Root + Branch Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Lupin, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Max_W

Max_W Disciple (350) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

2. Max_W

Society Trader

3. Max_W

Society Trader

Exciting stuff:

Had LF2 last night at Top Hops, really nice - on tap at a handful of places in the city now

4. Max_W

Society Trader

5. Max_W

Society Trader

Safe to say proletariat will be crowded on Friday haha. Unfortunately out of town this weekend, but if anyone goes would love to hear thoughts on the beers!

6. alexsergio

alexsergio Meyvn (1,348) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

@xenjoiii

Anthony,

Love your beers...I’ve had them all, please feel free to check my resume.

I know you won’t change anything but I’ll say it anyway. Your last release was sold it in 30-40 minutes on a weekday with case limits with your post saying that limits were “subject to change”. What kind of line did you need to see to lower the limits? I was lucky enough to show up at 4:45(45 minutes after sales started) and buy a single 4pk off of someone who was still there. 1 can for me and three for friends and regular trade partners.

This week’s post also says 1 case limit per beer, with the limit subject to change. Your last collab release with HVB was an absolute shitshow with many getting shut out. If the yield is similar to the last release, why not lower limits immediately to spread the love to all?

Anyhow, looking forward to the brewery opening hopefully later this year. I’ll be there on Sunday around 11:45 hoping to score one 1pk of each without the 2 hour wait. If I miss out, I’ll try to score from monarch or pay double from some retailer who maxed out at opening.

7. xenjoiii

xenjoiii Disciple (310) Jul 24, 2010 New York

Hey Alex,

Thanks for writing.Couple of points:

1) we canned more beer this time. Last release was a big strange for us, as it was the first time we’ve seen nearly every person max their allotments out.

2) it’s stated in the post that the limit is subject to change. We’re using a case as a starting point. We did cut the limit toward the end of the last release. Everyone who waited in line got beer. Those that showed up later on missed out, which was unfortunate to see.

3) we don’t have a tasting room or retail outlet to sell cans direct to consumer. if we miscalculate and make the limit too low well be stuck with a bunch of cans that we can’t sell. We don’t allow Twelve Percent to distribute our cans, as we had issues in the past with leftovers from releases being held warm for too long and it effected the beer.

guinness77, Max_W and alexsergio like this.
  8. alexsergio

Society Trader

Thanks for the swift reply! Interesting to hear you had a problem with twelve percent. Not having a distributor would certainly make it hard to thread the needle between selling it all and pleasing anyone who planned to show up during the 3-4 hour sales period.

9. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (528) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Your beer has become sought after which immediately triggers the mules and traders. Once you start seeing ISO posts in the IG thread you know its ovee. While that aspect of beer culture sucks for the people who just want a 4 pack or two without the hassle of waiting hours, it does mean you guys have truly made it in the beer scene. And to that, I offer congratulations!

I can’t wait for the brewery to open. I’ll sit out this release and hope to get a few cans at Monarch.

10. xenjoiii

Thank you.

Prior to brewing, I was in the same boat: actively trading / trying as much of the sought after stuff as I could. It defined my taste / palate, which has been instrumental in my progression as a brewer. The technical/practical stuff is equally as important - and if it wasn’t for reading Shaun Hill’s opinions on working in a brewery before venturing out on your own, I probably never would have sought the path that I followed -but it will only get you so far. Thus, it has been truly gratifying to see that my work is now being held in the same regard of what once (and still does) inspired me to start brewing professionally. It’s been a long and challenging road.

I’m very much looking forward to the brewery opening, and having a space where I can share beers with you all.

cavedave, spersichilli, 2Xmd and 5 others like this.
  11. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (87) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

Snagged some draft on the way to the airport to catch my flight back home to Florida. Some of the best NEIPA’s I’ve had, definitely worth the stop. Couldn’t stay for cans but some friends are sending me some. My dad thinks the “gypsy brewer” thing is super cool lol

jaysker95 likes this.
  12. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,161) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Spectacle is flippin amazing. Big time pineapple/passion fruit smell and taste. So soft, like pillowy. Subtle dank, creamy pineapple finish. Christ.
    @xenjoiii you and Ryan have really outdone yourselves. Keep up the stellar work.

spersichilli and jaysker95 like this.
  13. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (371) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

Agreed with above. Was apprehensive about Spectacle before purchasing based on recent experiences with #badgalaxy (Triple Space Diamonds and the SC/EQ collab) and social media musings that it's the result of a bad crop.

My fears were assuaged. These cans are pretty great.

spersichilli and guinness77 like this.
  14. xenjoiii

Indeed there is a bad crop of Galaxy from the 2018 harvest floating around. The bad lot is from a farm in Tasmania. The Galaxy we’ve been using is from Victoria.

Glad you guys like the beer!

15. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (553) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Damn, this release completely slipped my mind. And I was in Lido Beach Sunday morning too...could have stopped into Monarch to check for cans. Oh well, I'll just have to wait for the new place to open to try R+B stuff for the first time.

16. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (308) Jun 25, 2016 New York

17. NewmansOwn

Monarch will be selling cans on Wednesday, check Root & Branch’s latest Instagram post

18. BoardwalkBock

Do you go to Lido often? I live on the border of Lido/LB and can snag some for you from Monarch if you are really dying for some.

SudsDoctor likes this.
  19. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (553) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Appreciate the offer, but I'm only rarely in that way. I'll just be patient...and start following them on IG.

EDIT: Which I just did, and saw that cans will also be available in Brightwaters which is much closer to home. Now if cans will only last there until Friday morning. :cold_sweat:

20. BoardwalkBock

Compulsatory Miseducation is absolutely stellar. Didn’t pick up the DIPA because I dont care for doubles in the summer heat but I’m sure it’s just as good.

Stellar job.

xenjoiii likes this.
  21. alexsergio

Society Trader

Hmmm they were both exactly 8.0 DIPAs.

Don’t hesitate to pick up the other one.

Comparison_Ford and xenjoiii like this.
  22. BoardwalkBock

Well that’s confusing since one was labeled a Double IPA on the can while the other did not label the style at all. And while I didnt look heavily, I did not see ABV listed on the can.

23. xenjoiii

Style, ABV and ingredients are stated on the side of the label.

spersichilli and alexsergio like this.
  24. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (87) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

The untappd descriptions are super thorough as well

25. BoardwalkBock

I don’t use untappd. I find that when people look up reviews or ratings prior trying a beer they already make up their mind which often leads to a preconceived notion of the quality of the beer instead of making up their own minds.

NewmansOwn and spersichilli like this.
  26. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (78) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Anybody going to the release at The Well? I wouldn't be able to get there until like 5:30, hoping there might be some left.

27. prettygood

prettygood Initiate (82) May 27, 2016 New York

Yeah, just saw that today from their instagram, but won't be able to get there till 730. If it's not sold out by then I'll probably stop in.

28. prettygood

prettygood Initiate (82) May 27, 2016 New York

15 cases and no limits still at the well according to insta

NewmansOwn likes this.
  29. NewmansOwn

Unrelated to this release, but The Well is the first bar in NYC I’ve ever been to that charged me a credit card fee...

prettygood likes this.
  30. JelloBeaArthur

JelloBeaArthur Initiate (15) Jun 14, 2019 New York

Hey there. Ian from The Well here. The CC fee is fairly new for us. It was either that or raise our prices, so we chose that. However, we definitely should have figured out a way to turn off the automatic fee for this release. Sorry about that. If/when we do this again, we will have solved that issue. Reach out to me next time you’re in our area and I’ll gladly buy you a beer to make it up to you.

xenjoiii, frozyn, prettygood and 2 others like this.
  31. JelloBeaArthur

JelloBeaArthur Initiate (15) Jun 14, 2019 New York

I tried posting this once already, but I guess it was deleted. Not sure why.

There are currently 9 cases left of the collab as of right now (4pm)

We've also taken off the CC fee.

Anyone who paid the CC fee yesterday, feel free to reach out to me so I can buy you a beer.

Anthony and Ryan, these beers are fantastic. You two are killing it!

ian@thewellbrooklyn.com

guinness77 likes this.
  32. xenjoiii

you’re a world class man, Ian.

33. Max_W

Society Trader

After the nice green city pre-release

34. Max_W

Society Trader

Congrats Anthony

35. Jlabs

Jlabs Meyvn (1,330) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

36. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (96) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

anyone ever been to one of these retail/bar drops before? Was going to duck out of work to try to hit this, but if it sells out in 15 mins and/or involves queueing up an hour+ before hand, I won't be able to swing it..

37. xenjoiii

The last release began at 3pm and the last 4pk was sold around 6-630pm, if I recall correctly.

38. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (96) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

Excellent news.. hoping this time is similar. Thanks for the quick reply!

39. BoardwalkBock

Wasn’t the last one at As Is though? Haymaker is a much easier bar to get to and is definitely more popular. Only a 3 min walk from Penn.

I’ve been to routine events (i.e. not can releases) at Haymaker at 4pm on a Tuesday that are so packed you can hardly move.

40. xenjoiii

No. The last release we held in NYC was also at Haymaker. Prior to that we held a release at The Well.

BoardwalkBock likes this.