Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...

RR in Portland

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Eighty, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eighty

Eighty Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2013 Washington

Hey Portland, anyone know where I might be able to pick up some RR Consecration or Temptation? Called a couple places - so far no luck. Are they available around this time of year?

2. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aspirant (204) Feb 21, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Apex, prepare to pay the markup.

KiMiRaiK likes this.
  3. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Aspirant (237) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Check whole foods and zupans locations. They often have stuff longer than the bottle shops.

4. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

Cheese bar had some russian river sours last i heard

5. hannont

hannont Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2008 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Beaumont Market had Consecration as of two days ago.

6. Eighty

Picked up the last two Consecration from Beaumont Market. Still looking for Temptation. Thanks all!

7. digita7693

digita7693 Disciple (394) Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

Cheese Bar had a few russian river beers yesterday, consecration, supplication, something else, elder.
    Woodsman market on Division has consecration.
    Whole Foods Pearl has a few different bottles of RR, but I dont remember seeing temptation.

cheers

8. Eighty

Oof, cheese bar's prices...
    Consecration
    @Beaumont, $13
    @Apex, $14
    @Cheese Bar, $15.5

9. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (290) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

It's not really a bottle shop. Sure, they sell stuff to go, but the prices are geared towards the dine in crowd, and as far as bars are concerned their prices are pretty good. Another thought to consider is that they would probably be sold out like most places in town if they only charged $12.

10. Eighty

Yeah, understandable. $15.5 was the to-go price. $19 in house - roughly 50% markup from retail, which I suppose is the norm in many places.

11. BoodyBeer

BoodyBeer Initiate (15) May 28, 2005 Massachusetts

MoC in SW have both in stock as of yesterday.

12. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Aspirant (237) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

There's a Consecration on the shelf at Pastaworks on Hawthorne. $12.50 or something.

13. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,593) Oct 25, 2003 France
    Beer Trader

The West Linn MofC has a shelf of the Consecration, priced at $12.49. The way things tend to move there, it'll all still be there a couple of months from now (so no need to rush on over). My impression is that they sell a fair amount of craft beer there, but "esoteric" stuff like consecration seems to stick around for a long time. They had a bunch of supplication and santification there as well today. (even a lonely last bottle of pelican imperial IPA, that I haven't seen any place else).

14. oregone

oregone Disciple (357) Jul 2, 2008 Oregon

The Imperial Pelican Ale is the same as the old regular IPA. They rebranded it to coincide with a price increase and the release of their English style 'single' IPA. But, you know it's fairly fresh at least since that only happened a few months ago!

15. Eighty

Thanks for the help everyone!

[​IMG]

KiMiRaiK and SatlyMalty like this.
  16. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2012 Washington

God I love those beers... If you can find it, make sure you get a couple sanctification as well. It's my 2nd favorite RR

17. HappyPappy2X

HappyPappy2X Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2012 Oregon

My secret beer store: Bi-Mart on Halsey and 122nd. The manager is a beer Geek. Always some Supplication there for cheapest I've seen. The guy must be a Scottish Ale fan - always has Traquair, Skull Splitter, etc...

18. ramnuts

ramnuts Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2009 Oregon

Really? The Imperial Pelican of late is an 8%er. The mainline Pelican IPA was not that high. Did they tweak the recipe?

19. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2008 Oregon

I believe the Pelican IPA was always 8%, and priced slightly higher than their competition, which caused confusion. It is now "appropriately" named, but the exact same beer, according to their reps.

20. ramnuts

Gobigvt7 likes this.
  21. Gobigvt7

haha, an artful touche. They told me it was the same beer! Must have decided to embrace the imperial a little more in order to really justify the name change.

22. ramnuts

the Pelican reps in VA told you that?

23. oregone

oregone Disciple (357) Jul 2, 2008 Oregon

Its been 8% for at least a few years. According to their brewery, its the same recipe. They had toyed with the idea of bringing back the actual Imperial Pelican Ale (still listed on here), but went with the rename and price increase to correspond with the introduction of Silvefspot English IPA. But it IS a big ipa. Again, its been 8% and 80ibu give or take for quite some time.

Edit: I dont know if it has increased in abv over the years, but a half percent wouldnt be out of the realm of possibility for batch variation. I mean, they have been making this beer for awhile. But be assured, same beer, different name.

Gobigvt7 likes this.
  24. Gobigvt7

I live in PDX and I'm the buyer at the Hop & Vine. Didn't realize my location still said VA.

25. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,593) Oct 25, 2003 France
    Beer Trader

I would be curious to know when they changed the label then. It's not something I look for or buy all the time, but I always recalled it being 7.5%. That's the reason I assumed it was a different beer (not that .5% is a huge difference). In addition to the slight increase in the abv., I just assmed the recipe was different as well.

26. ramnuts

Ah, I see now. The VA addy threw me off...:wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.