Roasted Vegetables with Ricotta

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nickdank, Feb 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickdank

nickdank Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 New Jersey

Hey y'all. I make this really killer mix of roasted vegetables: mushrooms, carrots and onion roasted at 375 for an hour, plus Brussels sprouts and cauliflower roasted at 475 for 30 mins. All rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and paprika and coated in olive oil.

I generall mix everything together and then top it with ricotta, a little maple syrup, black pepper and a bit of chili flake.

Thoughts on a good pairing for this? I'm thinking with all the caramelized veggies, something on the toasty side might work. Brown ale? Dubbel? Though maybe a snappy German Pils like Victory Prima might work as a contrast, cut through the richness of the ricotta.

Just interested to see people's take on it.

2. IceAce

IceAce Savant (916) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Brewery

I look for harmony when pairing, and dishes such as yours I try to remember that malt kilning creates flavors which resonate with the roasting of vegetables. You suggestion of a Brown is right up that alley, as would be a nice Amber or American Red. The Brown or Amber would probably be my choice as it will pick up and match the sweetness from the brown sugar.

A Helles or Dortmunder will, as you said, contrast the ricotta and cut through the olive oil.

In addition, I think you've done a nice job of matching the intensity of the dish with the beers styles selected.

If I were you, I'd try one (or more) beers from each group, as you will have firsthand knowledge of the combination of veggies, spices and beer. I hope you will post your results!

3. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,334) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I'd add a peppery Saison to the mix of beers to try it with or maybe a Belgian Golden Strong.

I think a double could work well too, just not a banana forward one :wink:

4. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,402) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

I think an Amber or Vienna Lager would go really nice with your dish. Crisp and easy drinking with a bit of malt sweetness to match the roasted veggies and maple syrup. I like the Saison recommendation too, they are so versatile with food and could be a nice contrast to its richness.

5. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 California

Pinkus Organic pils...easy good drinker....ya got to have a whole paycheck in Jersey...I mean whole foods, they probably stock the beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.