Replies to ratings?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Roybert, Jul 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,336) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I am against this idea too and the post bellow:

Sums up my thoughts rather eloquently. I don't see the point to engage a genuine review and one's taste and preferences. It will only add further confusion in the beer reviews pages or as TheIPAHunter said, its before all your own opinion on a beer and someone challenging that won't make you change your mind or palate so to speak.

2. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,919) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Sort by “top rater” meets this need for me. Or finding a review from a specific BA who is not a top reviewer.

I suspect most people here are capable of dismissing the review you described and just pass over it.

No upvoting / downvoting. That would make this site too much like the rest of the internet.

If someone wants to engage a reviewer he or she can PM the person.

3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,933) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Suppose that downvoting was allowed, then how do you deal with someone who downvotes reviews not because they are poor reviews but becase they don't like the person who wrote the reviews?

4. riegler

riegler Initiate (88) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

I agree wholeheartedly. I remember looking up a local beer to check if there were any reviews (there's not a ton of active BA users where I'm located) and to my surprise there were a few. Then I happen to notice that one rated it a 4.51 and basically just used the commercial description as his review and another review was a 5/5. Now mind you, this beer was okay, but definitely not 5/5 material. I come to find out that the 4.51 review was from the guy who designed the label for the beer and works as their graphic designer and the 5/5 review was from the guy who owns the beer company (it is technically contract brewed, so not sure I can call him the "brewer"). They definitely had a vested interest to inflate this beer's ratings as high as possible. Funny enough, they've both been inactive on this site for over two years. They both made accounts just to review the beer and haven't been back since!:grin:

I suppose they are allowed to review beers like anyone else, but this is basically the same idea of what could happen if you allow brewers to start replying to reviews and intimidating people into writing "good" reviews of their beers.

5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,933) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I agree mostly, except that you seem to have missed out over the years on some of the cases where people were being highly critical of or even hateful towards brewers even when the brewer in question had been participating in the thread. So actually a skew could occur for some brewers, as you say, or against some brewers. But in either event, as you say that would distort accomplisment of the basic purpose of this site.

6. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (686) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

No vote on allowing replies, especially from brewers.

I used to occasionally post Yelp reviews, and and it was crazy how some restaurant owners would come after me after a negative review. Literally. I had one bar owner post my photo to his FB page, calling me every name in the book and then having his followers pile on. And my review wasn't all that harsh. I know it's happened to others as well.

Some people just don't take constructive criticism well.

7. officerbill

officerbill Aspirant (295) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

After reading the responses about this I've changed my mind.

I was thinking of the larger brewers, whose PR folks would respond with a sentence. The ones who look at brewing beer as a business where a single bad review is not a big deal and the brewer isn't personally responding to emails, tweets, etc.

I wasn't thinking about the small shops with owners and staff who might take a low review personally. I can see how a small local brewer might react to a negative review of a beer he spent months perfecting and respond to what he considered an attack on his craft. It wouldn't be beneficial for anyone involved.

PapaGoose03, bluejacket74 and drtth like this.
  8. rudzud

rudzud Poo-Bah (6,686) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Oh I've definitely been contacted by brewers in the past over reviews, be it of their beer or their establishment. Good talks.

9. dbl_delta

dbl_delta Poo-Bah (1,973) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

My perception of the objective of BA ratings is to provide its users with a means of recording their honest opinions, not to achieve consensus among all reviewers. Allowing others to comment on/argue with a review would likely degenerate into a digital argument that would be a disincentive to future reviews by the reviewer.
    If somebody (including the brewer) really has issues with my review, they can always PM me. In fact, I'd WELCOME a PM showing me the error of my ways. I might learn something - and it might even persuade me to edit my review if I thought I was off base.
    But I don't need to be called out in front of all BA users. That might make me kinda leery of posting another review, and I'm a pretty enthusiastic reviewer. Newer or more thin-skinned reviewers would likely be outta here. And that would be a loss for BA.

rudiecantfail likes this.
  10. Todd

Todd Founder (5,642) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Changed my mind. As we won't be adding this feature, there's no point discussing it and creating confusion.

I do appreciate those who took the time to discuss though.

Thanks, all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.