Russian River (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by jakecattleco, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fegelFatso

fegelFatso Initiate (177) Jun 23, 2013 California

And then deleted comments that complained about it.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  2. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,394) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I also felt obligated to grab some compunction.
    The Robert and Jannemie were both only about $5 each so I got those two. Also solid Saisons.

fegelFatso and Djwildefire like this.
  3. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (306) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Hey folks, visiting here from the Great Lakes forum. I'll be out in Santa Rosa in a couple weeks and was wondering what's going on with Russian river with COVID restrictions. I've never been to Russian River before but was hoping to at least be able to pick up some bottles to go. If we could sit and have a beer or two, even better.

Anyone have an idea for what to expect?

4. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (678) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

• Santa Rosa Brewpub: OPEN for outdoor dining and takeout as of July 13th: M-Th 11AM-9PM, F/S/S 11AM-10PM (last call for food orders 30 mins before closing) Santa Rosa Pub Menu
    • Windsor Brewpub: OPEN for takeout ONLY Monday-Thursdays 3PM-8PM, F/S/S 11AM-8PM (last call for food orders 30 mins before closing) Windsor Pub Menu
    • Windsor Gift Shop: 11AM-7PM Daily

Edit: I saw pictures late last week of ppl sitting at tables under tents outside.

Edit2: I very much highly recommend getting the pliny bites

BartS and HawksBeerFan like this.
  5. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (930) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

If you have the time check out both locations. 15-20 minutes apart from each other. It just isn't the same pre Covid19. Enjoy. Keep an eye open for Pliny 4 President.

HawksBeerFan likes this.
  6. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (306) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Thanks to both you and @dcgunman for the quick responses!

Sorry if this overkill, but generally can I get packs of Pliny and other beers to go? I've love to bring some back with me.

7. SDReaper

Trader

They have been selling cases (12pk of bottles). As gunman said above, if you see pliny 4 president on the board, treat yourself to a pint and then get a pint of blind pig (my personal favorite).

QuakeAttack and HawksBeerFan like this.
  8. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (226) May 2, 2016 California
    Trader

I would've said the wings, they bake them first before frying. Some of my faves

9. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,649) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

You can generally get all of their beers in packaged form.from singles up to cases (some stuff used to be limited to 12/person, not sure if that's still the case)

HawksBeerFan likes this.
  10. Antwan83

Antwan83 Initiate (13) Feb 24, 2020 California

I'd skip the brewpub and go straight to the Windsor location. A lot better of a scenery with the same beers/food/gift shop.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  11. SDReaper

Trader

Their website says that Windsor is for takeaway only. Has this changed?

12. Antwan83

Antwan83 Initiate (13) Feb 24, 2020 California

Unless things have changed in the past couple weeks when I visited.

13. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,430) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Thought Windsor had different menu than the Santa Rosa pub (e.g. no Pliny Bites etc.)?

14. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (147) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Trader

it does. I like the food at the pub a lot more.
    But overall I definitely prefer the Windsor location, if only because I've never seen it packed like the pub almost always is when I'm there

15. Effinwill

Effinwill Initiate (79) Dec 2, 2016 California

Ahh, good times. I’ll take a pint of Pliny with some vaccine on the side

distantmantra likes this.
  16. SDReaper

Trader

17. dcgunman

Trader

18. SDReaper

Trader

I think it was 2 weekends ago. They seem to be on an every-other-weekend scheduled for shipping. Not sure if the cans have been in stock locally every day.

19. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,978) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I hope Hopfather makes it to cans.

riko and jakecattleco like this.
  20. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,394) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

I checked my rating for Hopfather. Very solid, the only concerning thing was my rating was from its debut at the Bistro ipa fest In Hayward in ‘09.
    I feel old now. :grimacing:

jakecattleco likes this.
  21. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,149) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Is Pliny for President available in stores in LA area?

22. SDReaper

Trader

No. P4P is only shipped out from RR to individuals. (this is based on it not appearing in stores in SD, I know...not LA, but it is likely the same)

jrnyc likes this.
  23. thuey

thuey Disciple (330) Nov 13, 2015 California

As @SDReaper mentioned, Russian River cans are only purchaseable via Russian River themselves. They don't see distribution.

jrnyc likes this.
  24. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,149) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Thanks guys!

25. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Initiate (175) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Trader

They do distribute kegs of it so you might be able to find crowlers.

26. riko

riko Initiate (110) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

I ordered some more P4P last Friday and when it arrived on Tuesday, I was surprised to see it had been canned four weeks earlier. My previous orders had been canned one or two days before they arrived, so I guess I was expecting fresh stock again this time.

Have others gotten older cans/bottles of their hoppy beers in online orders?

27. thuey

I went there for in-person pickup a couple weeks back and was also surprised to see the canning was in early August, so a month old.

Maybe they just haven't been re-brewing P4P

riko likes this.
  28. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (146) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

Today’s Instagram post noted that today’s drop includes freshly canned P4P.

jakecattleco, thuey and Hopelessly0 like this.
  29. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Super glad I hopped on this one. Is the "flash kilned" citra beer the fresh hop beer people mentioned or are they making a true wet hop beer also?

30. StonedRaider

StonedRaider Initiate (146) Oct 25, 2007 California
    Trader

Sounds like there will be a wet hopped beer named Zeus that should be released next week.

31. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Well I'm hoping to have a reason to be passing through the area next week so.hopefully I'll be able to make a stop to grab that. I'm pretty stoked for this box

Is the citra flash mob basically a "fresh hop" beer in the vein of celebration basically? First dried citra hops of the year type of thing?

32. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Got my order today, the Pliny for prez is canned 8/19 so still a month old which is less than perfect but its a great beer. Fruitier aroma than regular Pliny but still has that sharp bitterness. Excited to try the citra flash mob and the winemakers beer

mogulskier, hbbeeremptor and lucius10 like this.
  33. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Takes a lot of good beer... is a nice and interesting beer. Definitely has the refreshing character down and definitely has a light vinuous touch. Like a real dry white wine.

Citra flash mob was a bit of a let down on the first can. A nice enough.beer for sure just was hoping for some real poppin hop notes that i didn't find. Hoping I enjoy the other cans more

mogulskier likes this.
  34. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (119) Feb 3, 2019 California

As much as I liked "Pliny for President 2020", I picked up 4 bottles of the "Elder" and after having one, it's back to the OG for me.

IMO, Pliny the Elder is better then Pliny for President 2020.

redeemer, JayORear, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  35. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I would not fight you on that. Blind pig is better than both

36. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,430) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

I really think that's a conditional discussion. Hyper-fresh, less than 7-10 days from packaging, I'll take the Plinys (either one). More than 14 days from packaging I'm absolutely in agreement. And more than 30 days I think BP really excels. These are obviously for my palate and preferences. TETO

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  37. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

That is a good point, I also think it gets at the difference between single and double IPA. My sweet spot for hoppy beers tends to be right around 6.5-7% abv, Pliny is a standout among the higher abv ipas for sure but I still prefer the same craftsman's take on a lower abv beer

Plague, riots, fires, election, deciding exactly which world class IPA from a world class local brewer I'd like delivered directly to my.door, will 2020 never relent!?!

grilledsquid and jakecattleco like this.
  38. bring

bring Initiate (87) Aug 17, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

Did a blind side by side tasting of Elder and P4P a couple months ago. Had a slight preference for P4P, but hard to go wrong either way. Was happy to be able to correctly identify which was which, at least.

I find Pig more variable (or at least bottles of Pig hit my taste buds with more variation). Can’t really get on board with it being superior to Pliny.

39. dcgunman

Trader

My “cellared” Pliny bottle just turned 10 years on Wednesday. Bottled on 09-23-10. Some of you here knows the story on this bottle. No I did not purposely keep this bottle for 10 years. I’m holding out opening this bottle till I get a P4P can(s). I want to open and compare :rofl: alongside a P4P can, fresh Pliny and maybe a fresh BP bottle. I was hoping for a bottle sharing this year so those interest would partake. But that ain’t happening. I’m hoping RRBC will release their wet hop in cans soon so I could place a order for shipping. Should be soon. To be continued.
    FYI, I did ask the guys at Beer Paper LA if they’d like to partake. I guess their to busy or to chicken. :nauseated_face:

JayORear, Frosty11161 and Hopelessly0 like this.
  40. thuey

I'll be the first to say that P4P, like PtE, does not age well.

I bought a 4 pack that was 2-3 weeks old and it tasted fine that first couple of days. But I waited another couple weeks to drink can #3, I thought it was pretty disgusting. It was like bitter water. Very little actual flavor of the hops, only the bitterness remained - and in spades.

To make sure it wasn't just me, I opened can #4 a few days later and let my wife try it first. She also thought it was gross, despite loving it the first week. I ended up drainpouring half of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.