Root + Branch Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Lupin, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Lupin

Lupin Aspirant (276) Jun 4, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

I guess that since this is the first post for the year I should point out that R+B currently releases roughly once a month at Great South Bay brewing on Long Island. LMK any further suggestions for sticky info..

That said, I'm trying to get down to the Root and Branch (and Hudson valley) release at GSB this weekend. Anyone have any idea how long the cans have lasted at previous releases?

Saying in Brooklyn this week. I'm guessing there will be slightly more demand than usual because of the HV collab, but I really don't want to invest the 1.5 hours out and then the long trek back home CT via uber and the ferry unless I am sure I'll be safe on cans--and I probably won't be able to get out of the city until a little before noon.

Definitely gonna be at the launch party tomorrow. Excited to try both beers out.

2. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (62) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

I have no insight on how long cans may last at the release, but I am pretty pumped for the Proletariat event tomorrow.

3. guinness77

guinness77 Savant (986) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I am going to do my usual MO...wait until an hour after they start selling and then go. If they’re out, they’re out. This strategy is usually solid for me but the HV collab thing might complicate that though.

4. Msudukie

Msudukie Aspirant (246) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

HVB fanboys seem to love lines so am not hopeful for this release. I hope R+B has more than one POS this time. Line was incredibly slow the few times I went.

RobNewton and ScottKramer like this.
  5. Lupin

Trader

Woof. Hopefully I can chat up a ride from someone at the proletariat event so I don't end up on a 630 ferry. I have high hopes based on the description, even if I hated hyperlight. All of the CT R+B releases were wonderful.

6. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (261) Jun 25, 2016 New York

If you miss out you can always hit up Lake Ronkonkoma after...:unamused:

7. guinness77

Or, even, during...right? Haha

8. xenjoiii

xenjoiii Aspirant (299) Jul 24, 2010 New York

We've had two POS systems for every release. They're supplied to us by GSB. Their card readers act up on us from time to time, which tends to slow the process.

brutalfarce likes this.
  9. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (218) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Looking forward todays event, I'll be there with a friend, hopefully it's not too crazy, Proletariat is pretty tiny

10. Msudukie

Msudukie Aspirant (246) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

Thanks for clarification.

11. NewmansOwn

The Hudson Valley collab is great, I only had a small pour because of my lactose intolerance. Prima Materia is nice too. I have nothing but great things to say about this brewery.

12. Lupin

Trader

I ended up showing up around 9:30 and talking to two random ladies for three hours. Tap list was great. They weren't there for the event but loved bloom and emissary.

I'm gonna be a total chump and say I was a little underwhelmed by the collab. It drank super easy and was a wonderful beer but kinda lacked character and just blended in with everything else I had. It and prima were both beyond solid but, given the effort involved, I'm gonna skip the release and go home straight from Brooklyn Sunday.

13. dmb987

dmb987 Aspirant (205) Jul 24, 2014 New York

Today’s release was a bit of a cluster, but overall ended up moving along. Highlight of the day was watching them refuse service to Lake Ronkonkoma Beverage and their 3 mules. Takes some serious cajones to make a racial comment and show up like nothing happened.

“Some of my favorite moments from out east”

14. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (50) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

That's incredible. How did they know?

15. guinness77

I wish I had noticed this.

16. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Zealot (564) Jan 16, 2013 New York

17. guinness77

Yes.

BltByKrmn likes this.
  18. dmb987

Was right around #75 or so when this happened. Fantastic ! Certainly my “some of my favorite moments @ GSB”

guinness77 likes this.
  19. xenjoiii

Yes, we sold out of both beers this afternoon.

I was really blown away by the turn out. I was expecting a busy release, but nothing near the magnitude of the actual turn out.

I’m a little disappointed to hear about the line cutting / people refusing to take their ticketed place in line this afternoon. Things were definitely out of control. We focused on moving the line as quickly as we could, and some folks definitely took advantage of the fact that we couldn’t monitor things closely.
    We haven’t had this issue in the past, and the problem was too far gone by the time we caught on. Moving forward we’re going to do a bit of policing prior to the start of the sale to ensure everyone is where they should be, and try to enlist some extra hands to run the sale.

On Lake Ronkonkoma Beverage: I know who they are. Not sure what they were thinking. They’ll never receive service from us at GSB, nor will they be welcomed to our space when it’s open. If our cans do make it into their shop, we’ll keep filing reports to the SLA and blasting them on social media.

Evb721, ROXONE, jmanic and 18 others like this.
  20. Phreeballing

Phreeballing Initiate (139) Sep 19, 2015 New York
    Trader

For the amount of people that turned out I thought it went well enough. Really digging these beers. Line cutters are the pits. Amazing the entitlement some people feel

21. Phreeballing

Trader

I feel like if they had groups line up in blocks of numbers it would help, numbers 1-20, then 21-40 etc...then just have people hand in tickets. Just a thought, I have no complaints

22. xenjoiii

We’ve tried that in the past, no dice. As soon as we called the first group, the entire tasting room lined up.

23. dmb987

Anthony ,

Could GSB post number on one of their televisions they pump tap menus onto?

24. xenjoiii

I’m not sure, but can inquire.

25. NewmansOwn

Same think that happens at the airport.

jrnyc and SpinSamzo like this.
  26. Phreeballing

Trader

Lol

27. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (355) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

God damn I'm pissed I had to work today. I would've gone just to see this.