Rumor: Bangor, ME Friars Brewing

Discussion in 'New England' started by AdamsDTD, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Anyone who's lived in Bangor knows about the Franciscan Brothers who run the Friars' Bakehouse downtown. Well, I've been told by a friend that the Brothers are in the process of obtaining a brewing license, and will be selling bottles very soon. I don't know a lot of details, but they told my friend they've been working on recipes for a long time, and hope to start selling in the next few months. He was led to believe bottles will be available at the bakehouse, but no word on other retail.

2. mclaughlindw4

mclaughlindw4 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2009 Maine

I had a dunkelweisen that they made, so I guess the rumours you heard were true. It was ok. A
    Friend shared it with me who got it from a coworker who I think knows them or something.

3. AdamsDTD

Something interesting to add to the Maine beer scene. Interested to see how they'll run the operation with everything else they've got on their plates.

4. Archemedies

Archemedies Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Bangor has a lot of things going for it. Three great bottle shops and a top tier beer bar. Be nice to see them have a brewery now.

5. mclaughlindw4

Hogan road Deli !!!

Where are the other good bottle shops? This is all I know of, their selection gets bigger and better every time I go (I make it up that way a couple times a year).

6. AdamsDTD

Bangor Wine and Cheese is also good. They actually had BCBS Cherry Rye yesterday afternoon.

7. Archemedies

Archemedies Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

My favorite three up there were Bangor Wine, Hogan Rd Deli, and State St Wine Cellar.

8. JuliusTheCat

JuliusTheCat Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Maine

Geaghan's Bros is already up here and making some some very decent beers. Great prices on Growlers & halfies.

9. AdamsDTD

I love the Capt. Kool and Dad's Oatmeal Stout. Really solid brews.

10. JuliusTheCat

JuliusTheCat Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Maine

I love being able to get a fresh IPA right intown w/o having to drive to Belfast. As nice of a selection as the bottle shops have here there are some atrociously old IPA's floating around. Bangor Wine & Cheese had DFH 90 min from July last week. HRD has stone IPA six packs so old the font isn't even updated on them. So, Capt. Kool is a godsend. Six bucks for two pints in my kitchen & I don't have to worry about not finishing a full growler. Love them.

11. mclaughlindw4

Nice I will have to check out the geaghans place. I think one nice things about the stores in bangor is that when they get nice things, they do not fly off the shelves as fast as they do here in portland. I shop the stores here all the time but totally missed when the regular bcbs came. I ended up finding it up there at hogan rd (where I was also pleased to find they have practically no mark up on singles)

12. mclaughlindw4

per my buddy Jbar: "Friars got license, will begin selling 2 liter growlers in april 8th."

AdamsDTD likes this.
  13. BrDonald

BrDonald Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2013 Maine

Grace and Peace to you!

Hi everyone. This is Bro. Donald, keeper of the brewhouse at St. Elilzabeth Monastery in Bucksport. I'm here to give you the definitive details about our brew! Our kickoff is planned for Saturday, September 14 at Bangor Wine and Cheese on Hammond St. in Bangor. All of our brews are cellared in 750 ml bottles with cork/cage closure. We brew on the monastery grounds in our modest brewhouse. Our beers are hand crafted, small batch, bottled conditioned and each bottle is individually hand numbered by batch and bottle. To begin, we will be offering:

St. Francis Brown Ale - An English style brown hopped with distinctively American hops.

Traditional Monastery Ale - An Amber Belgian style single, flavored with orange, coriander and juniper...Brewers' favorite!

Our Original "Whoopie Pie" Robust Chocolate Porter - A dark, full bodied, bittersweet chocolate porter...We hope it will soon be as famous as our Whoopie Pies!

Hope you cam join us for our kickoff!

Pax et Bonum,
    Br. Donald Paul FBSE
    Keeper of the Brewhouse

BeahDrinkah, tehzachatak and AdamsDTD like this.
  14. AdamsDTD

Thanks so much for the updates. I unfortunately won't be able to make it up, but I hope to send some family members in my place.

15. commis

commis Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2009 Massachusetts

ISO all three.

16. jim_carignan

jim_carignan Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 Massachusetts

My Cousin just came to visit from Bucksport, ME and brought all 3 beers with him.

I just tried these two beers:
    Traditional Monastery Ale - An Amber Belgian style single, flavored with orange, coriander and juniper...Brewers' favorite!

Our Original "Whoopie Pie" Robust Chocolate Porter - A dark, full bodied, bittersweet chocolate porter...We hope it will soon be as famous as our Whoopie Pies!

I greatly enjoyed the amber and the porter and the third bottle is sitting on the counter in the queue.
    St. Francis Brown Ale - An English style brown hopped with distinctively American hops.

17. AdamsDTD

Anyone had a chance to try all three? I've had the Monastery Ale and Whoopie Pie Porter, and have a bottle of the Brown in my fridge. I was impressed with the Monastery Ale, but not sure what to think about the Whoopie Pie. It was good, but I thought it had a certain "tang" to it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was infected, but couldn't place the flavor I was getting. It wasn't really off-putting, but I wasn't expecting it from a robust porter. Anyone else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.