Root + Branch Brewing

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Shawn_Sins, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (186) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Monday-Friday at work yep. PB sandwich and an apple every workday!

JackHorzempa likes this.
  2. Socialillness

Socialillness Initiate (48) May 9, 2018 New York
    Trader

Just picked up more cans at Campbell cheese shop in Williamsburg... Their sandwiches are out of this world also

3. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (317) Jun 25, 2016 New York

How’s the evil twin collab, haven’t seen cans around yet...

4. Socialillness

Trader

It was just as good as everything root and branch has been putting out... Picked up some cans a couple weeks ago at food emporium and might pick up some more at milk and hops tomorrow just to revisit.. Or might just head up the block to torst after work its everywhere if you know where to look

5. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,192) Jan 6, 2014 New York

It’s a top notch DIPA. I don’t think it was quite where Dome and Dead Men were but it’s not far off and definitely worth getting a can or 2 while it’s still fresh.

6. kylestearns

kylestearns Initiate (54) Nov 12, 2011 Virginia
    Trader

Clutch move calling this out! Going to swing by there before they close tonight. Their biscuits are so dank.

7. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (39) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Finally had some at One Mile House and closed out the keg after a few pours. It was excellent, right there with anything in Other Half's regular rotation.
    Selfishly hoping you gain quick distribution in the Philadelphia/S NJ area.

8. xenjoiii

xenjoiii Disciple (310) Jul 24, 2010 New York

With the volume of beer we currently produce, and plan to produce at our facility, I don’t envision sending beer outside of NY.

9. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (39) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Given the issues with over expansion, competition, and dangers of private equity loading you with debt that's what I figured. Based on the way the cans fly off the shelves you've got a lot of demand to still meet anyway just in NYC. If nothing else at least all the new competition should help those people not looking to be up at 830am on a Saturday to get top shelf product.

10. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (87) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Didn't see this posted yet, hoping that this will hit the same NYC distro as Dome of Heaven?

11. xenjoiii

This may not see distribution. Based on the turn out of the last release, I envision this selling out at the brewery.

Following this release, any beer that I brew in CT will also see a Long Island release as well. For example, I will be brewing a new batch of Crystal Spirit next week in CT. The cans will be split - half released in CT and half released in LI.

In addition, I brewed a new beer yesterday at GSB, which will be released in LI at GSB.

guinness77 and 2Xmd like this.
  12. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (87) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Well that's disappointing, but looking forward to catching it on draft.

13. xenjoiii

It was a last minute decision to make this beer. We were offered a 10bbl tank at Veracious, right before I left for Europe. I’m brewing 30bbl batches on LI to put things into perspective. A very small batch, which is why it will most likely sell out on Sunday.

Its tough for us to see the beer stay in CT, when we’re based on LI, and will be opening our brewery on LI. At the same time, we are only offered tank space to brew once or twice a month, so it would have been foolish to pass on the opportunity to make more beer.

frozyn, 2Xmd, BoardwalkBock and 2 others like this.
  14. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (951) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

15. guinness77

Lol @WheelsPSU I’m assuming you’re in the wrong thread.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  16. xenjoiii

Funny enough, I was chatting with Jesse and Nick last night about brewing something together this summer.

17. TangoJuliet

TangoJuliet Disciple (308) Apr 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

Any update on thursday’s release?

18. xenjoiii

I made an announcement on Instagram earlier today. Cans + our first piece of glassware for sale at 4pm on Thursday at GSB.

19. TangoJuliet

Trader

Cool, thanks Anthony. I don’t use Instagram. Got the email about the hoptron/Mikkeller event too

20. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (541) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Dope. I’ll finally be able to make a release.

21. BoardwalkBock

@xenjoiii Eyes Without A Face is absolutely fantastic. The flavor is off the charts for a 6.5%. I'm really glad to have a single IPA in my fridge. Just wish I bought more than 2 four-packs.

Keep these coming. I'll make sure to hit every release.

2Xmd and guinness77 like this.
  22. guinness77

I have to agree, very fucking good. I wasn’t going to have one tonight, but I’m happy I did. I have too many DIPAs in my house right now and this is perfect. Best part, I had @2Xmd on line right in front of me and we didn’t realize it until we got to the front. It was cool to see him. And @xenjoiii cant thank you enough. Really appreciate it. Really great job on this one.

2Xmd likes this.
  23. BoardwalkBock

What time were you guys there? I got there at 330 and had a pour. Got on line when it started and was probably 10-15th in line. Out by 4pm. Easy.

24. guinness77

I got in at about 4:20ish, we were out within about 15 minutes I’d guess. I didn’t get anything to drink while I was there but I heard from a guy a few people in front of us that the Eyes Without a Face keg was already kicked.

25. xenjoiii

Thanks for coming out guys. Really glad that you're happy with the beer. I find that it has a really unique/pungent orange oil note on the palate.

We've got a busy summer ahead of us! Up next is Crystal Spirit (brewed in CT - release at hoptron on 7/14), followed by a riff on "dome of heaven" that I'll be brewing at GSB in the coming weeks. Hopefully, we can squeeze a 5%ish Pale Ale to close out the summer. Ryan and I will be brewing with friends in San Diego and LA mid-july.

2Xmd and guinness77 like this.
  26. alexsergio

alexsergio Meyvn (1,387) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

In an effort to slow the hype a lil bit, the keg kicking is inaccurate. I was there at 5 something yesterday. Zero wait. Got my cans, grabbed a flight of sad GSB beers, and heard several people ordering and receiving pours of Eyes while i was at the bar.

To reverse the hype slowing, I will agree that Eyes is phenomenal. Wish I had more...

27. guinness77

All I know is I asked a guy if what was in his cup was Eyes Without a Face and he told me when he tried to get one they were out of it (tap-wise, not cans-wise). I was dead sober and it was about 4:40. Maybe he was mistaken, but I asked him and that’s what he said.

alexsergio likes this.
  28. alexsergio

alexsergio Meyvn (1,387) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

I’m not doubting that someone told you that, I’m just saying my experience at 5:20 included witnessing two people having it on tap. :slight_smile:

All good, no biggie. The beer is sooo tasty.

guinness77 likes this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Glad to see you doing so well, man, another Wantarian makes good. Definitely gotta get some of your beer soon! Cheers!

30. xenjoiii

We did actually kick a keg of Eyes Without a Face around 4pm. However, we decided to put another on being that the first kicked so fast. The kegs were wrapped on a stacked pallet in the cooler, and it took a little for one of GSBs employees to tap it.

Dave! How are things man? It’s been a while since that last Le Bleu release! Spring 2012?

cavedave, alexsergio and guinness77 like this.
  31. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Doing well, thanks, happily divorced and retired, and life, she is good. So glad to see you're killing it with Root + Branch, can't wait to try some. Have a tasting w/Ken, my partner in crime, tomorrow, we still talk about that wonderful morning spent with you at Ithaca. Wantarians rule!

SpinSamzo and ONovoMexicano like this.
  32. TangoJuliet

Trader

Drank my first can of eyes and it’s phenomenal. Nice job!

33. guinness77

Just had my second after a day’s work. Wow, that’s it. Damn near perfect.

2Xmd and TangoJuliet like this.
  34. TangoJuliet

Trader

Perfect summer beer

guinness77 likes this.
  35. BoardwalkBock

Really wish I got more than my standard 2 4-pack hauls. Crazy good beer.

36. Socialillness

Trader

This beer is still amazing.. @xenjoiii you are a modern day Rembrandt
    [​IMG]

37. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (373) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

Drinking my last Eyes Without a Face right now and it's still spectacular. I was apprehensive about revisiting cans after the oxidized batch of Crystal Spirit, but between Dome of Heaven and this I'm back on the bandwagon real hard.

RobNewton likes this.
  38. xenjoiii

Glad to hear! We've worked pretty hard to get things dialed in at GSB.

Our next beer should be ready to release next week - its looking like Saturday August 18th at GSB. We'll be making an announcement sometime this week, once its squared away with them.

Similar to "Dome of Heaven," in terms of the grist. For the hops, however, I reversed the quantities of Citra and Motueka, and subbed and doubled the quantity of Galaxy used for Vic Secret. Everyone Levitates Above Their Own Sea of Hell.

rozzom and Samlover55 like this.
  39. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (85) Sep 7, 2016 New York

Still a cover band until beers get original names instead of named after other artists’ work!
    Have you considered Everyone Levitates Above Their Own Sea of Hops/Haze or some pun along those lines? That’s what Rembrandt would do.

RobNewton likes this.
  40. xenjoiii

I will never incorporate a hop/beer related pun into any of my beers.

Do you consider Hill Farmstead Brewery to be a “plagiarist?”

I have original titles for my mixed fermentation beers, as those are wholly unique. IPA is just...IPA. It would be impossible to keep churning out names that hold meaning, and I’m not one for rambling. Thus, I opt for pieces of music, literature and works of art that have had some sort of impact on me; and I always give credit to the artist, musician or writer on the label.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.