Sacramento Beer

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by StevenSpringer, Feb 20, 2013.

1. StevenSpringer

StevenSpringer Sep 26, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Besides Bevmo, what are some good places I can go blow my tax return and possibly find some rarer beers in the Sacramento area?

2. RblWthACoz

RblWthACoz Aug 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

What about taking a trip to San Francisco and loading up on super rare beers there?

3. jasonmason

jasonmason Oct 6, 2004 California

Davis Beer shop is pretty close.

I've heard good things about Hot City Pizza, but haven't made it there myself yet.

Sac Beer Week starts Friday, I'm sure there will be plenty of ways to kill off a tax return with that as well.

StevenSpringer likes this.
  4. dertyd

dertyd Mar 23, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Check out the davis beer shopee its a craft beer bar with 15 taps they change everyother day with amazeing beer and they have over six hundred bottles of beer its a great place to go its in downtown davis prolly no more than 30 to 40 minn from sacramento

5. StevenSpringer

Beer Trader

Yeah I usually go to San Fran, but dont feel like making the drive this weekend. I live in Chico and just want to make a short day trip

6. dertyd

dertyd Mar 23, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Just go to siera nevada brewary and spend your return there that should b fun get a bunch a barel aged big foot:)

7. StevenSpringer

Beer Trader

They have been out of BA bigfoot since the 2nd day they released it, otherwise I would have bought a case :eek:

8. Beerswag

Beerswag Jan 16, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

"I've heard good things about Hot City Pizza, but haven't made it there myself yet.

jasonmason likes this.
  9. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Oct 1, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

you should call final gravity or capital beer they might have some still

10. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Jan 28, 2013 California

I don't know if they sell over the counter, but The Flaming Grill is worth a stop (save some $ for a cab, the selection is big!).

11. Sixam2

Sixam2 Feb 19, 2013 Washington

Just outside of Sacramento, 'Roseville' there is a restaurant called The Yard House..
    They have the largest selection, menu of beers I have ever seen... Fantastic atmosphere, and a killer gourmet Mac n cheese !

12. norcalhophead

norcalhophead Jan 28, 2010 Wisconsin

Pangaea Cafe (always has Pliny on draft)
    Rubicon Brewing

13. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Jan 28, 2013 California

Hopefully, they don't give you 2-4 ounces of head ("that's how beer is properly served" I was told) like the San Jose Yard House.

14. jfh

jfh Apr 25, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

just across the causeway:
    Davis Beer Shoppe tied with Davis Food Coop. They have slightly different beers on the shelves.

South Davis Nugget often is the place to go for a beer sold out other places.

Aggie Liquor on L St (ask for Pliny, 2 bottle limit).

15. abecall98

abecall98 Aug 11, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

Don't go to Pangea.

16. theconductor

theconductor Nov 4, 2008 California

We're out of BA Bigfoot, but we'd be happy help deplete your tax return with other beer :)

17. ParchedNeedBeer

ParchedNeedBeer Feb 21, 2011 California

So on Facebook today Pangaea advertised 25% off Oskar blues and 21st Amendment. So I go in thinking that it might actually be less than total wine or bevmo. Price on a single Deviant Dales...usually $3.99...WTF. After a 25% discount thats $3.00, which is $12 for a 4 pack. Total wine has 4 packs of Deviant for 12.49, and they always have a $1.00 off coupon for 4 packs, bringing it to $11.49. So whats this mean??? Even after a 25% off sale at Pangeae, they still cost more than your regular box store. LAME. I walked out, no money spent there.

18. abecall98

abecall98 Aug 11, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

But Pangea has a great selection!

19. ParchedNeedBeer

ParchedNeedBeer Feb 21, 2011 California

Uh-huh. I smell sarcasm.

20. nickseevers

nickseevers Mar 18, 2012 California

I may be biased because I live 5 minutes from it, but I love Total Wine. They have a great selection and always have new stuff. I know Davis Beer Shoppe has more knowledgeable staff, but if you know what you're looking for I've almost never had trouble with Total Wine.

21. Ynot2

Ynot2 Jul 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

But if he has a tax refund to spend he can probably afford a bottle Pliny, a bottle of Alpine and maybe have enough left for a pint on tap.

22. MetalMountainMastiff

Beer Trader

And bonus, if you use total wines website you can have them email you when the beer you want is in...like oh say Sucaba.

23. SHODriver

SHODriver Aug 13, 2010 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

I would suggest a trip to SHODriver's Cellar in Lincoln. It's the only place in the Sacramento area where you will find out of distribution and aged beers I might consider letting walk out my front door!

24. MLucky

MLucky Jul 31, 2010 California

It's all pretty hit and miss as far as bottles go. There are a few places that get in some harder to find beers, but they go so fast you almost have to be there when they're unpacking the box. You'd probably be better off chasing down some good taps, especially given that this Saturday is the beginning of beer week.

Just for example, in Davis, Davis Beer Shop, Nugget Market, Davis Co-op, and Aggie Liquor all get Pliny, but they often run out within hours of putting it on the shelf, so unless you happen to walk in at just the right time all you're going to see is empty shelf space. But the Davis Graduate usually has it on tap. If I were you, I'd probably plan on swinging by DBS, which always has a lot of good if not rare stuff, and then to Sac for some Beer Week--check their website for good taps.

25. MetalMountainMastiff

Beer Trader

Speaking of sacto beer Sucaba is now at final gravity.... And Pliny the younger will be in auburn soon.

26. flexabull

flexabull Mar 9, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

Where in Auburn?

27. MetalMountainMastiff

Beer Trader

World pub......they said they would have it soon! I assume to release some time during sacto beer week. I'd follow them on facebook cause they might put it up only a few hours before they plan to tap it.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/World-Pub/244564571550

28. flexabull

flexabull Mar 9, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

Interesting, never been there. I don't live in Auburn, but I have family that does, thanks for the heads up.

MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  29. MetalMountainMastiff

Beer Trader

It's a small bar maybe 6-8 stools and 4-8 booths(standing room also)...Only about 6 taps(all craft) then some fridges filled with mostly craft beer bombers besides maybe a bud light or two. Small and fun! A very craft/intimate/friendly feel.

30. StevenSpringer

Beer Trader

Thanks for the suggestions guys, spent 8 hours down there today and made out like a bandit with all this:
    [​IMG]

31. mkotsayfan

mkotsayfan Jul 27, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Where did you find the BA Bigfoot?

32. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Feb 25, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Second Davis Beer Shop. Almost all limited/rotating brews.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe