Rookie BIF Round 3 Sign-Up Thread

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by swenny916, Jan 12, 2019.

1. swenny916

swenny916 Aspirant (243) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Hey Rookies! (or friends of the rookies…) Welcome to the third round of a Beer It Forward (BIF) created out of the desire for local for local trades.

For those that have never experienced a BIF before, welcome! Here is what to expect.

You will be assigned someone to send to (target) that is at least two states away from you. In turn, someone will be assigned to you as well.

You will give clues to who your target is in a second thread (hints and hauls thread). The banter really makes the game more fun than a simple one-for-one trade.

Here are some of the rules specific to this BIF. Since this is the first BIF for many, these rules are strict. Anyone can join, but please stay inside the desired ounce range as I want this to be obtainable for all.

Rules
    Minimum 100 ounces and maximum of 144 ounces of beer that is out of your target’s distribution area (seekabrew.com is helpful and often times just doing a search on the brewery can help).

Also keep in mind your target’s wants and style preferences along with freshness of any hoppy beer. Don’t just send the last couple IPAs from your fridge if they are a couple months old. Basically, send a box you’d be excited to receive. This is your chance to not only send a great box but show off those local breweries that others may not have heard about.

You will also be expected to give at least five clues as to who your target is. I want everyone to stay engaged in this. If you want example of clues, I’d recommend visiting any of the “Hints and Hauls” threads in this forum. I can also help if you want to send a message.

One last rule I want to add as we've had a few struggle with this. Please communicate. Let me/everyone know if you are going to be away and either can’t receive boxes or won’t be sending clues/participating for a few days. Remember that your sender is putting some time/thought into your box, so make sure you upload a picture to our thread after you receive your box.

Let this BIF really help your reputation on Beer Advocate.

If you are interested, reply here and also send me a message with your:
    • name
    • address
    • phone number
    • email address
    • Any beer style preferences or dislikes
    • Untappd handle (if applicable)
    • T-shirt size
    Deadline to register is Saturday, February 2 at midnight. I’ll get targets a day or two after that.

Deadline to ship will then be Monday, March 4. This will give everyone just over a month to be able to find beers and also budget for the box. It should also hopefully be good weather-wise.

These are a lot of fun, but I can understand they can be somewhat intimidating or confusing, so feel free to ask any questions you might have. I look forward to having everyone!

Cheers
    Jay

2. Vidblain

Vidblain Champion (878) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Premium Trader

3. bstoos

bstoos Initiate (46) Dec 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

4. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (168) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

Right back in the fire

5. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Disciple (379) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Premium Trader

6. FlintB

FlintB Initiate (139) May 27, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

This sounds like fun. I would like to try this BIF thing.

7. Vidblain

Premium Trader

[​IMG]

Gotta admit, I get nervous whenever I see FlintB join a BIF.

8. FlintB

Trader

I don't need a BIF to send you beer, my friend.

9. Yabey

Yabey Initiate (47) Mar 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

10. Snrubnivek

Snrubnivek Initiate (66) Apr 16, 2016 California
    Trader

Looking forward to my 1st BIF. I'm in.

11. tmm786

tmm786 Initiate (15) Jan 13, 2019 Tennessee
    Trader

Heard great things about this in the past. I'm in!

12. Orca_Whale

Orca_Whale Initiate (72) Sep 3, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

Last round was fun. In for another.

13. Rexcinerum

Rexcinerum Initiate (42) Apr 27, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

14. Tom_V

Tom_V Initiate (61) Sep 11, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

count me in!

15. alexsergio

alexsergio Meyvn (1,110) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Premium Trader

I can’t imagine not being in for this, can’t wait!

Edit: Jay, my info is unchanged. Thanks for organizing this!

16. JodiB

JodiB Initiate (33) Dec 20, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

I would like to play!

Woo!

Yabey, Oconomowocian, FlintB and 4 others like this.
  17. Mikexw

Mikexw Savant (951) Mar 3, 2014 New York
    Premium Trader

I guess I can be coerced into doing this... I'm in, but I think we need to vet any new guys, because last round one guy (who received what I thought was one of the better boxes in the round) never shipped a box and screwed his target.

edit -- I just realized I posted right under a potential new entrant, and wanted to make it clear this wasn't intended as a personal shot at anyone -- I think we've got more than one new candidate with little or no prior trades...

Yabey, Franfab, alexsergio and 5 others like this.
  18. Vidblain

Premium Trader

Whether intended as such or no, the same topic was on my mind, seeing all of the new faces - so I agree with Mike.

But, this being a Rookies group - it is intended to encourage new people. I'd still like to see a bit of an established trade history with contacts and a minimal time spent on BA.

19. Mikexw

Premium Trader

Or request newcomers to ship earlier, with the caveat that they should probably peruse the thread from our last round to get rough expectations of box quality. Or encourage them to privately ask other participants for advice/input/feedback prior to shipping.

20. Vidblain

Premium Trader

*All of the above. :grin:

Great suggestions, Mike!

21. swenny916

Trader

Yeah, I think these are good ideas. I want to keep it open to newer people, but yeah, talking with established traders definitely help. I know I had a couple new people last round that I helped through it and they had great boxes.

22. JodiB

Trader

:::feels bad:::: I really wanted to participate in a BIF - I think this sounds so amazingly cool. And then I saw the rookie BIF and I thought it was perfect!

so - how does a rookie become "not a rookie" without being able to play?

I'm trust-worthy!! my momma said so......:wink::sunglasses:

and I have read so many threads, "pet peeve" trader threads, how to ship threads, and I even traded. Yeah, it was once - but it was a very smooth process! Anyway - I am not sure what else we noobs can do. Other than ask ya to take a leap of faith on us - you may be pleasantly surprised!!

23. Mikexw

Premium Trader

Fair point, and I apologize if it came off the wrong way -- it's more a matter of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me". I think having newcomers ship before receiving is a reasonable compromise.

And my post was something I guess I could have privately messaged to @swenny916 , but it's always good for everyone to know what's going on (and encourages inputs from others).

swenny916, Yabey, alexsergio and 8 others like this.
  24. Vidblain

Premium Trader

Certainly not trying to single anyone out. :slight_smile: And always happy to see new participants!

I think Mike's suggestion re: requirement of new folks shipping first is proof against any shenanigans. As far as I recall, this has always worked very well in past BIFs.

swenny916, Yabey, alexsergio and 8 others like this.
  25. Snrubnivek

Trader

I’m one of the newbies as this is my 1st BIF. I didn’t take Mikexw’s post the wrong way. Totally willing to ship as fast as possible. As long as I have a fair amount of time to put together a box worthy enough to annihilate someone’s porch (I think that’s the goal of this, right?).

swenny916, Yabey, alexsergio and 7 others like this.
  26. swenny916

Trader

I think a big thing is communication. I've had people play before that haven't had a single trade, but I'll get a message here or there with an update on how the box is going, or through being active with giving hints. If someone new signed up and then I don't hear from them for a couple weeks, is when I get worried.

Lots of good discussion. I think the main point is to be open and welcoming to all but not at the expense of someone not getting a box of beer.

27. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,578) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Trader

I don't want to officially join (because I already have too much beer), but I will act as a sponsor for a new person if that works for everyone. If they flake out during the BIF round I will take over, or if they don't send I will send a box.

I just don't want any beer sent to me.

If nobody has an issue with that I will be backup for @JodiB so he can join in on the BIF fun.

I really enjoy BIF's and think that this is a great way for people to get involved in the BA community. This BIF seems like the perfect spot for people to get their feet wet.

28. JodiB

Trader

No apology necessary, my friend!

Just trying to lighten up and get to know folks - so I can lose this rookie status someday :grin:

Absolutely, having 1st time participants ship first makes all the sense in the world. And all suggestions are noted and make total sense :slight_smile:

29. JodiB

Trader

Oh wow! Thank you!! I appreciate you!

(and I'm a she :wink:, but no big deal there)

30. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,578) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Trader

Even better! We definitely need more women to join in on the BIF fun!

31. FlintB

Trader

I think assigning any first timers a mentor/ sponsor to both answer questions and provide advice and ship beer on their behalf if they flake is a tremendous idea.

I'm participating, but would be happy to sponsor a first timer. I would love to encourage participation in BIFs (the best part of BA, in my opinion), and this low pressure version is the perfect entry point.

32. FlintB

Trader

Hey, random question: is there anyone in here that didn't land any BA Expedition Stout?

33. Snrubnivek

Trader

Pinocchio: raises hand
    Just kidding. Scored my 1st one in a trade. Was so good, had to find another 4 pack.

34. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,685) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

I will likely be applying similar parameters, along with sponsorship, for the next NBS BIF.

35. Oconomowocian

Oconomowocian Initiate (119) Mar 25, 2018 Wisconsin
    Trader

Shit, @beertunes never got a box? I understand there was real life stuff happening with his sender but methinks I might be sending something north west...

And go ahead and unchain the gimp cause I’m in again folks!

J

36. Rexcinerum

Rexcinerum Initiate (42) Apr 27, 2018 Massachusetts
    Trader

Definitely the goal. If they aren't billing you for porch damages, you done messed up.

Did not land this. Is it a must-have?

37. Mikexw

Premium Trader

I volunteer as tribute!

38. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,685) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

No. I got a couple ninja boxes, and had a great time, so I'm good here. Plus, dude might still hit me. Sick kid trumps beers.

For reals, I'm good. Stand down.

39. Oconomowocian

Oconomowocian Initiate (119) Mar 25, 2018 Wisconsin
    Trader

Gotcha. Sick kid trumps everything