Revolution Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by dukeandduke, Jan 1, 2019.

1. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,225) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Looking forward to the Straight Jacket and Boss Ryeway releases on Friday, January 18th. Was able to snag these and good variants at the Brewery on the Saturday following the Friday release last year, not sure that strategy will work this year due to the well deserved hype of the previous 2018 Deep Woods releases.

Please leave the infants AND toddlers at home, guaranteed to be very cold in line for this release.

https://revbrew.com/straightjacketandbossryeway

GuyFawkes, SeanBond and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  2. dukeandduke

Society Trader

GuyFawkes likes this.
  3. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (236) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois

I must say, Revolution took a massive jump in my book in 2018. I was super impressed with their offerings last year, and they really jumped up my rankings of Chicago breweries. Hope for similar things in 2019!

4. Wolvmar

Wolvmar Disciple (370) Jul 2, 2014 Michigan

Haven’t been to brewery but got a few cans of Death’s Tar and Cafe Death in SE MI. Have to say they are at/near the top of my list for big stouts. Hoping to see more this year!

5. Squiggy

Squiggy Initiate (111) Feb 18, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I’m really hoping to see some straight jacket in Michigan. I had some on draft recently and was blown away.

6. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (556) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Stop spreading lies about SJ. It's terrible and nobody likes barleywine anyways. Nothing to see here folks. Move along!

7. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (492) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Literally, it's the worst.

8. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (131) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Can confirm: absolute crap. Definitely won't be watching this thread closely to see if it lasts until the day after release so I can go buy a bunch on Saturday.

9. flat_lander

Society Trader

Word is that it gets worse when they age it a second year.

10. DeadWax

DeadWax Initiate (73) Dec 29, 2016 Illinois

To be clear from the above posts about SJ, it is not terrible in a Malort sort of awfulness, but perhaps even more damning, it is merely mediocre, as is the barleywine style. People need not even attend the release to get it and it will be at all the Binnys. It’s SO not rare that even these Michiganders are telling us about seeing it on shelves hundreds of miles away.

All the fruited and Nilla beer is gone so there’s no need to come clog the lines as it won’t have flip value. There’s not going to be one barrel aged stout released!

Honestly, with so much other good beer out there and with my budget so tapped from December, do you really want to blow more on a shelfie barleywine?

These other fine BAers are just trying to save everyone the trouble. And I couldn’t agree more!

11. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (492) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

I think you meant shelf turd barley wine.

Shelf turds are the worst.

12. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (665) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Barley wine? So it's more of a wine than a beer, right? Gross.

13. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (236) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois

FWIW I've never had problems getting SJ in the past, even weeks after the release. Maybe things will be different this year, but I'm not too worried about lining up. I'm guessing production levels will be like DT.

croush, DeadWax and IlCraftWjgman like this.
  14. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Aspirant (261) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

I found cans of SJ at Binnys grand last year during the first week of April. Not sure when the 2018 release date was but take that fwiw

FBarber, GuyFawkes and DeadWax like this.
  15. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (78) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, SJ sees wide distro. Don't see any issues with acquiring that if you want it. If someone is going to the release simply to get SJ, save yourself the time, and don't bother. Lol.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  16. croush

croush Crusader (737) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Boss Ryeway is not the beer you're looking for.

17. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (212) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

"Limits for the release will be as follows:

Boss Ryeway: Limit 2 (About 1500 four-packs available)
    Straight Jacket: No Limit (About 3000 four-packs available)"

18. HouseofWortship

Trader

Ladies and gentlemen, start your strollers!

19. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,041) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Damn son, no limit on SJ? I'm not the type to buy by the case, but if I were, this would be the time.

I wonder if Ryeway will be able to be purchased by the end of that night/open on Sat.

chrismattlin and GuyFawkes like this.
  20. HouseofWortship

Trader

You need to go back and read the posts about SJ above.

21. SeanBond

Trader

I mean, I was able to get SJ a while after release last year as well, but I didn't know then what I know about it now.

22. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,286) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

You didn't reread the posts above. You are expecting the beer voted worst (by a clear majority above) to suddenly become non-worst?

23. SeanBond

Trader

:grin: lol okay fine, when you put it that way:

SJ has no limits? Gee golly, that's no surprise because no one wants to buy it!

24. flat_lander

Society Trader

No limits on SJ... so what's the No Rules SuperMule guy up to these days?

25. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (131) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Looks like it'll be another nail-biter watching this thread on release night. Please can at least just Straight Jacket last until Saturday this time??? I mean we all know it's a crap beer as evidenced by it not being rare enough to limit purchases, but I'm a glutton for punishment!

IlCraftWjgman likes this.
  26. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (280) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

It’s so bad. They should rename it to crooked cardigan!

27. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (78) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Eh. Crooked Coat. A cardigan isn't a jacket.

FBarber likes this.
  28. dukeandduke

Society Trader

29. ktr5010

ktr5010 Disciple (361) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Interesting that Goose's approach to having a better relationship with bourbon makers (not sure if that's the correct term) is similar to what Marty has said. Seems like breweries have converged on getting better quality bourbon barrels (and whatever other style barrels) will lead to higher quality barrel aged beers. Seems like a simple idea now but getting here has been a process.

30. SeanBond

Trader

Yeah, and the order makes total sense. The easiest thing to control is your own beer, because you get to make all the decisions on what goes in, how much, for how long, etc.. Once you have that nailed down, you can start taking a look at what different barrels do to it, and once you figure out which ones you prefer, you can work on going after them.

(now the only constraint is how able you are to actually get the barrels you want)

ktr5010 likes this.
  31. dukeandduke

Society Trader

During a Q & A w the Revolution Brewmasters in the Fall, they discussed the importance of both the quality of the bourbon in the barrels, and the physical quality of the barrels to avoid leakage. IIRC, Code Switch came about due to leakage in a subset of the first set of barrels used.

FBarber and GuyFawkes like this.
  32. PhilBallins

"For those joining us at the release next Friday the 18th, we have an exciting list of draft-only variants to share with you:

Cursed Man (pronounced Cur-sed) - Barrel No. 567 - 14.7% ABV - Born of a single Kentucky Peerless Rye Whiskey "money" barrel, this component of Boss Ryeway weaves American oak and premium spirit into this ascendant elixir.

Penitent Man - Barrel No. 1654 - 14.4 % ABV - This component of Boss Ryeway descended from the ethereal plane via a single "money" WhistlePig The Boss Hog Black Prince French oak Armagnac finishing barrel, and positively drips with nuance. If you thought that was a mouthful, wait 'til you taste it.

Boss Jacket 2019 - 14.3% - Well Straight Jacket just couldn't let Ryeway have all the fun, could it? This unique blended English Barleywine is comprised of single Straight Jacket WhistlePig The Boss Hog Black Prince French oak Armagnac and Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels. A slightly mellower malt structure allows for the wood and spirit components shine.

Double Barrel Boss Jacket 2019 - Sanctuary No. 19 - 17.2% ABV - This pugilistic single barrel of Straight Jacket dry component aged in WhistlePig The Boss Hog Black Prince French oak Armagnac and Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels is awash with French and American oak and a blend of three spirits.

Boss Ryeway Select: Cuvée de Grâce - 14.3% ABV - This single WhistlePig The Boss Hog Black Prince French oak Armagnac barrel was filled with a blend of Straight Jacket dry component and Ryeway to Heaven, aged one year, and then blended with Very Special Old Ryeway which spent two years in Woodford Double Oak barrels.

Double Barrel V.S.O.J. Cherry Rye - 14.5% ABV - Tart cherry rounds out the most ridiculous beer we’ve produced to date. Slightly sweet, slightly tart, and subtly fruity, this sipper is satisfyingly staggering."

33. ktr5010

Society Trader

Great googly moogly

34. HouseofWortship

Trader

Sure they do it for that, but not Deth's Tar....

35. croush

croush Crusader (737) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

This may be the "bossest" looking draft list yet IMO. Hopefully I can try a couple at least.

ktr5010 likes this.
  36. HouseofWortship

Trader

I'm not digging this DQ Blizzardification of BA stouts. "My daughter will have the vanilla blended with sprinkles and oreos, please, and I'll have a Boss Ryeway blended with, umm, how about the VSOJ, and then aged in...ooh can I have it in the Armangnac barrel AND the Double Woodford?"

37. PhilBallins

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: (this site really needs the eyes emoji)

Beer_Economicus, bread_c and Squiggy like this.
  38. flat_lander

Society Trader

Exactly where my brain went! I think they're making fun of us. Which is well earned IMO.

And that taplist is pure armageddon. The real question is did anyone have sex with the barrels?

39. SeanBond

Trader

While these don't jump out at me the same way some of the earlier ones did, I can at least appreciate that they're not all "so we took that beer and threw in sugar cane, coconut, chocolate, ice cream and some candy we had laying around" like a lot of breweries do as "variants."

(not that I don't usually ooh and ahh that sort of variant :grin:)

jaysker95 likes this.
  40. ktr5010

Society Trader

I don't see this as a "Blizzardification," that connotes pastry/sugary/heavy adjunct to me. Only one of them has an adjunct. Seems like they are really exploring blending different beers, barrel types, single barrels, and aging times. I'm not sure if there is another brewery doing anything on this level (I could be wrong and I'd like to hear input if there is) and it's very exciting.