RO Only All-Grain Bucks Conventional Wisdom

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GreenKrusty101, Jun 5, 2018.

1. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (711) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Well, I'm finally able to talk shit about this unintentionally dry hopped Lager with no CaCl or CaSo4...very NEIPAesque appearance, yet the lager yeast melded wonderfully with the Nelson Sauvin (1 oz) dryhop...maybe I'll call it a NEIPL :grin:

RO water only
    8# German Pilsner
    2# 6.5l Munich
    5 oz Acidulated Malt
    4 oz Saaz: FWH, 10 min, whirlpool to 33 IBUs
    1 oz NS dryhop
    3 sachets yeast (2-S-23 and 1 34/70)
    1.052 OG

NiceFly likes this.
  2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,925) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

Why was it unintentionally dry-hopped? Although I see that it's really more of a German-style kellerbier. Just accidental? And how is it so hazy?

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  3. GreenKrusty101

My bad, intentionally dryhopped...unintentionally used only RO water with no additions

I assume it is hazy because of no CaCl, but brewed mid February so should be clear by now if it was going to floc/drop

4. NeroFiddled

Ahhh, totally different, but in that case I have to ask why Nelson Sauvin? I'd think it would work but it wouldn't be in even the first 6 hops I'd think of for dry hopping what you've got.

5. GreenKrusty101

Why not? ...not a NS hater like some...one of my favs in low amounts...even though it's flavor profile seems to have morphed somewhat with recent crops.

6. NeroFiddled

Fair enough, why not? How has the flavor profile morphed in your opinion, because I've always thought that to a certain extent all hops shift slightly with growing conditions and what not, but maybe with newer varieties there could be even more going on?

7. GreenKrusty101

Maybe I'm thinking it used to taste like this: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3120/32286/

Probably not a fair comparison as Alpine's Nelson was a rye base and had a lot more Nelson than my paltry 1 oz dryhop...I definitely don't get the diesel some attribute to it.

8. GreenKrusty101

Fwiw, after looking over notes (on side of keg)...this one was also spunded.

9. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (263) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

No CA = poor flocculation

Hence the haze

Lager yeast doesn’t generally have a positive flavor impact in my mind.,

pweis909 and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  10. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (342) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I had a Nelson hopped Pilsner at a small brew pub once. And it was excellent. I was skeptical of the combination at first too, but it really works.
    I had a Nelson hopped Pilsner at a small brew pub once. And it was excellent. I was skeptical of the combination at first too, but it really works.

11. GreenKrusty101

...or negative either for that matter...imho...allows the hops to shine though, imho

12. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (263) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

Yes when it’s completely out of the beer... but when it’s in suspension the flavor impact is not a positive one.

13. GreenKrusty101

Have you ever brewed/tasted a dry hopped lager with RO/distilled water only?...I was pleasantly surprised by the result.

14. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (127) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

As have I, and I was impressed as well.

I believe @honkey brews his pilsners with very soft water. I'm not sure that it's 100% RO, though. Whatever water profile he uses works.

15. honkey

honkey Zealot (539) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Premium

I emulate the water at Weihenstephan for my German Pilseners. I haven’t used RO without adjustments before, but my RO also is only about 2 ppm TDS, so I think it is way too soft to use without adding some salts.

16. MarkGP

MarkGP Initiate (56) Jan 28, 2015 Rhode Island

Call it a JPL....Juicy Pale Lager!

17. NiceFly

NiceFly Aspirant (223) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Interesting post. Thanks.