Russian River (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by jakecattleco, Jan 1, 2020.

1. bret27

bret27 Zealot (551) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Finally having no friends works to my favor.

Rzzzzz, m34josh and Rustytacos like this.
  2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,518) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

That worked in our favor last year. It was just my wife and I, and as luck would have it there were two open spots at the bar. We were able to get a couple folks to move down a bit, and so we were able to get in much quicker than if we had to wait for a table.

JasonJYoung, KevSal and Rustytacos like this.
  3. Snrubnivek

Snrubnivek Initiate (86) Apr 16, 2016 California
    Trader

Incorrect at Santa Rosa. Was there on Friday. Wife held place in line. Bottle line had 2 people in it. Loaded up 2 boxes, put them in the car so I didn't have to at 10pm after 3 PtY pours + others. Back in line in 20 min. Made picking up the to go beer I wanted super easy.

Rustytacos likes this.
  4. hambone

hambone Initiate (173) Apr 26, 2014 California
    Trader

Thanks for clarifying! There's always been a to-go line was hoping the same this year. Cheers

Snrubnivek likes this.
  5. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (182) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Sorry let me clarify about the line situation, just for pty there’s only one line, but yes for everything else. You can go straight up to the to-go line. In Windsor there’s a bottle/gift shop where you can buy everything they have to go and a tasting room on the other side where you enter the restaurant. You can take advantage of both as long as you have someone watching you spot in line.

KevSal and Snrubnivek like this.
  6. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yes. Love the tasting room arrangement. Last year there was no one over there, even though they had practically everything on tap that was also in the restaurant, other than younger. My wonderful wife encouraged me to go over there while she held my place in line (needless to say, I didn't require a great deal of encouragement).

7. bret27

Trader

Already done. Very time efficient today. Got here at 9:30. Done by 12:15. Burger, beer, gift shop, porta potty.

8. hambone

hambone Initiate (173) Apr 26, 2014 California
    Trader

Yeah I called to confirm, PtY is one line, ARGH. Cheers and enjoy

9. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,053) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Which location, Windsor?

10. iamthecarlos

iamthecarlos Initiate (150) Jan 2, 2015 California
    Trader

I knew the weekdays would be sooooooo much more chill.

Rustytacos likes this.
  11. bret27

Trader

Yes. Windsor.

12. Rustytacos

Trader

They served the food fast when I was there, same deal with you? Sounds like a successful day!

13. bret27

Trader

Yes. Extremely fast service. bartender did mention that pizza’s do slow down the line because there’s limited oven space. One possible advantage of Windsor.

14. thuey

thuey Aspirant (291) Nov 13, 2015 California

No. A few years ago they were charging $7 for 7oz, but now they dropped it to 6oz, as you said. The price has crept up to $9 though.

KevSal likes this.
  15. Rustytacos

Trader

City beer just had pty for $9 for 10oz but already tapped out. No limits on pours, got 2 myself .

KevSal and Brent212 like this.
  16. thuey

thuey Aspirant (291) Nov 13, 2015 California

And for Oakland folk, Beer Rev has it at 5pm today at the same $9/10oz. Enjoy!

KevSal and Rustytacos like this.
  17. Pstone530

Pstone530 Initiate (65) Mar 15, 2018 California
    Trader

My girlfriend and I made the trip out Monday monday to Windsor. Got in line at about 10:30 and waited until they let in the second wave at about 2pm. We enjoyed our full three hour allottment with various plates of food, a full flight of all the sours, 3 glasses each of younger, and a few other hoppy offerings for good measure.
    We got in for a guided tour around 5 which while a batch of Elder was being brewed which was interesting to see. Got to see the new coolship and the huge barrel room. Ended up making friends with a nice couple who ended up sharing a plethora of amazing Jester King sours later with us at the hotel we just so happened to both be staying at just a mile down the road.
    I took home a mix six pack of sours, a four pack of row 2, hill 56 which was tasting awesome, and a few four packs of mind circus, their hazy, which reminded me of the few times i've tried fresh heady topper.
    It was an awesome event put on by a world class brewery.

Cheers!

18. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,036) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

went today, thankfully took all of @Rustytacos advice and made it a bit before 9, made it in the first wave. absolute blast! my wife was driving and had about a half pour of pty. didn’t think i could handle 6 pours of pty but i guess i can lol. new beatification is great as is the intinction merlot

[​IMG]

beautiful brewery!

19. tigerbeer90

tigerbeer90 Aspirant (232) Apr 27, 2012 South Carolina

FWIW went to Santa Rosa yesterday. Got in line @ 8:30 am and was drinking PtY @ 11:30 am. Wasn't as horrible as I had expected. Not sure if I'd do again, but glad to have my 2 bottles!

20. Hopelessly0

Hopelessly0 Initiate (189) May 13, 2019 California
    Trader

Anyone know how long the wait has been the last couple days at 6-6:30PM? I'm thinking of making a trip up after work, but don't wanna be in line for more than 2 hours.

Rustytacos, dcgunman and fegelFatso like this.
  21. lucius10

lucius10 Crusader (743) Aug 1, 2017 California
    Trader

I was there Thursday Morning and Thursday Evening at the Windsor Location. In the morning, I got there at 10 am...was in at 12 noon...left by 2 pm, full of food, Pliny, and other great beers and Pliny bottles of course!

Went back Thursday evening...I got there at 6:45pm...was inside my 8:30pm...rinse and repeat! Ha!

The staff works quickly and they are fairly efficient on how they worked everything. I am not sure how today(Friday) and the weekend is going to be, though. Going Midweek is probably the best bet...and dress warm. The only issue for everyone was how cold it was! Better to be too warm and take stuff off, than to be cold and shivering. Having a chair helps while waiting...

Rustytacos and Hopelessly0 like this.
  22. iamthecarlos

iamthecarlos Initiate (150) Jan 2, 2015 California
    Trader

Yeah, i'd be surprised if the long waits aren't back starting this PM and the rest of the weekend.

23. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (857) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Waiting to see reports for today and tomorrow. Anything over 3 hours I ain’t going to stand in line.

24. GreenandGold831

GreenandGold831 Initiate (20) Jan 26, 2015 California
    Trader

I'm heading up from Santa Cruz after work and hope to be there around 6-7pm and I'll give an update.

Rustytacos and dcgunman like this.
  25. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

None of my business of course (but I'm nosey), but why not just get some in Santa Cruz? The RR website listed Santa Cruz specifically as one of the towns that was going to get some PtY, so I would assume it's going to be available there.

On a Friday afternoon/evening, that has to be one nasty drive up to Santa Rosa/Windsor.

#225 John_M, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  26. GreenandGold831

Trader

I told my wife about it and she said let’s go. She wants to get out of town for a night and I’ve always wanted to go to a younger release we’ll see how it goes.

27. Rustytacos

Trader

28. robo55

robo55 Initiate (61) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Went to Santa Rosa today around 11am. The line was around the corner by a good amount. HARD PASS. Went inside and grabbed a couple bottles of PtE and went about my way. Meh.

raynmoon and fegelFatso like this.
  29. GreenandGold831

Trader

Got in line at 8pm and it’s about a two hour wait

30. GreenandGold831

Trader

There’s no line at Windsor from what the RR employee said right now.

#230 GreenandGold831, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  31. NWer

NWer Crusader (791) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

But the bottles.

32. jl0pes

jl0pes Initiate (53) Dec 16, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone currently at Windsor this chilly morning? If so, how's the line looking?

Asking for a friend...

33. RonChez

RonChez Initiate (25) Feb 4, 2020 California
    Trader

I'm here currently, got here at 8. Going to be around the 170th person let in.

34. GreenandGold831

Trader

Got to Santa Rosa at 8:30am and for I’m at 2:30pm.

fegelFatso likes this.
  35. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (726) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

I can't make Monk's this year, but I NEED to make this happen next year. I'll be on the lookout for the event. Only there once, but Monk's is great! I gotta try PtY.

Cheers

36. cdinardo21

cdinardo21 Initiate (41) Oct 29, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm with you - I can't make Monk's either - a Monday kills it for me - but I was planning to make the 5 hour drive and spend a weekend in Philly if it was on a Saturday.

You can keep an eye out on http://www.phillytapfinder.com - there are more places that generally get it than Monk's (I think Capone's gets it to), but so far, Monk's is the only one that has announced their event.

smutty33 likes this.
  37. MilwaukeeBoy

MilwaukeeBoy Initiate (49) Nov 23, 2017 California

Lines were still plenty long this weekend at both sites. Went for a tour at Windsor on Sunday at 10am which was well worth it and it included a good pour of PtY. Line was 3+ hours long. Stopped by the SR location around 8:30pm (they serve until 11:30pm where Windsor last call is 9:30pm). Line was still 2+ hours long. Fortunately I had plenty of PtY this week elsewhere but no luck for bottles. On the tour they claimed to have ended up with 500 bbls of PtY from an original starting quantity of 900. A 75 minute boil and dry hopping sucks up crap loads of beer. I believe the Windsor location used open fermenters. They did have 150 bbls of PtE fermenting while I was there. It goes through Thursday so probably much shorter lines after the holiday weekend.

pinballplayer likes this.
  38. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (857) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

We drove by the SR location yesterday just after 11am. Kept on going. Did not stop. Kept driving to Windsor location. Parked and walked to checkout the line situation. That was just after 1130am. The first wave was already inside. End of line was 6+ hours to get in. Checked out the store. Nothing interesting to purchase. The 2 can releases were sold out last week. So we did an in&out to In-N-Out for lunch in SR. Then stopped at Cooperage Brewing for some pours and more pours. My DD drove us back to south San Francisco where we polished off some outstanding mexican grub and more pours of Heady, Focal, Mt Nelson and a few more. All in all a very good trip. Flew back to lax this morning with a bunch of cans. :beers:

Dimidiata likes this.
  39. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I like the cut of your jib @dcgunman. Seems to me you have exactly the right attitude.

40. RichFinn47

RichFinn47 Initiate (21) Nov 29, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Was going to go around 9a tomorrow, trying for bottles. Any sense as to if SR or Windsor will be less crazy?