Saint Errant Brewing

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by BeerTaco, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerTaco

BeerTaco Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2017 Illinois

These guys are something special. Strange Loops was a fantastic IPA. Now their new stout is just incredible. Tepoztecatl is an Imperial Stout with Mexican Coffee, Vanilla Beans and Cinnamon. I love this one....maybe even better than Abraxas? I know they're new but I think these guys are worthy of their own thread. What do you guys think?

I was just at Mikerphone for the release of Teleport Massive when one of the bartenders brought the Saint Errant stout bottles out which literally just came off the bottling line. Then he was kind enough to give me a taste from his glass and wow! 2 bottle limit on these bad boys and I got mine!

2. P739397

P739397 Zealot (524) Feb 13, 2017 Washington
    Trader

Agreed! Every beer I've had from them since Pale Pauper last year has been great. I'm hoping they get a chance to do some wild fermentation down the road, Brent shared some of a peach wild a while ago and it was crazy tasty.

DLDlulz and BeerTaco like this.
  3. Jplachy

Jplachy Pooh-Bah (1,664) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Is the stout on tap at Mikerphone I might be stopping by for a couple tasters tonight.

4. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Pooh-Bah (2,924) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It wasn't last night and they had sold out of bottles by the time I got there (7:30).

5. BeerTaco

It's on tap at Mikerphone now. It's so good. They said very limited quantities so no idea how much they'll have for draft. Only doing 6oz pours, but this thing is 13.4% so that's probably better considering I have to drive home. Bottles are sold out already.

6. joeyknuckles

joeyknuckles Crusader (483) Apr 27, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Has anyone seen any bottles of Tepoztecatal around Chicago? That beer was unreal but haven't been able to find anymore

BeerTaco likes this.
  7. DLDlulz

DLDlulz Zealot (614) Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Also on tap at Green Lady as well as ba Jones dog and some other greats

Quilentro and BeerTaco like this.
  8. Quilentro

Quilentro Maven (1,362) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Sold out everywhere quickly. Saw some at Liquor Park a week or so ago. Saw the sign where they had been for a couple hours at Binny's. Grab some on tap!

9. Jason1221

Jason1221 Zealot (666) Apr 7, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I found a bottle on Friday at Binny's on Grand. There were a few on shelf at that time.

10. BeerTaco

May have to make my way to The Green Lady. Always a great tap list there. Hope this is still on.

SundayMorninCominDown likes this.
  11. Quilentro

Trader

Still on. Drinking ba jones dog right now and gd this is a tasty beer. When I ordered it, bartender immediately recommended I go to tepoztecatl next.

12. Quilentro

Trader

Tasting notes for tepoztecatl:

Nose: dear god, cinnamon

Taste: no sweetness. Chili, but no spiciness. Pepper flavor with no heat, which I'm not sure I've ever experienced in any culinary format. From here, I'm confused.

It is rich, and full bodied. Roasty, but no bitterness. Spice, but integrated. The aftertaste is similar to enjoying extremely dark chocolate (80%).

Talking with the bartender, he mentioned the coffee and vanilla notes. They didn't immediately strike me. While I let it warm, and I sipped it more, both flavors came out. The trick - they're so well-integrated. The coffee comes across with the roasty notes, enhancing them. The vanilla is subtle, brightening the corners.

Final summary: an extremely complex, and very well integrated beer. Forget the hype - drink this beer slowly and with purpose, and be happy.

13. Quilentro

Trader

14. TigerDriver91

TigerDriver91 Zealot (717) Jan 17, 2017 Czech Republic

Seems Beer Temple got bottles of Expanding Symmetry already.
    Curious how Expanding Symmetry is as I quite liked Strange Loops.

15. JFresh21

JFresh21 Savant (1,012) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Whats the deal with these guys? Are they contract brewing at Mikerphone?

16. Shriner

Shriner Crusader (482) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

I don't know if that is what they are doing, but Tepoztecatl is the best non-barrel aged stout that I have ever tasted. I even waited a week to make sure I wasn't over reacting. Still the best I have ever had :slight_smile:

17. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Grand Pooh-Bah (5,364) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yes.

JFresh21 likes this.
  18. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Grand Pooh-Bah (5,364) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

(Checks to see if your posting it for trade....)

Just kidding!!

jaysker95 and JFresh21 like this.
  19. BeerTaco

Just picked up a couple bottles of Expanding Symmetry. Had it on tap and it is delicious! These guys are 3 for 3 with me.

20. P739397

P739397 Zealot (524) Feb 13, 2017 Washington
    Trader

They're brewing and renting space there, which to me is different than contact brewing as they aren't having mikerphone brew for them. More similar to Mikerphones old situation at une anee, I think.

jlsims04, JFresh21 and DLDlulz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.