottles to have a nice grip on it.
  17. beerborn

beerborn Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Georgia

I read this post awhile back and have come back to about a week later with the decision that I am killing off my cellar as well. I have approximately 200-300 bottles and while I haven't had a bad experience drinking any of them yet, I'm sure a bad bottle or two will turn up.

I decided to end this 'love affair' with my cellar because after a long conversation with my father, friend, and wife, have ultimately decided that the cellaring of beer has truly taken away from the drink fresh, drink local mantra that I truly believe in. I don't regret creating (read: purchasing a $1600) cellar to stock...however I look forward to getting back to my roots in local beers that I stumble across opposed to hunting them down.
  18. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Totally understand this. I want to drink growlers of beer from the many great Vancouver breweries I'm so lucky to have around most of the time, and open a special bottle once or twice a week tops. However, I have fallen prey to the need to not miss the latest awesome release from one of the many awesome breweries I am able to get nowadays (local distribution has gotten a lot better over the last year), and end up drinking almost exclusively these bottles just to avoid my entire apartment filling with beer.
  19. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Disciple (355) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

yeah 75-100 bottles seems to be the most I would want. not enough that I look at it and wonder wtf has become of myself, but large enough that I have some sweet choices if I feel like something really nice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.