Rehoboth Beach?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, May 30, 2019.

1. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (418) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Going to Rehoboth Beach in a few weeks and would like to bring some cans back to stock my fridge. I noticed, however, that the local breweries are charging $20+ for a 4 pack of 16 oz cans. Any idea of where I can get some cans that I can't get in PA, but for a decent price? Will probably spend time in Lewes and Dewey as well, so recommendations near those locations would work too.

2. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,991) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I always hit up both Atlantic Liquors and Outlet Liquors on Rt 1 in Rehoboth Beach.

3. Jelavelle

Jelavelle Initiate (69) Jun 29, 2014 Delaware
    Trader

R&L Liquors in Lewes, plus Dewey Beer Co., Big Oyster is putting out decent stuff. Not that much of a drive west isn’t Burley Oak.

4. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (121) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Revelation, Dogfish Head, and Dewey Beer Co are the best options down there. Distro is pretty weak.

5. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (560) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Been to Reheboth many times but never found anything in stores down there that intrigued me enough to stock up but I guess that’s what happens when NY gets spoiled with ridiculous distro. I also noticed freshness as being an issue with “local” can options.

That being said, I would definitely hit up Dewey Beer Co (very short drive, take the back route along the intracoastal). Went last year and really enjoyed the offerings. They didn’t have any cans available that day but looks like they’ve been pushing more out lately.

A must stop for food and drinks is Henlopen Oyster Bar. Do not skip that. Sometimes they have a “hidden” bottle list.

6. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (105) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

Not super close, but Burley Oak is just under an hour away... FWIW

BeastOfTheNortheast and bl00 like this.
  7. emandrisdad

emandrisdad Initiate (122) Sep 30, 2002 New Jersey

I agree. Henlopen City Oyster House is a must visit. Heading down in 2 weeks myself.

8. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (213) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

The boys from HCOH opened a place down the block attached to the Avenue Inn, The Blue Hen, worth checking out. Has an outdoor seating area.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  9. BoardwalkBock

Also tries that place last year. Was definitely worth it.

10. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (165) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

$16-$24 is pretty much the norm now outside of the nationally distributed stuff.

11. RocketFrogDavid

RocketFrogDavid Zealot (596) Apr 29, 2010 Virginia
    Society Industry

Aside from the mentioned above, all great recommendations, I would also add the Pickled Pig Pub to the list. It's on Rt. 1 by some of the outlets.

12. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,743) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

Hit up both Dogfish Brewery ion Milto, and then 20 minutes away the Dogfishe Brewpub (both offer cans and bottles). The stores are not going to have anything you would want (from your statements). I would also hit up Iron Hill Brewing on the way out (they are next to the outlets on the way out), they make some decent brews, not sure about cans or bottles, but they do growlers.

13. BeastOfTheNortheast

Thanks for all of your input. Have been to Revelation and DFH, so they are a must. I think we are going to try to hit up Dewey and possibly Big Oyster. HCOH is on the list for dinner one night as well. According to Untappd, they have some pretty good offerings there.

14. BeastOfTheNortheast

As far as stuff to bring back, I probably won't be bringing much then. That's ok since we will be going to Cape May shortly there after.

15. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (213) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

You will likely have better luck for dinner at the Blue Hen, HCOH can get packed, especially for their Happy Hour. Place next to HCOH, Salt Air, is outstanding, but I'm not sure about their beer selection these days.

16. emandrisdad

emandrisdad Initiate (122) Sep 30, 2002 New Jersey

Blue Hen is also very good. Same happy hour as HCOH 3-5. I usually start at Blue Hen. Have something there and then get an oyster order in at HCOH before 5.

17. Jelavelle

Jelavelle Initiate (69) Jun 29, 2014 Delaware
    Trader

6/15 at Atlantic Liquors there will be a can release of Equilibrium beers.

18. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (446) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

If you get to HCOH right at 3 or perhaps a little before you should be fine. The fried oyster sandwiches are a great happy hour food.

If you want to try some Big Oyster brews in town, you can then jump over to happy hour at Fins Fish House after it ends at HCOH. The plate of steamed shrimp happy hour deal there is fantastic, although I preferred the old decor in the bar area.

19. BoardwalkBock

I usually go to HCOH around 3ish and sit at the bar, when I’m in the area. Never really had to wait more than 20 mins for a seat. And I’m there in early July.

20. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (114) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

Yeah early is the way to go at HCOH. I’ve even stopped by for a brew or two after a run while the family is at the beach before I rejoin them. When we go for dinner it’s always a looooong wait (but worth it).

21. BeastOfTheNortheast

Ended up only going to DFH in Milton. Didn't make it to HCOH either, which was pretty upsetting for me.

The DFH tour was incredible. I thought Tröegs put on a good tour until now. If anyone sees this and is in the Rehoboth area, you have to go to DFH in Milton and take the tour if you are able to.

VABA likes this.
  22. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (263) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

The growlers and crowlers ($1 extra) of the “exclusive” stuff at both the Dogfish brewery and the pub used to be prohibitively expensive (much, much higher than the core beers), but they’ve dropped the prices a lot lately. Some of the brewery-only stuff is totally worth picking up.

VABA and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  23. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,515) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

Agreed. I am a tad annoyed you now have to pay for a tasting but you now get 4 good sized glasses of anything going. The recent Rum Barrel Palo was pretty mind altering.....

VABA and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  24. BeastOfTheNortheast

Agreed that the Rum BA Palo was amazing. They actually had quite a bit of crazy offerings this past week. I believe there were 4-5 BA beers as well as 2 NEIPAs. Was pretty awesome to try.

My brother picked up a bottle of the Hordeum Vulgarity, which sounded pretty intriguing. All in all, I think that place was pretty awesome.

VABA and Mrstiffington like this.
  25. Crumps_Brother

Crumps_Brother Initiate (66) Jun 24, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

anyone have any issues w/ Dewey Secret Machine cans exploding?

26. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,793) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

I’ve had sours from them explode on me. They say not to store any of their cans at room temperature, keep refrigerated the whole time. I like their beers a lot, but they need to work on improving their canning, I’ve had IPAs and Stout build up a lot of carbonation in less than a month, some even oxidized on me in a short time.

VABA likes this.
  27. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (275) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

No doubt they weren't the "decent price" OP was looking to pay,

Mrstiffington likes this.