SA Pumpkinator Release

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Jack_Around, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

Solution: swallow a vial full of sparkles first... follow the act by taking a bow and saying "tadaaaaa!"

2. HopAG

HopAG Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

HEY BUDDY! Alex has already tried this masterful combination and he was on the floor with ecstasy!

3. jamescain

jamescain Meyvn (1,002) Jul 14, 2009 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

But you would have to like both of those beers to begin with and I don't. Pumpkinator I don't mind as much as Pumpking, which I pretty much despise. Although not as much as I do Creme Brulee

4. HopAG

Beer Trader

Welp... To enjoy the diabeetus I've heard that a little whiskey in it goes a long way.

5. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,573) Sep 2, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Vanilla vodka shot dropped in, delicious

HopAG likes this.
  6. Houston_E89

Houston_E89 Aspirant (263) Sep 10, 2012 Texas

Pumpkinator '12 aged quite nicely, Dunno if I'll even grab more than a bottle of 2013.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  7. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2012 Texas

To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of Pumpking. It did a good job of filling in the spices that dropped off in the aged Pumpkinator. I wouldn't have a Pumpking alone, ever.

8. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (3,808) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

So, you mean just two releases so far. Oh, and Pumpkin is horrible:wink: I don't know if I have ever had diacetyl and DMS so prevalent at the same time in one beer before. Let alone the out of whack and artificial candy corn flavor. Shudders.

CORKSCREWFISH and soultrain19 like this.
  9. Lutter

I did some research and the general consensus from homebrewers is they purposely allow diacetyl in Pumking to simulate a buttery crust of a pumpkin pie. Also: graham crackers in the brewing process.

10. champ103

Beer Trader

It does not taste like crust, it tastes like artificial buttered popcorn, candy corn, and cooked vegetables. People can say it is there on purpose all they want, it still a nasty mess :slight_smile: I don't think Pumpkinator in this form is the best out there (DR 9 is still sublime), but it is worlds better than almost anything Southern Tier.

jbeezification, TTUJohn and jl28r1 like this.
  11. UT-Alex

DMS is the cooked vegetable flavor, not diacetyl.

12. champ103

Beer Trader

I know, that is why I said it has both diacetyl and DMS.

13. Lutter

I think that grilled vegetable flavor would be great in a beer... especially if it had smoked meat flavor.

That or I'm just hungry for dinner.

14. UT-Alex

Whoops. You literally just said that. I thought you were specifically referring to diacetyl flavors only. Carry on...

15. champ103

Beer Trader

Ha, I hit post reply to you to fast, and didn't finish my thought...sorry.

UT-Alex likes this.
  16. Houston_E89

Houston_E89 Aspirant (263) Sep 10, 2012 Texas

I wasn't impressed by Pumking, Pumpkinator is still the king of Pumpkin Beers for me - I wanna try Warlock.

tx_beer_man and UHCougar12 like this.
  17. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

You need to find a bottle of Good Gourd. It takes a bit of work, but nothing impossible. :slight_smile:

champ103 likes this.
  18. Lutter

Or some family in Florida. It's abundant. That my favorite pumpkin beer!

Just wish it wasn't $12/bottle.

19. DanzBorin

I'm lucky to have good Florida connections who want TX beer.

20. Bluestar

Bluestar Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2012 Texas

I was in a tiny little liquor store on st. pete's beach in July, and found a lone bottle of Good Gourd in the back of the fridge.... bought it and took it home with me...

I asked the owner about it when I picked it up... he said the Cigar City guy came in once a week (and this was truth as they had Jai Alai there that was less than a week old according to the packaging date), and had told him "to keep it in there, it's still good and someone will want it".... it was a great pumpkin beer.... to be fair though, the fresh Jai Alai was one of the best things I've had in a long time....

I had a 2011 pumpkinator last week... I hadn't found the spices fell off too much at all... in fact , I found the beer had quite a nice balance, glad I have 2 more left :wink:.... i have a 2012 pumpkinator to crack in the fridge soon.... i'll report back later on that one....

can't wait to get more pumpkinator for 2013... it is by far my fav pumpkin beer...

also, for anyone interested... was at karbach on friday when krunkin' was rolled out... the reciepe has been changed from last year... a lot more pumpkin spices than i remember... i enjoyed it a lot more than the original.

UHCougar12 and mattchow like this.
  21. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 Texas

Pumpkinator is one of my favs too! I'll be buying a bunch if/when it makes it to Dallas.

You should try these if you haven't already: Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin, CCB Good Gourd, and Midnight Sun TREAT. And if you have a trading partner in the mid-Atlantic region, snag some Devious Imperial Pumpkin by Bethlehem Brew Works. That stuff's tasty.

22. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Texas

Huge pumkinator fan and even bigger pumpkin beer whore. I always appreciate a list of good pumpkin beer so thanks for that. On a side note, and I may be pumping myself up for nothing, but in addition to Warlock I'm really really REALLY looking forward to trying DEB Gourdzilla. Smoked pie pumpkins and sweet potatoes? yes please!

23. snargles

snargles Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Texas

anyone tried Warlock? I wonder how it stacks up against the 'nator. Did it make it down here in bottles? I'm getting trigger shy with So. Tier after Creme Brulee and Pumking, both those tasted like ales brewed for circus clowns, I kept expecting to find a toy inside the bottle.

24. kmello69

kmello69 Defender (618) Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Warlock is pretty decent, and not sickly sweet like some of their other beers. Its a bit too roasty right now, though, and that overwhelms the other flavors a little bit. I think if you sit it down for 6 months, it will smooth out a bit and be excellent. Even as it is I would definitely drink again, but its not as good as Pumpkinator.

HopAG likes this.
  25. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2006 Texas

I shamelessly like Pumking and Creme Brulee. I don't get why people hate on the sweetness of Creme Brulee...you know what you're getting into. It's a beer named after a dessert. Do you despise sweets in general? "Oh, I had to drainpour this milkshake. It was cloyingly sweet."

Anyway, I love Southern Tier, and I just need some Pumpkinator to compare. I've lived in TX for five years now and have never seen it. (disclaimer: I live in Laredo) We have been getting some SA special release love lately at our Spec's, so I am holding out hope.

Also, need to hit up my FL buddy for some Good Gourd.

rainerschuhsler and nathanmiller like this.
  26. mattisloco

mattisloco Devotee (413) Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Good Gourd is the shizzzzzzzz

Let me know if your Specs doesn't come through for you. I'll ship you some Pumpkinator for cost+shipping.

27. thewrongtone

Awesome, thanks!

28. UT-Alex

Good Gourd is damn good. I want to set up a small pumpkin tasting with that, Good Gourd Almighty (when it's released), Rumpkin, Bishop's Barrel 5, Schlafly Pumpkin, Pumpkinator and maybe a few others.

HopAG likes this.
  29. HopAG

Beer Trader

Hell yeah man!

30. miikezombie

miikezombie Aspirant (247) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

I've done this; garnished with a hollowed out Slim Jim straw.

mattisloco, DanzBorin and HopAG like this.
  31. DanzBorin

When you've had a better Creme Brulee beer you will hate the ST version.

Southern Start did a Creme Brulee Buried Hatchet and it was SO much better. :grinning:

HopAG likes this.
  32. Dicers

Subscriber Beer Trader

Just got me 5 bottles of the fly from a trader in MO it's delicious!

UT-Alex likes this.
  33. Lutter

If you mix 50% Pumpkinator and 50% Warlock... is that the equivalent of dividing by zero? :slight_smile:

TTUJohn and HopAG like this.
  34. Dicers

Subscriber Beer Trader

Is release 14th or 15th?

35. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Disciple (356) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

14th per email from SA

36. snargles

nah I love sweet, my favorite brews are usually fairly sweet, evreything to me just tasted like real phony extracts in those, especially brulee, I found pumking just bizarre, I admire the gusto, but if I had made that, I would have sold for half price as a failed experiment. Haha I would never drainpour a milkshake, drainpours are for sissies. If I pay good money for the thing, Ima drink it all whether I like it or not unless it's contaminated or something, or maybe a Leinenkugel shandy which I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.

37. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Defender (603) Dec 28, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Dumbest thing I've read in awhile. So you force yourself to drink stuff you don't like just cause you spent a few bucks on it? Glad I don't have money problems and if I don't like it, I'll drain it.

quietdomino and DanzBorin like this.
  38. miikezombie

miikezombie Aspirant (247) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

Might I interest you in half a case of Mama Mia It's Pizza Beer! It's nearly a year old, so I'm certain the tomato and basil has mellowed out a bit. Pairs well with Totino's Pizza Rolls and Tum's.

39. thewrongtone

I've only drained maybe six beers since I started drinking real beer ~10 years ago. Maybe I'm an optomist, but I can usually find a redeeming quality.

I drained Harpoon Grateful Harvest, Green Flash Friendship Brew, and a few gluten-free "beers."

snargles likes this.
  40. snargles

well it was mainly a joke, because some things truly are just too nasty to finish, but out of thousands I've had maybe 4 or five I couldn't finish. like wrongtone, I usually try to find some good in it if at all possible, it's more about getting the most out of it, and giving it a thorough assessment beyond just a sip or two, it has nothing to do with money problems (what a douchebag thing to say by the way) I just notice way too many reviews where people are eager to "drainpour" every mediocre brew for dramatic effect, when there are many as you say, poor souls with "money problems" who would love to have some sips... I don't drink hot sauce to prove how cool i is, but I'm gonna get more fun out of chugging down a sub-par brew than throwing it away like a little girlie-man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.