Revolution Brewing (2020)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by FleskBrewFan, Jan 1, 2020.

1. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (134) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

New year, new thread.

Opened some jackets last night (Boss, Strawberry, Very Special, etc), all delicious.

2. Wolvmar

Wolvmar Devotee (463) Jul 2, 2014 Michigan

Had a Cafe Deth followed by Deth’s Tar for New Years Eve. Amazingly good beers.

capnmike and core42 like this.
  3. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (750) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Let's. Get. Viscous!

Someone please help. I can't find the preview party page anywhere. Pretty sure I have one locally this month.

4. 77apm

77apm Devotee (494) Nov 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Let’s get Dank and Hoppy too! It’s Deep Wood time of course but Rev knows their way around hops also! A couple draft pours and the fact that I still wanted to open a can when I got home is a positive sign!

5. flat_lander

Society Trader

Hoping to try this, but chances are slim with no distro. I'm making due with my last Cafe Deth. It's delicious and I'm appreciating the caffeine (and ABV) right now.

ECOBOOSTINST and chrismattlin like this.
  6. 77apm

Trader

Ain’t nothing wrong with some Cafe Deth after all, glorious yet again!

By any chance old friend is it the right time for some AJ’s Stout? Some Legal Hero can find its way downstate then!

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  7. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (146) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

chrismattlin and FBarber like this.
  8. flat_lander

Society Trader

Appreciate the offer, but only got 1 can left. Had lots of requests for it this year. Keeping this last one for myself (i.e. solo chugging in a Papa Murphy's parking lot).

ECOBOOSTINST and FBarber like this.
  9. BeerCruncher

BeerCruncher Initiate (162) Aug 4, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Any League of Heroes fans in here? I'm normally a Fist City guy for my employee beer and maybe it was the holiday break, but I've been plowing through this new issue of the variety pack. There will never be a consensus on this, but I think Cashmere-Hero is the best that this series have ever put out.

10. 77apm

Trader

On my 2nd 12pk of this League, Sly and Cashmere are damn solid!

Between Legal-Hero, League of Heroes, Everyday Hero, Hero in Training and I’ll throw Juke Juice in there just because...it’s been a Rock n Roll hoppy ride for awhile now!

Ain’t a bad beer to be found at Rev now is there?

GuyFawkes and Jaycase like this.
  11. 77apm

Trader

No worries, I hear ya in holding onto it!

12. croush

croush Champion (803) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I wanted to make it out for the Legal Hero release yesterday, but took a nap instead (I'm getting too old to stay up past midnight!). I'm hopeful that it will be on tap still this weekend so I can try it. Any reactions by those that have had it yet?

13. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (436) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

I been sayin....

And cashmere is a damn good hop.

BeerCruncher likes this.
  14. jermy

jermy Aspirant (275) Mar 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Legal hero is the truth

ChicagoJ, BeerCruncher and stevegoz like this.
  15. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,792) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Had a V.S.O.R. tonight...if the rest of my 4 pack is this good, I will have to revise my original review for the better. Liquid gold!!!

16. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (629) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Honest review time. Reviewed Cafe first awhile back, now time for DT, Plums, and Ryeway (not tired a SJ yet):

Deth’s Tar; I’m not sure I actually like this version more than the one two years ago. Two years ago it was a really easy drinker. I recall drinking them pretty often while working on my house at night. This year’s version IS thicker (which would normally be a plus) and full of oak (the way a whiskey aged for a long time pulls in all that oak and a bit of dryness). In my opinion, the thickness is nice, but perhaps a little too thick with the oak, which for my palate is a bit over the top. Perhaps if it was less dry maybe one or both of these would bother me less. Either way, I opened one can, and have sent the others off as gifts. Not sure that I want to buy a 4 pack for myself, but may buy another can.

This is maybe a bit harsh, but I feel like this year’s DT highlighted all the things I don’t want from the barrel (the harsh, overly oaky, tannins and dryness) while minimizing the part that I DO want (the bourbon...).

GuyFawkes likes this.
  17. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Review continued:

Plums: I have not had many fruit stouts, and only maybe 1 BA stout with fruit. Well, other than BCBS - but due to my nut allergy, I have only had Regal and Bramble 2.0 (not tried mon Cheri yet), I did not particularly like either of those, and I admittedly hate Cheries in beer. The only other experience I can think of is a Taxman BA with blueberries, which I very much enjoyed several years ago. This did not do it for me (nor did Code Switch last year, although I understand it was an Old Als, and admittedly I fucking hate blackberries). The barrel was too light for me, and the fruit took on a “dark fruit” flavor with a slight sour-aspect to it, much in the same way that Bramble or regal did. While I could finish those, this was not possible for me to finish. Not because it was bad, but because it is not my bag. I only drank 40% or so of my one can.

Ryeway: If I could sum this beer up in a sentence, I’d say it’s just like SJ, but with a little Spice and less sweet/caramel/butterscotch. There’s a pretty big bold bourbon/rye barrel up front and on the nose, but lacks it at the end. It’s quite good (very similar to my thoughts on SJ 2 batches ago when it had some VSOJ in it), but not at the level that I would have a taste and say, “Man, that blows me away.” That tier is reserved for BWs like 2013/2014 BCBBW. For comparison, Veil Circle of Wolves, while it did not make me say that, is good enough to be in that category (but not worth the stupid price of admission). By comparison, this is still a step down, although a bit of a small step. After 6-9oz, the rye started getting a little too heavy/strong, and I realized that I like SJ, this is not something that I would ever want to drink 16-24 oz of, although I would be happy to have 12oz. Similarly, unlike SJ, I’d want a Ryeway about once every 4-6 weeks, not every 2-3 like with SJ. I can imagine that VSOR would be pretty darn good, and I do wish that I’d had the opportunity to try it. Bottom line: I’d like about a 4 pack, maybe 6 cans for the year.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  18. wally_world

wally_world Disciple (351) Nov 27, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

YES! My wife and I were just talking about Cashmere Hero the other day and we both got really psyched.

BeerCruncher likes this.
  19. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (146) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

I enjoyed all your reviews - well done. But you're gonna want 9-13 cans if you want a can every 4-6 weeks. :wink:
    I'm pretty sure I'll want one each month, so I got 20 cans just to be safe. :grin::sunglasses:

FBarber and Beer_Economicus like this.
  20. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (357) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Preferences are funny. As I read this, I see the exact opposite profile I want in a BA stout. I love how much the barrel shines in this batch, without being overly hot from the bourbon.

21. mbockstruck30

Trader

Grabbed a pack of Ryeway from Binnys last night. Its one of the few most recent releases I haven't tried yet, so looking forward to popping that tonight. As I was organizing my cellar (which has become close to 50% Rev cans over the last two months), I finally found a complaint I have with these. It's the damned foil labels glued to the boxes. Don't get me wrong, I love the cardboard packaging, they look slick. And I understand the logistics of using the same box and applying the label to each one. However, these labels stick, and it's harder than it should be to rip the label off to break them down for recycling. I never really paid attention to it in the past as I was never buying as many at the same time as I am now. So its just a picky gripe on my part, but it makes me wonder if there could be a more sustainable way to manage them. :thinking_face:

#21 mbockstruck30, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  22. croush

Trader

I'm with you. I have gotten pretty good at peeling them off the cardboard, though. But every time I do it, I wonder how much worse those boxes with foil are for the environment.

23. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (156) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

You guys have never heard of scissors, eh? :wink: Why remove the label? Foil is recyclable.

chrismattlin likes this.
  24. croush

Trader

I don't generally have scissors next to my garage fridge where I open these.

Also - that foil seems a bit "different", so I have zero idea if it really is recyclable according to our city's program. Regular foil is usually easy to tear, and obviously those labels are not easily torn, so it seems like something else is going on here. Maybe @BeerCruncher can chime in what he knows about the "green-ness" of those labels. If it is, then that's great news.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  25. mbockstruck30

Trader

Not to turn this into Recycle Advocate, but I'm pretty sure stickers are not aluminum foil, therefore not recyclable. Technically, all labels need to be removed from a bottle/can/etc before they can be recycled, but this happens at the plant.

Aside from that, I see your point, as I was just making needless commentary. But scissors? Ain't no one got time for that!

stevegoz, Beer_Economicus and croush like this.
  26. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 Initiate (156) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

I was just giving you guys a hard time. I do get what @croush is saying about the foil, though. It's not easy to rip. It's obviously not your standard foil. I still think it's likely recyclable, though.

croush and mbockstruck30 like this.
  27. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Rather than responding to the other comments, I'm replying to the recycling comments. Oye!

I suspect not, honestly. The large plastic lids from walmart for those plastic tubs everyone stores shit in can't be recycled, despite having a recycle symbol, so I have no belief that this sticker-foil can be. That's Cincinnati, though, no idea about Chicago. I just assume that it is similar.

28. lloydboss

lloydboss Disciple (302) May 9, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

29. mbockstruck30

Trader

I saw that as well and took advantage. I suppose it can’t be too surprising, as my Binny's still had packs from the previous release on the shelf until recently. So maybe they are just hedging their bets.

FBarber and Beer_Economicus like this.
  30. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister Initiate (78) Jan 13, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

I'd buy another pack, but that means I'd have to enter a Binnys. And just like Popeye, my wallet "Can't stands no more!"

capnmike likes this.
  31. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (79) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

I don't think barleywines are the most popular beer style, so I can't say I am surprised. However, at that price, I may be willing to try a 4-pack next time I am there.

32. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Champion (827) May 10, 2014 Ohio

I've never given thought to this, but now that you've brought it up, I think it's extremely petty.

33. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I suspect petty is not the word you’re looking for. If it was, I think you may be misreading the original post. There was not a complaint saying that this was terrible, or how dare they, etc. The post was simply asking whether there is a better way to manage these releases with foil than using foil. I think that’s a logical question. If people leave the foil on and recycle the box, the recycling plant doesn’t recycle it. It gets dumped. There’s a great NPR segment from just a couple months ago on how expensive recycling plants are simply BECAUSE people recycle crap that cannot be recycled, and do not follow the rules.

Here in Cincinnati, carton’s must have plastic lids removed. Plastic jugs can have lids on, but lids cannot be recycled on their own. Glass jars/cans can have the lids recycled ONLY if the lids have been removed. When people don’t follow the rules, the items get discarded altogether.

It’s hard for me to see how the post was petty by simply asking whether there could be a better way.

34. mbockstruck30

Trader

Also, I was basically saying I have no complaints with Rev, and this was just the closest thing I could consider a complaint. It was really more of a random thought. I don’t expect Rev to change anything based on one man’s opinion.

35. croush

Trader

He was trying to think of how things could be more sustainable for our Earth and you call it petty? This can’t be real.

36. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Champion (827) May 10, 2014 Ohio

Here in Cincinnati, we pay people at the recycling plant to sort this stuff. (I've seen it with my own eyes.) We all get to recycle without worrying about the minutia you just spewed AND a couple more people get a job. Win-win.

Touche.

FoReal.
    #FirstWorldProblems

37. Beer_Economicus

Trader

You seem to miss my point entirely. No city is going to pay people to sort through cardboard and rip the non-recyclable part off, or unscrew all caps, or screw caps back on depending on the item. That is ridiculously time consuming and not worth the money/time. Every recycling plant MUST pay people to sort the non-recyclable from the recyclable. That’s just a fact. The sorting is never the point, it is what gets sorted OUT and discarded, and the inherent cost of doing so.

The ignorance in your post that “fuck it, it might be recyclable, throw it in there, we pay someone to sort it!” Is astounding. And yes, I mean ignorance, not stupidity, because I think you simply don’t know/understand. The creation of a job is not inherently win-win. That’s a ridiculously oversimplified rose-colored view of the world. That money comes from someplace - like, oh, Taxes. Money to pay people does not just materialize. We pay for people being lazy fucks and not paying attention to what they recycle. The more lazy that people get, the more taxes have to pay people to sort. NOT ONLY that, but that trash still has to be discarded, which has a cost. And what happens when people get too lazy and throw too much trash in recycling? They start cutting down on the number of TYPES of items that the plant with accept, because it is less costly to do that.

To belabor the point even more, if people only recycled the items that are recyclable and followed the rules exactly, a recycling plant is not only self-sustaining, but it actually will CREATE revenue. So many lazy people can’t follow the directions that it costs so much money to sort and discard the non-recyclables that recycling plants usually require being subsidized, just like public transportation.

38. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,108) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Reading the last couple pages has made me feel pretty bad about the way I just chuck cans into recycling without even thinking about the labels...

39. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (349) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

With no intention on trying to make you feel worse, there's this too:
    So it seems that if cans with wrap labels (ie Hop Butcher) get separated out, they either don't get recycled, or the plastic just burns off when the can is melted down for the aluminum. Either scenario is very "non-green", since burning plastic is awful.

I'm also not aware of what material modern can wraps are made of, so I could be (and probably am) completely wrong.

40. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,108) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I'd rather know than not know! I'll have to step up my peeling game.

And by step up, I mean start, I guess. :sweat_smile: