Sam Adams Beers for Cheers variety pack

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by beer_thusiast, Oct 24, 2021.

1. beer_thusiast

beer_thusiast Initiate (44) Sep 5, 2015 Missouri

I saw this at Sam's today. $25. Looks like one of their better variety packs.
    [​IMG]

2. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,393) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I won't lie...I will purchase this...probably won't drink the white ales but everything else looks agreeable

plaid75, Roguer, JohnnyHopps and 9 others like this.
  3. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Aspirant (294) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Finally! Old Fezziwig!
    I just wish it would be sold separately so I don't have to drink the rest of the crap, mainly the IPA.
    Where is the Cranberry Lambic?
    That was a nice compliment to the Holiday feasts, very tart and refreshing. Oh well, I can pass off the less desirable offerings to "friends".
    Or, find a recipe and brew my own Fezzi.

4. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Devotee (457) Nov 28, 2016 New York

im guessing since its a 24pk it will be clubs only? I don't think i've seen 24 mix packs of Sams at local distributors or super markets. 2 of each for a 12 pk would be a buy from me.

dcotom likes this.
  5. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Savant (916) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Definite improvement.

TCgenny, Squire and dcotom like this.
  6. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (460) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I'm very excited for this one! This is a line up we've been asking years for! Hopefully I can find it!

TCgenny, Squire, dcotom and 1 other person like this.
  7. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Ya know, that's how I remember the early version from the 1990s (?) - I didn't even care that it was mislabeled "Lambic" :grin:. And we weren't the only ones - M. Jackson rated it "** > ***" (between "Above Average" and "Worth Seeking Out"). Around that time I had someone buy me a case of it for a Christmas present but then didn't bother with it for years and when I tried it again 'bout a decade ago, I guess? - damn, sweet and otherwise unmemorable.
    (Well, I remember that much and never drank it again).

8. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,332) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Hmm...it's really hard to be excited about anything Sam Adams these days but this does seem like a worthwhile purchase.

9. Troy-Hawaii

Troy-Hawaii Meyvn (1,126) Jun 15, 2015 Hawaii

I've read so many posts last year about how people won't be buying Sam Adams variety packs because it doesn't include Old Fezziwig and now it shows up! People complained about how it always included Sam '76 and only had 4 varieties and now Sam '76 is gone and there are 6 varieties like they used to make it! Is someone there actually reading these posts and listening to what we say? Well I better buy this pack so they see that if they listen people will buy.

Would be better if they included a Sam Adams mug or stein then sales will really go up! (just testing to see if they are really listening or not...we'll see next year)

10. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,322) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

All those Old Fezzwig promoters on the forum have to be jumping for joy about now. I’m buying this one, just because it’s offering a good variety of styles and a few new beers or old ones returning. Finally someone got the message that variety is what a lot of craft beer drinkers prefer, not 3-4different IPAs or sours in a variety pack.

pudgym29, mikeinportc, ESHBG and 5 others like this.
  11. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,794) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Do we know if this is also what the 12 pack will be?

HarryBeerBeard, TCgenny and Rug like this.
  12. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,200) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Looks like I need to make a trip to Sam's today. Only missing chocolate bock?

13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Yeah, the 12-pack has the same 6 beers x 2 each for $15. My store had an entire pallet of the 24-pack on the floor, but only 12 of the 12-pack on the shelf. Presume more of that size in the back?

Bshaw22, Genuine, GetMeAnIPA and 4 others like this.
  14. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,823) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

This. If Chocolate Bock was in the variety pack, I'd get the case for sure. I'll get the 12-pack regardless. (Edit: If I can find it among the seltzers and other crap that's cluttering up the beer cooler, that is.)

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  15. PapaGoose03

Society

And by "My store" I mean my Sam's Club where beer coolers don't exist.

@dcotom

16. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,654) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'll buy it, I'll drink it, just wish they were in cans.

beerjerk666, Tilley4 and rgordon like this.
  17. Squire

Society Trader

Damning with faint praise.

18. Squire

Society Trader

Sam Adams seems to have a knack for almost getting there.

19. Squire

Society Trader

Whether they are listening or not this is an encouraging trend.

PapaGoose03 and mikeinportc like this.
  20. Squire

Society Trader

Not just got the message but maneuvered the idea past the Seltzer guys.

21. AlcahueteJ

Society

Would have been nice to kick the White Ale to the curb and put in the Chocolate Bock. If I was greedy I'd want the IPA out of there as well and put in something like the Cream Stout.

22. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,177) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Yes. Samuel Smith beers may take a hit on here, but one and all they're better than "most" American brews. I just bought a Winter Welcome at Trader Joe's and look forward to trying it......later.
    Yes. I think they've been there for years, but the beer world has changed amid their constancy. I bought a SS Winter Welcome at Trader Joe's today and it's in danger of being consumed a bit later.

23. PapaGoose03

Society

The seltzer guys were busy dumping excess inventory and didn't notice this holiday pack in the works. :slight_smile:

24. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Crusader (738) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I’m curious. I’d probably drink everything except the BL and the IPA. Maybe I can pass those off on my dad. Or maybe I can convince him to buy a 12 pack.

If the 12 packs exist outside of sams, I am certainly going to try to go into a Krogers at 9pm, get someone to let me make some variety packs, and try these out.

No one who works beer at 9pm at Krogers cares enough to tell you no, even if they think it is probably wrong.

Squire and Rug like this.
  25. davedog_7

davedog_7 Initiate (88) Jun 26, 2017 Georgia

I'll take this in a heartbeat. As others have said, could've done without, or with a different option than the White Christmas and the IPA, but this is a much better overall offering than recent years. Strange that they have never deviated from the White Christmas/Holiday White for the last 20 years or so. But, again, this is definitely a step back in the right direction.

Does anyone know if Costco has this as well? That place is a bloodbath on weekends when I can go, so I'd prefer to know beforehand.

Squire, AlcahueteJ and Rug like this.
  26. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,065) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

With all of the hints that they were throwing, I really thought that Old Fezzi would be in 6 packs.

SFACRKnight, Squire and Rug like this.
  27. davedog_7

It would be a Christmas Miracle, but the only thing that maybe is giving me a tiny bit of hope is that cans of Fezzi were featured in mybeerbuzz earlier this year, and the above picture is obviously in bottles.

I wouldn't bet my chestnuts on it happening, but maybe just the slightest glimmer of hope.

28. AlcahueteJ

Society

Would you purchase the mix pack if it was in standalone six packs?

jasonmason, Squire and Jaycase like this.
  29. officerbill

officerbill Champion (864) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

My grocery store has the 12 packs, same beers

30. davedog_7

Sure, not as many, but I would more than make up for it in the number of 6-packs of Old Fezziwig I'd buy.

I'd also submit that not everybody specifically loves the OFs. I imagine people buy the variety packs for parties and just to sample several different beers.

Having said all that, I do understand your point, but then, couldn't I ask the same question about Winter Lager and White Christmas/Holiday White?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. AlcahueteJ

Society

It’s a good point. I think it’s safe to say on BeerAdvocate Old Fezzi is a favorite.

But I wonder what’s the general public’s favorite from the mix pack?

It would be cool if they made Old Fezziwig the winter seasonal. I mean, what’s so special about Winter Lager?

keithmurray, Rug, davedog_7 and 2 others like this.
  32. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (697) Mar 28, 2009 California

This is worth a buy and plan to hit up Costco next week hoping to find it. Just to complain but it’s almost too many different beers. I pretty much have to buy a case because a 12 pack only has 2 fizziwigs and holiday porter.

Rug, AlcahueteJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  33. lpteague

lpteague Initiate (87) Dec 11, 2009 North Carolina

Am I the only one that is super stoked to see Holiday Porter back in the mix? Feel like it’s been a year or 3 since that has been included. It’s that one and Fezziwig that makes it feel like Christmas to me

AirBob, pudgym29, SFACRKnight and 4 others like this.
  34. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Crusader (738) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I think half the population says 2 is too few and 4 is too many. I prefer to have 2 of more options unless I generally dislike the options. And I prefer to have more of just a few if I really dig the options. Sounds like the same for you, since it sounds like you are after 2 specifically. :slight_smile:

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  35. AlcahueteJ

Society

I think this was the lineup last year based on last year's posts:

Boston Lager
    Sam 76
    Winter Lager
    Holiday White Ale
    American IPA
    Holiday Porter

36. davedog_7

I guess the Winter Lager isn't amazing, but I generally enjoy it. The bigger question for me, anyway, is why are they so attached to White Christmas? Maybe it sells amazing for them on its own, although I don't think I've ever met/heard of anyone saying they love it.

That, it would seem, would be the ideal one to swap out for OF. But, that's just me, so maybe White Christmas flies off the shelves in other parts of the country.

AlcahueteJ and Rug like this.
  37. AlcahueteJ

Society

My comment about Winter Lager was less about how the beer tastes, and more about its popularity. For example, I recall that Summer Ale is a best seller for them, same with Octoberfest.

They've played around with their spring seasonal over the years before, but never changed Winter Lager. Does it sell incredibly well?

Regarding White Christmas, my thought is that Witbiers are an approachable style for the general public. Allagash White sells incredibly well, and Blue Moon is one of the top selling "craft" beers period.

keithmurray, Redrover, Rug and 3 others like this.
  38. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,160) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have read in many places that Octoberfest is by far the best selling non-year round beer for Boston Beer Company. I can report anecdotally that among family/friends that Octoberfest is very popular.

Maybe some other BA(s) have actual sales volume figures they can share?

Cheers!

@jesskidden

AlcahueteJ and Rug like this.
  39. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (371) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

40. AlcahueteJ

Society

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I didn’t mean they haven’t changed the recipe (I realize that says the first time in 31 years, but I’ve seen people on here say it was upwards of 7% at one time in the past).

What I meant is they haven’t deviated from that beer in particular. For example, the spring seasonal has been Noble Pils, Cold Snap, and Alpine Spring in recent years.

ESHBG and Beer_Economicus like this.