Root + Branch Brewing

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Shawn_Sins, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (82) Sep 7, 2016 New York

That’s on the money. Exactly my thoughts that it was like a Grimm. Unfortunately, it’s more like one of my least favorites: Splish. I’m getting a lot of rich caramel. Looking forward to seeing this develop as well.

RobNewton likes this.
  2. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (306) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Agreed, just picked up a can and it is delicious!

RobNewton likes this.
  3. Brian_Lynch

Brian_Lynch Initiate (113) Nov 18, 2014 New York

Milk and Hops Chelsea has Crystal Spirit 2 pp....also After Image 2 pp

RobNewton likes this.
  4. ImPourTed

ImPourTed Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2014 New York

Swung by Milk and Hops UES yesterday and saw cans and asked to buy but they said theyre not on sale yet... then why put them out?

RobNewton likes this.
  5. GothamJasper

GothamJasper Initiate (69) Mar 17, 2017 New York

Milk and Hops UES just posted that it's available today, 2pp. Not surprised they told you that, they told someone that KBS was for on site consumption only...

6. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,158) Jan 6, 2014 New York

They have to put them in the POS system before they can “officially” sell them. I know, I’ve been there before, it sucks.

7. GothamJasper

Milk and Hops UES still had some, not sure how many as I had to ask for them. City Swiggers also just announced availability, 2pp

8. xenjoiii

xenjoiii Disciple (310) Jul 24, 2010 New York

We have a bit of a problem on our hands - a dissolved oxygen problem. I was scrolling through the untappd reviews for Crystal Spirit this afternoon, and noticed photos of what appears to be oxidized cans (brown beer opposed to orange beer). Upon this discovery, I opened 32 cans from an allotment that I put aside to give out to friends and family, and came across one can that was oxidized. Most of the beer is fine, but not all of it, and that’s unacceptable to us. It seems like the folks at our host brewery may have not done the greatest job of running this beer through their canning line - Dead Men was packaged without issue by Iron Heart. I was there on packaging day, and personally weighed about 3/4 of the cans that came off of the line, and the numbers were fine. I think we’re looking at a seamer issue or poor FOB (foam over beer) prior to seaming. We haven’t received any complaints about this yet, but it’s something that I cannot ignore; quality is something that I lose sleep over, and I’m very upset about this. With that being said, if you open a can that is off, please please email me (anthonyjsorice@gmail.com) or Twelve Percent (Twelve.percent.beer.project@gmail.com) with a photo. We’re working with Twelve Percent and our host facility to address this issue, and come up with a solution. If you are in procession of cans, we recommend opening them sooner rather than later. Our sincerest apologies.

9. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (257) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Thanks so much for the transparency, @xenjoiii, and the commitment for redressing the issue. I just bought a can of Crystal Spirit which I'll be cracking open tonight.

NiceBeerCans, frozyn and rozzom like this.
  10. xenjoiii

Of course. Please report back on the state of that can.

SpinSamzo likes this.
  11. PapasDelicateCondition

That's good to know. When I poured it and saw the color, it crossed my mind that my can might be oxidized and now I'm sure it was. You can find the photo of it under my same Untappd name. Sorry I said it smelled like a wet dog. I bought a four pack so I would expect to see what all the rage is about with the last three. Thanks for owning up to it. @xenjoiii

12. GreaserGreg

GreaserGreg Initiate (61) Feb 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

Just had a can at BGH and it was drinking well. No DO issues. What's the hop bill on this one? Got the sense that the piney was Chinook, but couldn't pinpoint the aromatic side, maybe Galaxy?

13. SpinSamzo

Trader

No issues, and tasting great!

NiceBeerCans likes this.
  14. PapasDelicateCondition

No question my first can was the opposite of getting the golden ticket. Second can was a completely different and delicious, aromatic beer.

15. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (75) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

Cracked my second can of my 4-pack from GSB.

[​IMG]

Shot them an email. Does this mean my other two cans are duds as well, or does it have no bearing? First can was excellent.
    [​IMG]

16. guinness77

I’m in your boat...my first can was absolutely amazing, my second can looked exactly like yours. I’m gonna drink my other two sooner than later for sure.

17. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (75) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

Genuine question, but if the cans are oxidized would how soon you opened them matter at this point? If my can was looking like that 11 days after being packaged, wouldn't it only get worse?

18. ScottKramer

ScottKramer Initiate (57) May 27, 2016 New York
    Trader

I had an oxidized can last night, I got it from a place that had received it only Monday. The place keeps beers cold, but I wonder if the beer may not have been kept cold during the distribution process may have accelerated the process.
    And @brandnewcardock , my understanding is that once the oxidation process starts it only gets worse...but some cans may or may not be more/less oxygen exposure than others so some oxidized cans (kept cold) may be doing better than others?

RobNewton and guinness77 like this.
  19. guinness77

Agree with @ScottKramer , if the can is oxidized it will only get worse. I received my cans cold from GSB and they stayed cold, so that wasn’t an issue for me.

And, not every can is oxidized. More are probably not than are. I just figure the quicker I drink them, the less the oxygen becomes an issue. If they’re oxidized already, then I have an issue, regardless.

RobNewton and ScottKramer like this.
  20. digdug1810

digdug1810 Aspirant (230) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

just drank a can, not sure if it was totally oxidized but was showing signs and wasn't very pleasant... i have no picture at this time.. have one can left in the fridge, friend had picked up a 4 pack and i got 2 cans

21. xenjoiii

Unfortunately, I have no definitive answer for you all, on whether or not all of the cans picked up extreme levels of DO during packaging. I suggest not waiting to find out.

The folks at GSB seem to think that they didn’t purge the brite tank well enough with C02, but if that were the case ALL of the beer would be oxidized. Some cans are fine, some are destroyed. All of the draft is fine. I think the canning line was not operated properly - or they haven’t been keeping on top of their seamer.

They ran a run of another brewery’s cans yesterday, and brought Iron Heart in to help troubleshoot and dial things in. Some cans were packaged by Iron Heart on their line, whereas some cans were packaged on GSBs line by a GSB employee that was shadowed by someone from Iron Heart.

I’m glad to see that they’re taking measures to bring the quality of packaging up, but of course am not happy that we had to be the victims to point out that they have some serious issues on their hands that need immediate rectification.

RobNewton, guinness77, 2Xmd and 3 others like this.
  22. Phreeballing

Phreeballing Initiate (151) Sep 19, 2015 New York
    Trader

I bought a case. 12 for me/brother and 12 were traded. I had 2 good and the rest were duds. Hearing back from trading partners and my brother that they were duds. Really disappointing. I emailed and they said they will try to make right by those who wasted their money. I hope they do

23. PapasDelicateCondition

Kind of makes you realize how crazy it is to buy a 4pack let alone a case of beer that you’ve never had before from a brand spankin new brewery. I don’t feel like that’s their fault.

24. xenjoiii

It’s difficult to gauge things like this, especially when you’re moving from facility to facility - there are so many variables. We’ve had successes and failures at both breweries we’ve worked at. Our brewday for Dead Men was an absolute nightmare - one of the brewers opened a wrong valve and flooded the whirlpool with 15bbls of water. We had to dump the entire batch and start over. Everything at GSB was smooth sailing up until packaging. We’re as hands on as we can be, but there are somethings that are out of our control. It’s just as frustrating for us, as it is for you. Some of you may have spent $18-100+ and received some bad cans and we feel really bad about it. We are going to make it up to those that sent us emails with photos and feedback. We will be sending an email out to all that we’ve heard from closer to our next release. Ryan and I are working on things now.

frozyn, bryantc3, Xerlic and 3 others like this.
  25. Phreeballing

Trader

Well it’s not the customers fault. People wouldn’t have the right to be upset if they thought they beer was just not their thing. But when their are issues they don’t know about and their are buying undrinkable beer, then yeah they have every right to be bummed. As for buying amounts? I split a case 3 ways. I dont think that’s crazy. The two untainted ones I had were great. Wish the others were drinkable

26. dhaakon

dhaakon Devotee (440) May 30, 2005 New York
    Society

great at dhaakon math problem...

At Phreeballing bought a case and split it 3 ways. Half were divided up between him and his brother and the other half were given to trading partners. He had 2 good cans and the rest were duds. How many duds did At Phreeballing personally experience?

BONUS QUESTION: If his trading partners experienced 3 duds and his brother none, how many duds were in the case? How likely is it that his trading partners will trade again?

DovGibor, RobNewton, frozyn and 2 others like this.
  27. rozzom

rozzom Champion (835) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

12.119%

You’re obviously totally right. But given the transparency and clear desire to put this right on the brewery’s part, I think it’s worth giving them the benefit of the doubt and some support until it’s clear how this plays out. I’m sure the disappointment/level of bummed-ness they’re feeling is many multiples of where we’re all at.

28. Phreeballing

Trader

Yeah, they handled it wonderfully. Never said they didn’t

29. ScottKramer

ScottKramer Initiate (57) May 27, 2016 New York
    Trader

Both my cans oxidized, one tuesday and one thursday. The thursday was undrinkable, the tuesday was like a malted mediocre beer. On wednesday I had cans at a bar that were really really good, pretty clear great things to come!
    And yes, very impressed with the response-- the first I heard about the problem was the brewery posting both on instagram and here proactively, usually these things are not handled so well. Particularly impressive for a startup.....

guinness77, frozyn and rozzom like this.
  30. frozyn

frozyn Defender (616) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Amen. @xenjoiii, you're doing it right by being forthright and proactive, and as you work these hiccups out the goodwill you're building will compound rapidly. Keep making great beer, keep being honest, and the rest will fall into place. :beers:

RobNewton, Brian_Lynch and rozzom like this.
  31. jkearns33168

jkearns33168 Initiate (50) Feb 10, 2015 New Jersey

I just saw Haymaker in Manhattan post that they have cans of Crystal Spirit for sale, $8 a can. Shouldn't these have been pulled from circulation if there is an oxidation problem?

RobNewton likes this.
  32. xenjoiii

Contacting them now! Thank you.

RobNewton and guinness77 like this.
  33. WheelsPSU

WheelsPSU Zealot (553) Aug 25, 2013 New Jersey

I opened mine tonight and it was a bad one unfortunately. Milk & Hops Astor Place still has these in their fridge as of this afternoon
    [​IMG]

34. bubige

bubige Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Opened mine tonight and it was oxidized. I poured it out. My buddy literally just tipped me off about this thread after he saw my Untappd check-in. Pretty bummed since last week, the other can I had was great.

35. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (37) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Beer street advertising cans on Instagram.

36. GothamJasper

Will there be limited distribution in the city for "Nomadic Approach to Reinventing the Wheel" @xenjoiii

37. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (921) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

38. SpinSamzo

Trader

I'm actually on a mini-vacation in LI now, saw the Instagram post yesterday, and was planning on stopping by Georgio's (since it sounds awesome) to pick up a bag of the Ethiopian sidamo beans, but unfortunately it will be closed when I pass by back to NYC.

39. xenjoiii

When I was introduced to his shop years ago by a good friend of mine, he described Georgio as the “Shaun Hill” of coffee. It’s a tiny, unassuming shop in industrial farmingdale. No food. No WiFi. Just world class coffee - I don’t know where else you can walk into a shop and find a limited run of Geisha cold brew for the day. He always has really insane stuff.

I’m not sure, actually. The beer was brewed through Evil Twin, so they control where it ends up.

We will be dropping our next batch next week with a release at GSB (packaged by iron heart). The announcement is forthcoming - most likely tomorrow.

40. DJbrewmaster

DJbrewmaster Initiate (17) Dec 11, 2017 New York

Amazing release tonight. Was able to stop in after work, try the beer on tap, then pick up cans very easily in the tap room. Excellent aroma, tropical and juicy flavor, rounds out with a smooth finish. GSB is a little bit of a trek for me from Queens, but this beer was worth it.

Phreeballing and xenjoiii like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.