Regular Heady Consumer Tries Pliny The Elder

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Heady978, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomdee74

Tomdee74 Aspirant (269) Jan 18, 2009 Connecticut

c'mon let's not crucify Pliny! We all know it's a great beer and held it's own for a long time. I would still love to get my hands on it... I think there's a lot of love for both... we don't need to pit one against the other... let's just say two great beers and be happy... : )

smutty33 likes this.
  2. Revenant

Revenant Aspirant (280) Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

Missing Abrasive right now :slight_frown:

3. Joah52

Joah52 Initiate (50) Apr 30, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I just find this threat amusing. Drink both of the beers a few times before forming an opinion #1. I drank Heady first, a whole case worth first, and I've drank Pliny in a few trades and multiple times at bars in Philly. I love both for completely different reasons because they aren't that similar. In my opinion the VT ipa's are kind of similar (pure hoppiness) and the CA ipa's are more balanced. For that reason I like them both. I will say the reason I like Heady the best, is cause after you drink one in a night...other beers start to taste bad!

Cheers

teraflx likes this.
  4. grrrah

grrrah Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Your opinion sucks!

I mean, that's the point of this thread right?

5. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Aspirant (259) Feb 14, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Pliny is way too popular to be good anymore.

infiniteloop and feloniousmonk like this.
  6. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Initiate (141) Dec 13, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

^^

This is the funniest thread I've seen all day...

7. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

I once had a beer I liked more than another one. True story

KWMiles likes this.
  8. jdklks

jdklks Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2007 Maryland

This [type of] conversation will never go away. Not that I want it to. To the OP, and other "elder doesn't even compare" people: I totally agree, I don't think elder should be as high on the list as it is and heady is a much better DIPA (along with at least a dozen other DIPAs I could name off the top of my head). But the real conversation, the one that matters (haha, as if any of our conversations on here matter!) is heady vs. younger. In that battle, younger gets the nod hands down, not even close, every day of the week.

9. pb3

pb3 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2011 Virginia

Zombie Dust has pretty amazing nose. This years Lag Sucks is damn good too.

10. theconductor

theconductor Aspirant (213) Nov 4, 2008 California

Okay, I'm ready

1. PtY

I started the list based on your post.

11. lewisti

lewisti Initiate (166) Nov 7, 2001 Connecticut

I gotta say I finallly just got to try my first Heady this weekend, and its a nice beer but after a recent steady diet of Enjoy By, Sucks, Hoptimum, Double Trouble, among others, it was a little bit of a letdown. Plus all those floaters from the hop resins were a little wierd.

12. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,126) Mar 1, 2009 California

I agree, I'd choose Younger over both all day, every day. I still find PtE a better crafted beer than Heady. But I have to ask. Why is the "real conversation" that matters a 8% beer vs a 10.75% beer? Not really apples to apples.

13. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Never had either so, I'll hold judgement. Weird part is I do have some Conan yeast to use in my next brew though :sunglasses:

14. mnstorm99

Still some at my local, dated 12/6, but still in the fridge (oh, and canned:grinning: ). I considered not buying it, but was happy I did...still delicious.

Revenant likes this.
  15. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (968) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

I like the people using the Pliny is old school and should be respected defense. Heady is new to being canned but it has been around many years. And really, the west coast styles are new school in my mind.

franklinn likes this.
  16. franklinn

franklinn Initiate (0) May 29, 2012 Vermont

Am I allowed to talk about how I like Heady better, considering that I didn't name my account after it?

Because I would like to talk about that, just verifying that it's okay with Brad the Great Seven

mnstorm99 likes this.
  17. mnstorm99

This thread is great. Dismissing an opinion because of the user name of the OP.

For what it's worth, Heady is the top of the BA list, but PtE held that spot for most of my time here. Heady wasn't up there until Alchemist decided to put all of their focus into a single beer (good for them). But BradtheGreat7 seems to have missed the fact that a lot more than just this homer might prefer Heady Topper.

18. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

The Leslie Knope Headline of this thread would be:

Member Since January with 'Heady' in Username Thinks Pliny the Elder Not as Good as Heady Topper. Thread Goes Just as You Think it Would. Same Thread Will be Made in Another Three Months.

19. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,579) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Who really cares either way!? Drink what you like and let others drink what they like. Posts that downplay beers that thousands of BA's love tend to make you look like a troll.

20. mnstorm99

Troll or not, they get A LOT of attention.

21. Cboat

Cboat Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 California

Pliny is crazy cheap... What price are you getting yours at? Locally PtE is $4.50-$5 for the Pints which is crazy cheap for it's awesomeness. The only HT I've gotten was $6 in a can and $7 on tap both times in Philly. Also have gotten PtE on tap in Philly at $6 and $5 in SF. Not sure if you're being sarcastic?

teraflx likes this.
  22. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

[​IMG]

i finally had the chance to try them last night, both amazing !

this one really blew me away though, i'd love to get more of it

[​IMG]

23. LukeH

LukeH Initiate (0) May 5, 2013 Minnesota

I had some Pliny on tap while on vacation in CO a few years back. I hadn't heard of it before; I was just getting into craft beers at that time and told the manager at the restaurant that I wanted to try a good IPA and he recommended the Pliny. I loved it; I'd tried a number of IPA's before and I've tried many since then, but Pliny is still the best I've had and I've been chasing an IPA that can live up to it since then. I think that the problem for many who are just trying it for the first time is that it's been so built up. It's like when everyone says "that was a GREAT movie, you have to watch it." You end up expecting to have your mind blown and your life forever altered. For anyone who is trying Pliny for the first time, here's what I recommend; pretend you'd just read a bunch of reviews, and the general consensus seems to be "meh, it's an all right IPA, but nothing special."

Andrew041180 likes this.
  24. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Crusader (700) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I had the same experience with Heady. I stopped at a pub on the way back from a trip to Vermont (completely unrelated to beer, didn't stop at any breweries) and ordered one since I thought I had remembered a friend of mine mentioning it in the past. Just like you Luke, the chase is on.

LukeH likes this.
  25. dougfur

dougfur Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 New York

Heady Topper is 12 dollars per 4 pack at the cannery, which is the main place people buy it. As you mentioned, there are a handful of places that sell cans elsewhere, but they sell it by the can, and jack the price way up. I'm no expert on Pliny pricing, but the one time I was able to get it, it was 6 dollars per pint. If you can get it for 5.00, that reduces the difference a bit, but I still stand by what I said; not that Pliny is outrageous, just that it's priced towards the high end of production DIPA's. Heady Topper, despite it's incredible hype, remains one the cheapest world class DIPA's out there (and I have to believe that Heady has more ingrediants in it, and that it's produced on a much smaller scale). I think they deserve credit for that. I also think the "single-beer" cannery idea should be raising eyebrows out there.
    Anyone from the bay area want to chime in and tell us what Pliny costs at its equivalent to Waterbury, VT? I'm prepared to be wrong here...

26. dougfur

dougfur Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 New York

Oops, I guess maybe you are in the Bay area...

27. Kinsman

Kinsman Champion (873) Aug 26, 2009 California

Glad someone pointed this out. Just looking at the reviews for each, their first reviews are only about 6 months apart.

28. JayORear

JayORear Savant (930) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

The more I see this thread title on the home page feed, the more it looks like a headline from The Onion.

29. ChugLife

ChugLife Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Pliny. Way more balanced. The Heady I had was nothing special. Sometimes I feel people are just trying to represent their side of the country with this battle.

Food for thought... What if Russian River stopped brewing all their beers, brewed only 1 double IPA and made it a brewery only release. Would Heady even stand a chance? Probably not.

30. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (4,059) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Agreed with all of the above. Although I hope Russian River NEVER stops making their wild ales- I gotta have my Supplication and Sanctification.

Beerandraiderfan and ChugLife like this.
  31. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Meyvn (1,247) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

do you even alpine bruh

Sarlacc83 and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  32. Cboat

Cboat Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 California

Lol, yea I'm located in the Bay area and I think bottles rarely make it out of state so I've only really seen it on tap other places. $12 a 4 pack is fantastic, but I feel like the $$ difference between Santa Rosa ($4 or $4.50 at the brewery I can't remember exactly) and Waterbury is simply a matter of California being more expensive than Vermont and not a reflection of breweries up-charging simply because they can.

33. brywhite

brywhite Meyvn (1,227) Aug 27, 2009 California

More threads like this = more Pliny for me. Thank you OP!

ChugLife likes this.
  34. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

Yes it will still be better

35. kansascitytrader

kansascitytrader Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2011 Kansas

Pliny VS Heady?
    Ill just take an Ethos...

36. ChugLife

ChugLife Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Let me guess... East coast? Yep.

37. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

Jealous west coasters. Just admit its better not to mention numerous west coast ipas better then Pliny. I could say the same thing ant. "Let me guess west coast ":-)

38. BMitch

BMitch Initiate (170) Jul 10, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Ohhhh the irony...

39. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

Isn't that more like hypocrisy?

cosmonick likes this.
  40. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Nevada

Upon reading this thread, I must concur with Jeff Albertson (comic book guy). . .

"Oh, I've wasted my life."

Sarlacc83 and franklinn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.