Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xenjoiii

xenjoiii Disciple (311) Jul 24, 2010 New York

Thanks for coming out. I’m really happy with this one.

ScottKramer and guinness77 like this.
  2. Phreeballing

Phreeballing Initiate (163) Sep 19, 2015 New York
    Trader

Yes to everything except the drive, I’m only 10 minutes away. This beer is absolutely fantastic

xenjoiii likes this.
  3. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,196) Jan 6, 2014 New York

[​IMG]
    Absolutely no issues with this DIPA. Echoing the previous statements...a fantastic beer. Nice hop bite, lots of flavor, great job.

discord257 and ScottKramer like this.
  4. xenjoiii

Thanks pal!

For you brewing savvy folks: following the last issue, GSB invested in a DO meter. We checked DO levels throughout the entire transfer and packaging process. The beer was checked twice once it reached the BBT. 7ppb on the first run, and 0.3ppb on the second run. Averaged at 3.5ppb of dissolved oxygen in the BBT. We tested cans throughout the run, and total oxygen pick up was between 30-40ppb in the can. Extremely low numbers, and I couldn’t be happier about it.

5. HansCastorp

HansCastorp Initiate (88) Mar 16, 2007 Ohio

Great to hear you and GSB got that all figured out. (I certainly don't understand the science of it but it sound pretty precise and resolved.) Agree with all others: great release yesterday and a fantastic brew.

You may have already answered this, but will you be canning the coffee stout or is it draft only? If just draft, will it get distributed around Long Island.

thanks and cheers

6. xenjoiii

It’ll be draft only, and dropped around LI and NYC.

balto22, HansCastorp and frozyn like this.
  7. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (262) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Totally forgot about the Proletariat event, ugh. Will cans of Dome of Heaven be distributed across NYC?

8. xenjoiii

Indeed, they will. They’re being picked up from GSB today. I assume they’ll start hitting accounts by Wednesday/Thursday.

9. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (171) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

would you able to provide a list of locations for the drops?

10. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (78) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

Picked up my replacement cans yesterday at Proletariat after some bad luck with The Crystal Spirit and cracked one last night...absolutely loving this one. Really incredible stuff, and super happy this release seemed to go without a hitch for them.

Not to mention, replacing bad cans was a really awesome move.

11. GothamJasper

GothamJasper Initiate (70) Mar 17, 2017 New York

Completely agree, picked up my can yesterday and stayed to try both new releases. Both were outstanding, thanks again for the replacement can!

biafra809 and ScottKramer like this.
  12. xenjoiii

Of course! It was the least we could do. I’m glad to hear that you guys are enjoying “Heaven.”

balto22, biafra809 and ScottKramer like this.
  13. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (373) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

Dome of Heaven is ridiculously good. Sad I couldn't make the release, but really happy I got the opportunity to try this.

14. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,196) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Wow. There were replacement cans?

15. Mattttt

Mattttt Initiate (58) Feb 20, 2018 New York
    Trader

Word from my regular shop is that dome got held up in distro, anyone seeing cans of this in stores anywhere in nyc yet?

16. xenjoiii

Yes. We gave cans of “Heaven” to everyone that emailed us with photos of off crystal spirit cans.

17. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (318) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Picked up a can earlier at Milk And Hops (the Astor location)

Mattttt likes this.
  18. Mattttt

Mattttt Initiate (58) Feb 20, 2018 New York
    Trader

Ahhh. pretty deceptive that he worded it as if no other stores got it either...
    anyone else got leads on who else has this/ is likely to have any left?

19. ScottKramer

ScottKramer Initiate (57) May 27, 2016 New York
    Trader

Process was fast, clear, and very easy. Great response and service! Thanks

biafra809 likes this.
  20. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (952) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

+ Proletariat has some awesome events this week

Daveshek28 and SpinSamzo like this.
  21. SpinSamzo

Trader

I was told Bread and Honey sold out 25 minutes after they posted to Instagram...

22. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (186) Nov 10, 2015 New York

I go to Georgio's a couple days a week, right around the corner from my job. Hope to see this somewhere around soon!

23. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (318) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Midtowners be thirsty, Threes still has cans from 3 days ago.

24. SpinSamzo

Trader

Perfect I'll actually be around that area tomorrow

25. Socialillness

Socialillness Initiate (48) May 9, 2018 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]
    This beer is better than tits... Picked up a dozen cans at craftbeer and smoke shop in Williamsburg... Matt the owner had no idea he had a gem in his cooler cheers

RobNewton likes this.
  26. SpinSamzo

Trader

I had the stout at Proletariat and it was very good. I finally got my hands on Dome of Heaven cans and was absolutely blown away by it.

27. icfpny

icfpny Initiate (135) Apr 3, 2015 New York

I very much enjoyed the R+B can they had at Proletariat, was really disappointed by the stout though and that's the whole reason why I went. Very thin, no head, no lacing, almost seemed to be no carb whatsoever. Not sure if that's what they were going for or if it was some sort of keg/line issue. Hopefully I can try it again at some point.

RobNewton likes this.
  28. xenjoiii

That is pretty much what I was going for with the recipe: a small, straightforward stout with coffee. It was designed to showcase the coffee we used - a really delicate light roasted coffee. I didn’t want it get buried by roasted malts and residual sugars. In the beers description, I specifically state that the beer is intentionally carbonated low - 2.3vols of C02 to be exact. The overall experience I was going for was something along the lines of a glass of cold brew.

With that being said, I will brew super dense imperial stouts and porters down the line. If that’s what you’re looking for in this, you will be disappointed.

DovGibor, rozzom, balto22 and 5 others like this.
  29. bryantc3

Never bothered to see if they had an Instagram page, good to know.

30. ScottKramer

ScottKramer Initiate (57) May 27, 2016 New York
    Trader

I had the stout at Proletariat (granted after Cantillon and 3F!); I was going to post that I think I have never had a coffee stout that was as much dominated by the coffee flavor; additionally, many coffee stouts have a strong/bitter flavor while this really seemed fresher/lighter It may be because I am used to many coffee stouts having further adjuncts (bourbon, etc), but it did seem to have a lighter mouthfeel than I expected. I enjoyed it a lot.

rozzom and RobNewton like this.
  31. xenjoiii

Coffee bean to beer ratio / time / temperature. We tried to replicate Georgio’s cold brew technique/process. I’d say we came close. My disappoint with the beer is that the beautiful blueberry / strawberry character of the Ardi is outshined by the base beer. I’ll definitely be tweaking, and doing this again down the road. We’re working on a cascara beer with them next. Most likely a light blonde / cream ale with their cascara.

balto22, SpinSamzo, RobNewton and 3 others like this.
  32. Daveshek28

It's 930 am and I want this coffee stout right now lol. Going to hit Georgio's to get hit half of that fix shortly :slight_smile:

rozzom, balto22 and RobNewton like this.
  33. bryantc3

thoughts on pouring this (currently released) stout on nitro?

34. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I gotta try this stout. Love great coffee and it sounds like @xenjoiii is taking a killer approach.

rozzom likes this.
  35. icfpny

icfpny Initiate (135) Apr 3, 2015 New York

Ha I'll definitely aim to try them all.

36. avas

avas Devotee (435) Apr 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

As an avid cold brew drinker, I love this approach. Going to seek this out for sure (crossing my fingers it's still on at Proletariat tonight).

While we're on the subject, I was wondering if you could perhaps shed some light on the caffeine content in coffee-heavy stouts like this one? I've never really received a straightforward answer from brewers before (I know there's also legal implications of mixing caffeine + alcohol above particular thresholds in some places...), but without revealing too much about your process or implicating yourself in a not-so-serious crime, can you provide a rough estimate of the caffeine content in 16oz of Twist Away? Good friend of mine is an avid lover of stouts, but very caffeine sensitive. He's passed on a bunch of great beers over the past few years as a result, but I'm not convinced the caffeine content in these lower ABV coffee stouts anywhere near the level at which he needs to be concerned.

37. Socialillness

Socialillness Initiate (48) May 9, 2018 New York
    Trader

I love this beer more than I love crunchy peanut butter
    [​IMG]

Daveshek28 likes this.
  38. HansCastorp

HansCastorp Initiate (88) Mar 16, 2007 Ohio

Does anyone know places where Gates of Steel is on tap? The cold brew comparison only made me want to try it more. I'm only seeing Proletariat and Great South Bay as places where it has been checked in. Any info welcome.

cheers

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  39. Daveshek28

Tough call for me. I had this beer again last night and it was fan-f'in-tastic, however I eat crunchy PB every day for lunch so....

40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,154) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Every day!?!:astonished:

That sounds like some mad love right there!!

Maybe you can talk to Anthony to see if he can brew up a batch of beer using crunchy PB?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

Daveshek28 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.