Rushing Duck (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by M-Fox24, Jan 10, 2019.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (949) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

2. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (488) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Officially watching this thread in hopes of a BA BW release. God help me.

3. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (96) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

What’s BW?

4. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Barley Wine is life, of course...

5. Mrstiffington

Trader

I thought of that, but was wondering if it was the initials of a beer I wasn’t aware of.

6. M-Fox24

Trader

7. M-Fox24

Trader

8. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (151) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

I went to RD for the first time since Duck In first opened, and I have to say that the new venue is fantastic. We spent almost the entire day there, and had a great time. The food truck is great. The venue has a lot of space especially with the weather vetting nicer, and they have a lot of great beers (20!) on tap. RD seems like an older brewery that gets lost among they hype breweries like Equilibrium and Hudson Valley Brewery, but they're absolutely worth the visit.

FezWad, Rocktire, SammyJaxxxx and 4 others like this.
  9. Mrstiffington

Trader

They may get lost among the hype of other breweries but I think they’re doing more than fine that way. I’ve been visiting them since they opened and it’s always been quality brews and nice people. I think they have a very loyal following and will be around for a long time. No lines needed.

10. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (373) Jul 7, 2010 New York

Always a great place. Got even better when they added the extra space and the awesome food truck. Always offering up an eclectic range of styles, too. And it's amazing how great the staff/bartenders are at handling a crowd -- hardly any wait time for a beer even when it's swamped in there, and they're always nice. Zero pretension.

Mrstiffington and Rocktire like this.
  11. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,186) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I wish they distributed to LI. I miss getting their cans. Never had a bad beer from these guys.

12. M-Fox24

Trader

13. Mrstiffington

Trader

Damn, wouldn’t you know it! My family that still lives in that area is coming down here to visit instead of vice versa that day. Oh well. Can’t believe it’s been seven years! They started strong right out of the gate. Love that place and their beer.

FezWad and MacMalt like this.
  14. M-Fox24

Trader

Interested to see what funky goodness they have in store this year via wild, stout, preferential format + new R&D might be at play

Mrstiffington and MacMalt like this.
  15. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,554) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Recently, I asked one of the servers at RD why they aren't canning like they used to, except for crowlers. The answer I was given had to do with labels and the size of the can. That didn't make sense to me. Almost every brewery cans beer now - even some that shouldn't. There must be another explanation. Maybe they weren't selling enough at the brewery and have problems distributing cans even locally. It would be nice to buy cans of War Elephant or the RD R&D beers again. Anyone have the scoop on this?

Mineo and Beer_Economicus like this.
  16. Mrstiffington

Trader

You know, I was wondering the same thing. I haven’t been able to get up there often but just following IG I could see they weren’t putting out much in cans. Weird.

Xerlic and MacMalt like this.
  17. FezWad

FezWad Initiate (16) Jun 19, 2019 New Jersey
    Trader

Rushing Duck is a go to for me whenever I'm in the area. I always noticed their canning was inconsistent but they're one of the breweries I get a growler at 90% of the time when I visit.

Looking forward to the 7th anniversary coming up!

18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,647) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I wasn't able to get to the brewery yesterday, but did manage to snag a crowler of The Wanda Project in Monticello. What a delightful beer- like a hopped up saison, with delicate floral and tropical fruit qualities, and just the right amount of funk; probably the best saison/wild ale I've had from RD.

19. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (149) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Not only do they not put much of anything in cans anymore, they don't send many kegs up to the Capital Region anymore either. Truly a bummer because I love these guys.

20. M-Fox24

Trader

21. Beer_Economicus

Trader

That would be interesting to try.

22. FezWad

FezWad Initiate (16) Jun 19, 2019 New Jersey
    Trader

The 7th anniversary party was a good time. Really enjoyed the beers and food!

23. Mrstiffington

Trader

Got to stop back at RD for the first time in a while yesterday after apple picking. Did a bunch of 4 oz tasters since there were a lot I haven’t had. Great stuff as always. Although that 16% IPA is boozy, it was still very hoppy and delicious! The maple/honey blended ale was great as well.

tzieser and Rocktire like this.
  24. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (151) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Looks like the can drought is over. We're going to the harvest fest at long lot this weekend, so I think I'll have to stop by RD and pick up some war elephant.