Release Russian River - Pliny The Younger (2014)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Itoclown

Itoclown Aspirant (225) Jun 19, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Did it two years ago on a weekday... Was in line a half hour before opening. There were maybe 7 people in front of us. Doing it again this year. Hoping for the same.

Brewster40 and Alron like this.
  2. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn

Sorry, missed the part about making it a weekend trip. You'll enjoy plenty of other good beers here. For the PtY, keep checking Philly Tap Finder . com, that's probably you best source of where/when it will be available. For me it's just not worth it.

On a side note, I can't believe you compared the trip down I-95 to a trip to northern VT! I'll do anything to avoid that drive.

Roguer likes this.
  3. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (448) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

It's quite feasible. If you show up at Capone's or Monk's, make sure to get there at the ass-crack of dawn, and still be prepared to stand in line and elbow bearded men out of the way to score a pour. Most other places in and around the the city that have it will post on Facebook and tweet it out ahead of time; or, keep an eye on www.phillytapfinder.com, which will post all of the Younger events. It's honestly hit or miss whether places will be crowded. I've been to places where there is no line and it lasts several hours; I've been to others where they hand out tickets ahead of time and I missed out. I've never gone anywhere that is notorious for huge crowds and a free-for-all to get a pour, and never will.

Also, I have a suspicion that if you went to a place with a huge-ass line and offered the people at the front a growler of Everett for their spot in line, you'd get it.

4. life_is_beautiful

life_is_beautiful Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2013 Pennsylvania

The releases in Philly will be over the course of a week. Twitter is a great source for catching a tapping on the fly, but if you're driving down, it's obviously best to do a planned event. Phillytapfinder is great and Here was one of the best trackers from last year: http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2013/02/26/the-2013-pliny-the-younger-calendar-for-philadelphia/

If you're coming for the trip, I'd just recommend coming for Mad Monk's day at Monk's Cafe. PtY and PtE should be on tap, plus some other amazing beers and all the proceeds go to charity...here was last year's list:
    1.Russian River Pliny the Younger
    2.Russian River Pliny the Elder
    3.Russian River Blind Pig
    4.Russian River Damnation
    5.Russian River Consecration
    6.Russian River Sanctification
    7.Russian River Supplication
    8.Lost Abbey Angel’s Share
    9.De Dolle Brouwers Dulle Teve
    10.De Dolle Brouwers Stille Nacht
    11. De Struise Brouwers Single Black (2%abv)
    12.De Struise Brouwers Double Black (26%abv)

#44 life_is_beautiful, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    mendvicdog and Roguer like this.
  5. stealth

stealth Defender (607) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Thanks! much appreciated :)

6. skiofpinsk

skiofpinsk Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Over the past couple years that I started paying attention to the Younger release, there seems to be a dozen+ places within Philly and even in the suburbs that tap this over the course of a week or two. Some places make it a big event; others announce it last minute on social media or not at all.

I attended the Monks release a couple years ago and had a really great time. I’m not sure about last year since I didn’t have the time to take the day off but I am definitely considering it this year. Pours are pretty pricey but it all goes towards charity. Philly Beer Scene also had 4 really good raffles that they held over the course of the day when I went.

7. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Hopefully this year is the year for me to do a trip trip to Philly. Subscribed to tweets from a few places and banking on going!

8. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,022) May 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

"Any gouge". This is a very fitting malapropism.

Providence likes this.
  9. skiofpinsk

skiofpinsk Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I wanted to add that when I went (and it worked out well so I'd imagine they kept with it) to Monks a couple years ago they asked people to have their cash ready for a pour of Younger before they got inside and they handed out glasses as you came in. Crowded yes but at least you didn’t get inside and then have to wait at the bar for what you came for.

10. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,525) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Unintended humorous double meaning, but not an incorrect usage. "Gouge" is often used informally as access to knowledge usually hidden or at least restricted, most commonly seen as "exam gouge." Common to many communities.

Great links and advice. Mad Monk's Day looks amazing. Probably be insanely packed. I'll keep an eye on PhillyTapFinder.

Oh, it's a terrible and mind-numbing drive, and I absolutely hate taking I-95 anywhere in the direction of NY. Vermont is definitely a more relaxing and scenic route. Speaking of which, I really should take a trip up there again soon.

11. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,022) May 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Interesting. I assumed you meant "gauge" as in an appraisal or estimate based upon the past. I can't find any reference to the "cabalistic" usage "access to hidden knowledge." The Google does not know of this!

But I digress ...

12. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

are you going in February? If so I may be interested in going with ya.

13. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,525) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Ahh, I see. No, not gauge, but gouge. If you Google "Exam gouge," you'll see examples across multiple fields. It's certainly an informality, though, even if it is derived from the more physical sense of the word (digging deep for knowledge, instead of digging into a physical substance).

Funny enough, also based on my profession, when you mentioned "gauge," I immediately thought of a physical object used to display measured parameters, vice the verb usage. :D

Cheers!

Kurmaraja likes this.
  14. Itoclown

Beer Trader

Yessir. On the 13th. You gonna be around there?

15. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

I wanted to go this year, are you flying and where/how long are you staying?

16. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (238) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Could be?

Providence likes this.
  17. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (549) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Tustin brewing company gets it and they get a few kegs. Serves around 300 people. Plus, they have a full russian river tap take over. Also, all the Selma's get it, crow bar and haven.

The only place that serves a full glass is hollingshead but you gotta get there in the am and wait a few hours in line.

18. jdaddy

jdaddy Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

Can you tell us how you really feel? I mean yeah, the dude has to brag he knows his "top secret Younger spot" but first you shit all over people waiting in line for 8 hours, then out of the other side of your mouth call this guy out for not having to wait. Jeez.

19. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Aspirant (214) Jul 11, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

For those wanting to know where to find it: search the regional forums for last year's pliny the younger topics and you will probably find most locations that served it.

20. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (11,912) Mar 18, 2010 California

21. the_trystero

the_trystero Disciple (359) Mar 19, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Ah, dude, never. Last time I got Younger, 2012, it was waiting for me on my dinner table when I arrived at TDA, and it only took me 3 minutes to get my second one that night.

22. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

Dude, don't tell anyone about that Chili's. There will be a line.

needMIbeer, El_Jefe, Domingo and 2 others like this.
  23. afsdan

afsdan Defender (642) Dec 17, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I guess "no lines" was a bit of an exaggeration. the beer goes on the restaurant's tap list like any other brew, and within a few hours some people get wind of it and a line will form.

not a top secret location.

24. VDODSON

VDODSON Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 North Dakota

You homebrew because your able to make Pliny The Younger at home??

25. MCain04

MCain04 Zealot (585) Jan 3, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Monk's Cafe got a sixtel last year. They gouged the hell out of it, sold 4oz pours for $10. And it was a 3 hr wait in line.

26. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Crusader (736) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Nice spin attempt. You should be a politician.

27. rifle3

rifle3 Initiate (12) Jul 20, 2008 Michigan

See you there.

28. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Show me where I shit all over people that are waiting in line for eight hours and then maybe I'll consider taking what you just wrote seriously.

I said that I wouldn't wait that long, I never commented on any one who would.

the_trystero and otispdriftwood like this.
  29. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Unless you flew into Santa Rosa itself, if you arrived at Oakland or SFO during the week at 4:00, you wouldn't get there until 6:00 or later. Traffic going north at that time is a dirty snatch. I know this from daily experience. Thursdays would take even longer.

30. Ysgard

Ysgard Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2008 Virginia

I'm flying in to spend a week with a friend about 2 hours south. We will probably make a day and hit RR, Bear Republic, and Lagunitas. Honestly, I'll be happy if I get to try PtY, but not heartbroken if I have to settle for grabbing bottles and just enjoying myself.

Knee_Deep_Fan likes this.
  31. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Crusader (736) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This guy is the exception, not the rule. Hopefully.
    Did you happen to see his response to my "why on earth did you post this"? Tried to spin it.

32. Itoclown

Beer Trader

I'll be flying in Wednesday evening the leavin Sunday. Staying at a buddy's from college. Only hittin RRBC that Thursday then sticking to SF and Mill Valley/ Sausalito area. Quick weekend.

33. T_Hass

T_Hass Zealot (554) Nov 21, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Thanks for the info.

34. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,215) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

I homebrew to avoid this insanity and make good beer that I don't have to jump through hoops to drink. For the record, I'm not a huge triple IPA fan, so I haven't tried to make this at home.

HRamz3 likes this.
  35. VDODSON

VDODSON Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 North Dakota

So you don't purchase store bought beer anymore, and your homebrews rival those in the top 5?

36. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,215) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

WTF is your problem, man? Please show me where I said either of those things?

I purchase beer in stores and my homebrews are perfectly mediocre. Since you clearly are having an issue parsing meaning from simple, straightforward statements, let me make it perfectly clear:

I do not put myself through hell to drink beer when I can easily either buy beer in a store or brew my own that satisfies my desires.

People who jump on this hype train get whatever they bring upon themselves.

Is that clear enough?

#76 charlzm, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  37. the_trystero

the_trystero Disciple (359) Mar 19, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Chasing the dragon, man, chasing the dragon. I'll chase the dragon for the 4 minutes or so that Providence already mentioned but, yeah, no one beer in the world is worth more than 30 minutes of my time, and that includes PtY.

VonZipper, HRamz3 and charlzm like this.
  38. laurastradford

laurastradford Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 New Jersey

I did it last year on a Saturday and waited 5 hours. Got in line at 7:45 got into the brewpub around 1. I went with friends I hadn't seen in months and had a great time catching up and hanging out. Going the opening Friday this year, we shall see how it goes.

39. PopnLoads

PopnLoads Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Falling Rock Taphouse had this in the last week of February when I visited last year. (Denver)

40. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Meyvn (1,171) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Do any of the Philly bars that are tapping Younger do ticketed events?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe