Russian River (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by jakecattleco, Jan 1, 2020.

1. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,048) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

All things Russian River for calendar year 2020.

Hell, bottled PtY is enough reason for a new thread, regardless of a new year! Personally, fingers crossed it's clear with hyper dry finish.

Thenomad512 and fegelFatso like this.
  2. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (457) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Bottled PtY and nothing else.

m34josh and fegelFatso like this.
  3. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (81) Feb 3, 2019 California

I am still stunned that PtE sits on the shelves for as long as it does. Goes to show how great the beer is that sits next to it.

Nonetheless, picked up 4 bottles of PtE a couple days ago and all I can say is that this beer just does not change and enjoy drinking it just as much now as i did many years ago when I had my first bottle. There is alot to be said for consistency and unwavering commitment to quality.

4. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,165) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Glad we've got a source locally to me waaaay up north now. Pliny on tap is a lovely option and the bottles of blind pig are somewhere in the middle of my happy place.
    Now I start praying that we get a PtY keg up here since there's no way I'll be able to get down there again this year

JayORear likes this.
  5. RMW66

RMW66 Zealot (509) Sep 18, 2016 Australia
    Society

Travelled to RR to try PtY two years ago and it was extraordinary (still my only 5/5 in over 500 beers scored). The decision to allow purchase of bottles to take away is great - I would have loved to take a couple back to Australia to share with good friends. I live in hope we may see RR beers in Australia at some point, but recognize the issues with great IPA's being sent by container when they are best enjoyed fresh. Still, I live in hope!

cgwami and kbenson like this.
  6. kbenson

kbenson Initiate (119) Aug 15, 2012 Texas

This is a bit of a negative review but over the holidays I was in Nor Cal and visited the new Windsor location. It was too late in the evening to go on the tour but I will say in general I was underwhelmed. The place feels like a beer tourist trap. The design and decor is all very uninspired. And the place is huge. Their gift shop alone is bigger than many local breweries. It just didn't feel very "craft" to me any more. The food was just OK too. The beer, of course, remains excellent. On future trips, I'm going to stick to the original location for my visits....

On PTY, I haven't had it in a few years, but it's always been my favorite beer. Hopefully they continue to be able to brew it successfully at a larger scale. While making it more available may hurt the beer's mystique, I also would have loved to take some bottles home with me. Having said that, I can only imagine what a disaster lining up to buy these bottles might become...

7. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (449) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

My only complaint is how loud it is in there. Did you notice that? Seems like a design flaw in the building. The echo effect gets so out of control you can’t even hear the person you’re talking to who’s right in front of you haha.

kbenson likes this.
  8. walterfredo

walterfredo Initiate (191) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Have to say I pretty much agree. And I thought the food was less than mediocre at a very above mediocre price. Not my thing at all.

kbenson likes this.
  9. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (853) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

This is a problem in most of the tasting rooms I’ve been in.

NWH83 likes this.
  10. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (449) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

Yeah but this is on a whole other level.

Doma and kbenson like this.
  11. kbenson

kbenson Initiate (119) Aug 15, 2012 Texas

Many tasting rooms are built with an industrial vibe, with a lot of concrete and metal that is probably terrible for acoustics. I can handle that if the vibe is cool. But RR left me cold generally, which pains me to write.

Doma likes this.
  12. FrogOut69

Trader

Windsor is very sterile. You can feel how it was planned and built - no warmth or organic feeling.

reefer_bob and Doma like this.
  13. Doma

Doma Initiate (36) May 19, 2019 California

Yeah, change the environment: a) look for different locations, b) drink more beers at home.

14. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (163) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

Im still waiting for Procrastination to drop...

15. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Devotee (425) May 2, 2016 California
    Society Trader

Should be stopping by presidents day weekend, hopefully the bottles last a week after the tapping.

16. dcgunman

Trader

I’m thinking of flying up for this years release.

17. JBogan

JBogan Champion (837) Jul 15, 2007 California

I bet that's going to be a killer beer. They've been working on that one for a looooooooong time. :wink:

Brent212 likes this.
  18. FrogOut69

Trader

These are the beer equivalent to "See you next year!"

That too.

#18 FrogOut69, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  19. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (919) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

"Free beer tomorrow."

FrogOut69 likes this.
  20. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,517) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Different strokes I guess. I didn't mind the new space, though I agree that the old space is homier and more relaxed. The main thing I did like about the new location is that it IS so large. I doubt I'll ever be there for anything other than Younger days, and for the release event I thought it was perfect. I waited less than an hour to get in on the first day of the release last year, which was a far cry from the 4 hours plus it took to get into the old space in prior years.

The food we ordered was fine as well I thought. Yes, it was a tad spendy, but for the wine country, not inordinately so. I had a great time there last year.

21. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Drinking fresh blind pig bottle that I grabbed 4 hours north of the main brewery and really loving the industrial scale of the windsor facility. For all the love Pliny gets, blind pig is their best beer to me and one of the greatest wc ipas. The only thing that gives an edge to some of the newer entrants from socal is the price (ends up hitting at about 6.50 a pint in to go form where I can get bottles). Hopefully we'll see a switch to cans and a slight decrease in cost to consumer as their new distribution plan unfolds.
    As far as the aesthetic of the new location, I don't find it substantially different from the original location other than that it is often not crowded. I don't particularly care for the aesthetic sensibilities of that region of the state in general and I see the windsor spot fitting well into that. A sort of 'working ranch' vibe but interpreted by folks whose experience of 'ranches' tends to be large estate wineries and high end horse facilities.
    The beer is still fabulous and that giant barn of a building makes it more accessible.
    As to the food, I've only eaten there once and it was fine but I did see the funniest little toothpick sliders there once, they couldn't have been bigger than a half dollar and came an order of three. I'd put the over/under at about $15...

dukeandduke, NWH83, bret27 and 3 others like this.
  22. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Nailed it! And I say that as someone raised on a cattle ranch in the Midwest, and now married to an equine vet in CA.

23. FrogOut69

Trader

Pretty much everyone agrees - not a hot take.

24. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (276) Oct 20, 2006 California

It was kinda meh when they finally made it.

25. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

haha well I never hear of anyone stoked to finally try blind pig
    Also, the ratings on this site have pliny ahead by a hair, although both are rated top notch

Thenomad512 likes this.
  26. dcgunman

Trader

Fresh Pig is the best.

27. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (163) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

For me, ROW 2 HILL 56 is the best beer they brew. Top 3 beer ever for me.

28. bret27

bret27 Zealot (542) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

2 quick points:
    1) I’m pretty sure pty will sell out in a day. I can’t imagine a situation where the bottles last a week in the taproom (though I’d like to)
    2) at least one upside of the Windsor location. I could imagine myself waiting in line there, whereas not so much on the street in downtown Santa Rosa.

lucius10 likes this.
  29. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Guess it all depends on how much they bottle, but with 2pp daily limit (and I'd almost bet on daily total bottle allocations) my guess is there're bottles available each day to roughly mid-late afternoon.

Rustytacos likes this.
  30. bret27

Trader

I’ll admit I don’t know the specifics on the #’s. But when vinnies blog says this:
    “A study which determined that the two-week release saw visitors from 42 states and 14 countries and contributed $4.16M to the local economy”
    And people are talking about camping out. it leads me to believe it’s going to go fast. It does say “2 week release” though.
    (hopefully you’re right and I’m wrong)

31. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

It seems like there was a lot more Pty brewed last year then ever before. And I don't even think they had Windsor running at full speed then. I'd trust RR to project production and demand as much as any brewery I can think of

lucius10 likes this.
  32. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (157) Jun 23, 2013 California

I don’t... Pliny > Pig!

33. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (178) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

I don’t think people are understanding how this will work with pty. It states that they will be handing out wristbands to buy bottles and pty on draft, you won’t be able to buy bottles without the wristband. They want people to experience RR , not just going to buy bottles. So based off that they will probably have enough bottles for everyone who gets a wristband for that day and every subsequent day that they offer pty. By the looks of it if you show up you should be able to grab bottles, it’s the waiting for it that’s going to be a PITA.

redeemer, lucius10, cgwami and 4 others like this.
  34. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Devotee (425) May 2, 2016 California
    Society Trader

I recall reading the bottles weren't available to go from the gift shop and were only available to persons who dined in.

35. bret27

Trader

Yes. I’ve never been to the Windsor location so don’t really know the set up.
    It would seem odd to have to dine in to buy bottles to-go though.

36. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

My guess is that you are required to get a wrist band, and that wrist band allows x number of pours and 2 bottles. Not that you have to dine in but that there isn't a separate avenue to buy the bottles outside the main line for pours

37. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (178) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Exactly this.

38. BierDawg

BierDawg Initiate (53) Jul 31, 2014 Texas

Are there any days better than others to get in line at Santa Rosa? Planning to make the trip this year. My guess is that weekdays might be a bit less crazy than the weekend. Thanks.

39. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (98) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Trader

Weekday for sure and go at an off hour (either early afternoon or late at night)

40. dcgunman

Trader

My 2nd time to Santa Rosa RRBC was on a Monday. We flew to SFO, rented a car and drove to the brewery. Got there an hour and half before they opened. Ate breakfast around the corner and got in line 20 minutes before they opened. We were 5th and 6th in line when the doors opened at 11am. We left to go aback to SFO 2 hours later and the place was packed with people in line 20-30 deep.

dukeandduke likes this.