Reliable Beers Throughout Your Beer Journey

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DaverCS, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaverCS

DaverCS Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

Is there a beer that you have always considered great and don’t see a time where you will ever stop buying it? Is there a beer that you loved when you first got into craft beer and still enjoy and buy it to this day?

For me, Hennepin by Ommegang was one of the first revolutionary beers I tried that really got me into the craft beer movement. A couple years into this journey, I still love the beer and will continue to buy it for as long as it is made because, for me, it is one tasty beer!

What beer is that for you?

2. degbert

degbert Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2009 Texas

Fuller's EBS. Real Ale Brewhouse Brown. Odell 90 Shilling. Hops and Grain The One They Call Zoe. Brooklyn Lager. Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout.

3. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,585) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Odell IPA. On others... hard. Depends on season/style. *shrugs*

4. vshay

vshay Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2013 Pennsylvania

Weyerbacher Merry Monks
    Ommegang Abbey Ale

brianwsnyder and DaverCS like this.
  5. Ljudsignal

Ljudsignal Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2013 Massachusetts

Anything by Notch. Smuttynose Old Brown Dog and Finestkind. Mayflower Porter. Allagash Tripel. Dupont Saison. Ayinger Maibock and Ur-Weisse.

...Come to think of it, that's a good chunk of my overall "most consumed beer" list too. Guess it just goes to show that the standbys are standbys for a reason.

6. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,164) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

60 minute IPA
    Storm King from Victory

7. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,302) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina
    Society

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
    60 Minute IPA
    Victory Prima Pils
    Weihenstephaner helles lager
    Paulaner original lager

8. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

I would have to say Sierra Nevada Pale and Lagunitas IPA are two that have never failed me and have been in my regular rotation since I cut my teeth on craft with SN Pale.

PalatePilot, SaltofOH and BodiesLexus like this.
  9. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (306) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Rochefort 10 is typically my go to "treat" beer

10. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Harpoon IPA and Black Butte porter for 16 years. I'd say they have been pretty reliable for me and easy going down!

BodiesLexus likes this.
  11. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

Boulevard unfiltered wheat, don't drink it nearly as much as I used to but still love this beer.

DaverCS likes this.
  12. Campfire-Kev

Campfire-Kev Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2014 Arkansas

This goes back a ways and starts in the 80's. First I'd have to say Widmer Hef. Although it isn't enjoyable for me unless on tap. Others include Bridgeport IPA, Black Butte Porter, Full Sail Amber. I established my craft beer journey with these in Oregon back in the 80's, early 90's and still enjoy them today.

13. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

Bell's Expedition and Founders Imperial Stout stand atop the heap when it comes to consistency in that particular category. Probably the only thing that has changed is their availability. I remember when Expedition was considered limited and hard-to-obtain.

On the smaller side, I've never been disappointed with Anchor Porter and Founders Porter.

And while I don't drink them much anymore, I have to say DFH 60 Minute and 90 Minute are still durable, rock-solid IPAs. Fads may come and go, but those two beers still endure.

DaverCS and BodiesLexus like this.
  14. Beerwolf666

Beerwolf666 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013 Maryland

Shit Man....I Know I always sound like some kind of "Sierra Nevada" Rep...But Honestly,how in the Hell can you do any better Dollar for Dollar? and Their "Pale Ale" & "Torpedo" will ALWAYS have a shelf in My Beer Fridge! :wink:

15. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2015 Colorado

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier and Zywiec Porter. Both have consistently satisfied since I first got into craft beer. I know Zywiec isn't the best ever, but something about it resonates with me. And Weihenstephaner? You just can't argue a better Hefe.

16. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Texas

Another vote for Weihenstephaner Hefe. This beer is almost perfect everytime I have one. Haven't had another brew with that kind of consistency.

emalc, DaverCS, Mlkluther and 3 others like this.
  17. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,150) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

Allagash White is still a great beer as well as FBS.

18. BodiesLexus

BodiesLexus Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2011 New York

Anchor Porter. It's simply the first world-class beer I ever tasted, and it blew my doors off at the time, from appearance to aromatics, to solidness of body, to nuance of multiple taste notes achieved. It is a cheap, easy-to-get beer that opened my eyes to what was possible from simple, to-style beers made the right way ... and it continues to be a staple in my fridge. People need to remain aware of what the basis of the style is, and remain aware that modern-day brewers still produce great to-style regular beers that are noteworthy.

elektrikjester, Brolo75 and TongoRad like this.
  19. ahbithwabm

ahbithwabm Devotee (405) Apr 27, 2013 Illinois

20. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,882) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Stone IPA. It tastes exactly the same as the first time I ever had it, and that is saying a lot from someone who exclusively drinks IPAs. Sometimes I go months in between drinking it, but it always pulls me back when options are limited.

21. Mlkluther

Mlkluther Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 Canada (AB)

Unibroue La Fin du Monde.

The first time I had this beer it blew me away. I still enjoy it every time I get it - which is often.

22. TheWolf

TheWolf Disciple (348) May 26, 2015 Delaware
    Trader

Stone IPA
    Bell's 2HA

StoneBrewing and TheIPAHunter like this.
  23. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (650) Mar 28, 2009 California

Sierra Nevada just anout anything.

Sure Its not truck chasing worthy but they always brew consistent and great/good beers. Plus, I can always pick up a 12er of torpedo, pale, summerfest, mix packs etc for $13. Those times I don't have the money or just don't feel like spending $9-11 on a 6 pack Sierra Nevada is always there.

24. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,818) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

For me its yuengling.

25. Himself

Himself Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

Founder's Centennial and Clown Shoes Space Cake

elektrikjester likes this.
  26. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Came here to say this! The first time I drank it (before looking at this site) I knew it was a special beer. I was at that age where I was used to HG Malt Liquors and Rochefort 10 showed me Around! Still my favorite Brew.

McMatt7 and cmiller4642 like this.
  27. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,867) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Two Hearted and La Fin du Monde, Allagash Curiuex is my once a year treat

28. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Almost anything from Sierra Nevada is a reliable beer, Pale Ale, Torpedo, Porter, Stout, their seasonal beers, especially when it comes to value, Sierra Nevada has great prices.

29. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,033) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

Ommegang Hennepin.
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
    Duvel.
    Genesee Cream Ale.
    And then all the rest of the Sierra Nevada stable.

DaverCS likes this.
  30. zid

zid Meyvn (1,243) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Schlenkerla Marzen

31. frozen-1984

frozen-1984 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2014 Tennessee

1554 black ale. Still solid.

emalc, Hrodebert and Mlkluther like this.
  32. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (61) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

definitely racer 5. also port mongo and anything by unibroue

JayORear, DaverCS and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  33. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,302) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina
    Society

the beers above i still LOVE but they were my introduction to craft beer, at first i didn't like bitter beers but i have found "gateway beers".

Lagunitas SUCKS
    Stone Ruination
    Stone Enjoy By
    Duvel

D-HopSupreme and Professor_Yeesh like this.
  34. crobinso

crobinso Savant (922) Nov 21, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

FW Union Jack and Wookey Jack. La Fin due Monde as well.

35. Boomblaze

Boomblaze Initiate (112) Dec 31, 2010 Massachusetts

Berkshire Oktoberfest, one of favorite beers for over 15 years

DaverCS likes this.
  36. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2015 Colorado

In the same vein, Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale was a gateway for me into hoppy/bitter beer. Pretty solid brew.

SaltofOH and Wiffler27 like this.
  37. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,956) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

No matter what airport I am in there is always hope in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and or Sam Adams Lager.

38. hillind

hillind Aspirant (257) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Sierra Nevada Celebration, and Bigfoot for that matter. Prima Pils also comes to mind.

BriantheBeerGeek likes this.
  39. SaltofOH

SaltofOH Champion (870) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Unibroue La Fin Du Monde. Didn't know there was such a thing as craft beer at the time, I just knew the (college) bar I went to charged the same for it as all the other imports, but it was 9% and I was on a budget. Loved it then and love it now (for very different reasons). Same goes for Great Lakes Eliot Ness. When I finally graduated and had two nickels to rub together in my pocket, it was my gateway beer, and I still buy a sixer every fall.

40. Mlkluther

Mlkluther Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 Canada (AB)

I can't get Sierra Nevada beers where I live in Canada. I was down in the states last month and I got my hands on SNPA, Nooner, Kellerweiss, and Hop Hunter.

I brought back a case of Pale Ale and Hop Hunter across the border. I got them for 13.79. To a Canadian to be able to get 12 beer for 13.79 is unimaginable - let alone good beer.

If I could buy Hop Hunter for 13.79 a case it would be in my fridge always. Always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.