1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Riverlands Brewing Company (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by csmakio, Mar 15, 2019.

1. csmakio

csmakio Initiate (119) Nov 26, 2016 Illinois

These guys open tomorrow Friday, March 15th. Soft open was tonight. Looks like a number of industry guys were over there. Beer Cellar, Phase 3, Average Joe. Lots of buzz around town about this brewery the last few weeks.

They are right down the street from me, I look forward to checking them out.

Riverlands Brewing Company
    1860 Dean St Unit A, St. Charles, IL 60174
    https://www.riverlandsbrewing.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/riverlandsbrewingcompany/

Anyone sample their offerings yet? I believe they were at Beer Cellar a few weeks back.

aussiebeer and jffrson729 like this.
  2. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (313) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Probably won’t make it tomorrow but should on Saturday as long as the haze lasts. Very excited as St Charles has been badly needing a place like this

3. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (673) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

This location is perfect!! I take my kids to Fun Republic (which is a great place for little ones to burn off some energy) which is right next door. Woo-hoo!! Definitely going to try and make it in this weekend to try some of their stuff. Cool looking tap room too.

csmakio and Nbrock24 like this.
  4. csmakio

i talked to someone at the stc binnys and they are trying to work out some deal for when Riverland eventually starts distributing. in the meantime it looks like they will do crowlers, probably not for the opening though.

big weekend for the area, riverlands opening and penrose 5 year. too bad ill be downtown all day tomorrow.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  5. CaptainFleeker

Trader

My daughter's 4th birthday party is tomorrow. Bummed I can't make the Penrose party but at least I'll have a bunch of screaming little kids lol. The website did say some beers will be available for crowlers so hoping to pick up a few as I won't be able to stay very long.

csmakio likes this.
  6. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (83) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone that goes today please let me know how bad the crowd is. I plan on going sometime later afternoon/early evening

7. ddskos

ddskos Initiate (98) Apr 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Crowlers of the pilsner, wit, sour and neipa's are currently available. Bar is full. 10 tables 6 per table maybe 2/3 full. Family friendly.
    Stouts are very good. Full body mouth feel, flavors very good. Ne ipa's very similar but good. Not a sour fan so no idea how it is.

CaptainFleeker and jffrson729 like this.
  8. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Zealot (566) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Exited as I live 2 minutes away and also freq fun republic and my girls gymnastics class is also there......hoping to grab some neipa crowlers.

CaptainFleeker likes this.
  9. CaptainFleeker

Trader

So maybe I'm not the first one to think of picking up some crowlers on the way to Fun Republic? Can always say it's a new energy drink...in a big ass can.

Nachos4two likes this.
  10. thewimperoo

thewimperoo Zealot (528) Oct 1, 2006 Illinois

Wish this would have been open when I lived 10 minutes away from here.

Any reason for the hype beyond STC, South Elgin, and further west being an under served area? Does the brewer have bonafides?

11. csmakio

Line about 15-20 deep to get in. I turned my ass around.

12. Nachos4two

Trader

Wow hope tomorrow I can run in and out with some crowlers

csmakio likes this.
  13. csmakio

everything ive heard about their beers has been positive. apparently their NE's are fantastic.

Nachos4two likes this.
  14. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (139) May 5, 2013 Illinois

Echoing above comments, I have heard great things as well. The taproom looks great as well. I'll probably give it a shot in a week or so when the initial draw dies down a bit. As an aside, I wish I had gotten a ticket to Penrose..there's gonig to be about 45 beers poured today :slight_frown:

csmakio likes this.
  15. Nbrock24

Trader

Yeah taproom was at capacity for much of the afternoon yesterday. Really cool space and the drink line kept going from 5-nearly 20 people like the early Mikerphone days. I’m sure that will mellow out in the weeks to come. The beers were excellent. Murky Waters is as good as any local haze I can think of. Silt was good and the fruited kettle sour is definitely like a Frooted beer though without the fruit pulp. I did a flight of the stouts (thanks Uber) and probably liked the breakfast stout and the Mexican hot chocoate ones the best. They had crowlers of MW, Silt, and the fruit beer to go (limit 2 total). The staff member indicated they don’t think they’ll run super low on beer since more is coming soon. You’ll recall Mikerphone and More both struggled with that early on

CaptainFleeker and csmakio like this.
  16. aussiebeer

aussiebeer Devotee (453) Oct 23, 2013 Illinois

My daughter's gym is about 20 minutes from there, might have some Aussie influence in the taproom soon

17. RBCBrams17

RBCBrams17 Disciple (372) Aug 22, 2014 Illinois
    Industry

Hey guys, thanks for your interest in our beer! I'm Eric, the Head Brewer. I've been a frequent lurker and occasional poster around the forums for a while, so I'll try and keep an eye out here and answer any questions or concerns anyone may have.

REVZEB, atkins666, Rainblows and 16 others like this.
  18. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Disciple (384) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

How often can we except new beers to pop up at the top room? Also, of the selection from opening weekend, will any of these beers become part of a “core” lineup?

Cheers!

19. RBCBrams17

Industry

We've got around 30ish recipes or so that we want to work through over the next year, but there will be a rotation for sure with beers that do particularly well coming around more often. We've got 6 fermenters so we should have new beers/fresh batches on with regularity. We'll always have 2 or 3 hazy's going as well as more traditional beers. It's our goal to have a lager on more often than not. The Imperial Stouts should be an every couple of months type of thing. All of this is of course always fluid as we get our legs under us and find out what works and what people want!

FFFjunkie, GrumpyGas, csmakio and 4 others like this.
  20. jffrson729

jffrson729 Initiate (77) Mar 6, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I thought I remember seeing on your fb there is already beer in barrels but didn’t see anything else about it. Can you tell us what kind of barrels and what the outcome will be, or is that a surprise?!?!

21. RBCBrams17

Industry

We've currently got a base Imperial Stout in 3 Weller Bourbon barrels. We'll probably see whats going on with one around FoBAB, but it'll depend how we're liking the barrel notes at that point. Otherwise, we'll probably do something for our one year anniversary with the three we've currently got. We plan to continue to build a barrel program though.

22. csmakio

crowlers of the hazies still available on wednesday? thanks @RBCBrams17. im right down the street, i look forward to checking out your new place.

23. RBCBrams17

Industry

We had to cut off crowlers of Murky Waters, the single IPA. Still a few kegs left for the tap, but we were going through it too quick with crowlers. Silt is still available for crowler fills. We'll be open again on Wednesday at noon

Nbrock24, csmakio and Nachos4two like this.
  24. ChWRoCk

ChWRoCk Initiate (57) Dec 9, 2013 Illinois

Made it out there yesterday, really enjoyed all the beers. Great looking taproom, excited to return again.

My favorite was the cinnamon stout komoho.

csmakio, RBCBrams17 and Nbrock24 like this.
  25. Nachos4two

Trader

26. csmakio

stopped in for the first time today, nothing but impressed. the space is gorgeous. ipa's are all onpar with the best the city has to offer. corridor, more, og mikerphone. silt, murky waters, tevatron were all ridiculously good. acid was one of the best sours ive ever had, granted i dont drink them much.

thrilled it is right down the street from me. incredibly happy i decided to skip mikerphone today and go here.

27. Nbrock24

Trader

Yeah the area has been lacking for a long time but between Riverlands and the new Beer Cellar, we’re entering the glory days.

REVZEB and csmakio like this.
  28. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (4,317) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Stopped by last weekend. Great stuff, looking forward to more acid rainbow beers in the summer, perfect for hot days!

csmakio and Nbrock24 like this.
  29. aussiebeer

aussiebeer Devotee (453) Oct 23, 2013 Illinois

Was there around 7 to grab a couple crowlers, murky waters had just kicked

Nbrock24 likes this.
  30. Nbrock24

Trader

New hazy pale ale on today

csmakio likes this.
  31. Jsimansk

Jsimansk Initiate (126) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

It’s probably going to be awhile before I get out that way to try this place, but Murky Waters is a perfect beer name, especially from a brewery named Riverlands.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  32. Nbrock24

Trader

Pride of the Fox is very flavorful for a 6% pale ale. It reminds me a bit of Dusty

ryno0384 and csmakio like this.
  33. CityFarmer

CityFarmer Initiate (150) Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Did anyone ever find out what the lineage is for this brewery? Where they cut their teeth, if anywhere? Not that it really matters.....I’m just always curious to know where brewers came from when another one pops up. This place is fairly close to my parents House. Will definitely stop in next time I’m coming through with the family.

Jaycase and Nbrock24 like this.
  34. RBCBrams17

Industry

I come from a home brew background for about 8 years, but spent a good amount of time over the past year and a half volunteering and job shadowing with the guys at More. That definitely helped me a ton making the transition from home brewer to professional

#34 RBCBrams17, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  35. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (83) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I’m basically the same but I can’t find a brewery that is up for shadowing/volunteer work. Congrats on the early success

36. CaptainFleeker

Trader

Where is the best place to see what beers you currently have on tap and to go? Planning on stopping in at lunch tomorrow to get some beers for a long weekend in Michigan.

37. csmakio

https://www.riverlandsbrewing.com/currently-on-tap

looks like they updated it saturday afternoon

38. CaptainFleeker

Trader

I looked there first. I know they had beers in that section of their website before but there aren't any currently. Wasn't sure if they were going to switch to untappd, instagram etc.

39. RBCBrams17

Industry

Yep, the link posted above is updated anytime our taplist changes. Otherwise we're a verified venue if you use untappd, so that's always up to date.

CaptainFleeker likes this.
  40. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Disciple (384) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Looks like a new milk shake as well an NEIPA on tap

Nbrock24 likes this.