Saison or triple ideas?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Effinwill, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Effinwill

Effinwill Initiate (57) Dec 2, 2016 California

Thinking about making a triple or saison (10 gallon batch) then splitting into a couple 2.5 g and a single 5g secondary with esoteric ingredients in the former and a more conventional treatment of the beer in the latter. I’m thinking of things on hand: raw cactus honey, bulk green tea, Smuckers strawberry syrup, oak cubes soaked in booze or wine.... Dry and delicate is what I have in mind.... What do you think? French saison yeast?

2. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (214) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Oak cubes soaked in gin.:slight_smile:

3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,236) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Do a grist of equal parts pils and wheat with a touch of flaked whatever, barley wheat oats, pick your poison. French saison yeast works well with flavor additions and hops. Sounds like fun.

4. Effinwill

Thanks, I forgot that I committed to low ABV home-brews, so no triple. But I could still use the Trappist strains to make a nice Belgi-ale.
    No experience with Smuckers strawberry syrup? Or jalapeño jelly? I'm concerned the preservatives, or whatever they used to thicken it, might mess up some beer. Trying to clear out the pantry a little so I may use some brown rice, too.
    Cheers!

5. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (829) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I'm intrigued.

Promising, as it is not tannic, like black tea.

Hell no.

Oak cubes and booze don't scream "dry and delicate". Just sayin'.

Dupont or Blaugies. Fuck French Saison.

Odd title for your thread, then. :wink:

Ehh . . . it's your beer, so do what you want, but this jelly idea doesn't strike me as something that falls within the realm of the "dry and delicate" you talked about.

Although rice isn't a "bad" idea, looking to clear your panty usually is. Design your beer around an ingredient (or two), don't just throw leftover stuff in it just to get rid of it. That's what the trash is for.

6. SFACRKnight

@EvenMoreJesus I did a low ABV grisette that was aged on sauvingnon blanc light french spirals and dryhopped with Nelson. It was fucking fantastic. I am going to revisit this one next spring, and use some SB must in the fermentation as well, and probably cut the oak. But the original brew that included the oak was pretty awesome.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  7. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (794) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Haha, clear out your pantry with a casserole, not a beer, dude!

I do like the idea of a saison split into different vessels for flavoring. I sometimes do a saison with cooking spices for thanksgiving a la Saison du Buff. Always a hit.

Also, agree with @EvenMoreJesus about going with something other than French Saison.

When I was first getting into brewing, I used it because everyone recommended it for its fast and reliable fermentation. While I still like it for some things (like hoppy American saison/BIPAs), there are just too many more flavorful saison yeast options out there. Plus it’s diastaticus+.

If you don’t want to lose that reliability, Omega makes blend of the Belgian and French strains (I think at a 3:1 ratio, respectively) that gets you the delicate character of the former with the the reliable attenuation of the latter.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  8. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Right on. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I'm just not a fan of oak in these types of beers. My own personal bias, I guess.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  9. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

^^^ This

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,645) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Would you happen to know exactly which Belgian yeast strain is in that blend?

I have a Saison fermenting right now where I did a co-pitch of Fermentis T-58 and BE-134 at a ratio of around 3:1 (T-58 to BE-134).

T-58 is a Belgian Ale yeast stain and BE-134 is a Saison yeast strain. I will know in a few months how this batch turned out.

Cheers!

11. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (157) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Oak cubes soaked in Chardonay and/or Honey

12. JohnnyChicago

They use their own yeast code, but it’s heavily implied that it’s WY3724, the DuPont strain.

T-58 I believe is a witbier yeast, probably decently different from B. Saison. I don’t really know if there is a dry yeast comparison.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,645) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

OK, I am understanding you now - it is a blend of a Belgian Saison yeast strain and a French Saison yeast strain.

Cheers!

JohnnyChicago likes this.
  14. MrOH

MrOH Champion (826) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

You could always have one of the 2.5g splits be a tripel, and use the cactus honey as the simple sugar source for it. A small amount of high gravity beer that you only drink every now and then isn't so bad.

15. SFACRKnight

@JohnnyChicago and @EvenMoreJesus why use something pof+ for a saison that will be including other flavors? I agree Dupont is king shit and used it for the above mentioned oakes grisette, but wouldn't the phenols interfere with flavorings?

16. JohnnyChicago

One man’s interference in another’s compliment, I guess. I like the phenolic character with the specific set of cooking spices I use. With another flavor it might not work as well. I think citrusy American hops clash hard, but that’s just me. It’s very personal and requires experimentation.

17. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,996) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Bourbon barrel aged maple syrup from Wisconsin...

18. Effinwill

Thanks for the input fellas. Work, family and college football ruined this weekend for brewing, but perhaps next weekend a restrained malt bill supplemented by wheat and brown rice, step or decoction mashed, split thricely and given separate treatments of cactus honey, oak cubes soaked in mirabelle plum brandy and I’ll deliberate on the last secondary.....