Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Sam Adams - Utopias (2017)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by eldoctorador, Oct 27, 2017.

1. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (502) Dec 12, 2014 California

2. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,385) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I sincerely hope I never run across this. It would be awfully tough to pass up.

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,280) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Let all your usual retailers know you are interested. (Of course, that single request of yours might increase "demand" enough to raise the price way above BBC's MSRP).

Alternately, keep an eye out for reps and salespeople from your local BBC distributor(s) and pick their brains for info - in my state, they "hand carry" the Utopias to the stores, so they know where they're going and who has them and when, etc.

4. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,477) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

The few that make it to South Dakota seem to go to store and taproom owners, and some of it ends up sold by the shot. I wouldn't buy my own bottle even if I could - have to draw the line on price somewhere and that's waaaaay over the line.

ICTguy21 likes this.
  5. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (205) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Can anyone remind me what this costs so that I can remind myself to not waste time trying to get a bottle. (100% serious - would love to, but as I recall it is about $200 more than I can afford in any given month that is not Christmas and gifts.)

6. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (253) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Supporter Subscriber

The wife and I have been sharing a 2 oz serving every 2 months for the last 2 years. We still have a Christmas treat left. It is incredible what happens to this brew over time. Yes, watch for the markups. We shopped until we found one at MSRP. We haven't decided if we will spring for the '17. I'm glad we got to try it.

7. MJS08

Supporter Subscriber

We paid $200 plus tax in '15. There was plenty around at TW's.

Harrison8 and Beer_Economicus like this.
  8. darklord2011

darklord2011 Aspirant (223) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I've seen this twice and passed both times. A bottle sat in a case at a local store for more than a year. Might even still be there. I can't justify paying $200 for a bottle of beer no matter how good. Maybe a bottle of Pappy that I can open and savor for years but not a bottle of beer that's only good for a day once opened.

beergoot likes this.
  9. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,090) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This is not accurate regarding Utopias. Just look at the post 2 above yours(#6). From reading about this beer, it can be enjoyed for quite some time after being opened. Not sure how long but it's months if not years.

10. heysuz

heysuz Defender (620) Nov 18, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Watch SAMS wholesale clubs. They usually get a good number because they sell a lot of other products so their allocation is high. They usually just set it out and first come first served, no limits.

11. darklord2011

Beer Trader

OK my bad. Can't imagine it holds up like a bottle of bourbon though and certainly not going to pay $200 to find out.

12. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,574) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

It may be classified as beer, but it's 29% ABV and drinks more like a hard liquor. It's flavor-protecting ABV is similar to lower alcohol whiskeys, which get opened and left for long periods of time. It's not really a beer that gets lumped in with the "drink fresh". I do agree on the Pappy part. If I was going to drop $200 on a fine alcoholic beverage, it'd be for a bottle of Pappy.

13. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It does hold up similar to liquor. It's 58 proof and uncarbonated.

14. tfischl

tfischl Initiate (137) Dec 28, 2005 Indiana

Saw someone buy a bottle today; I think it was $255. I could have bought one too but a bit out of my price range.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  15. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,197) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Keep in mind that flavors of the Bourbon in your bottle also begin to change and deteriorate with oxidation as soon as you open it and allow oxygen into the bottle. So a bottle first opened two years ago will still be drinkable but won't taste quite the same as the same Bourbon from a brand new just opened bottle.

Harrison8 and bluejacket74 like this.
  16. SuperWhip

SuperWhip Initiate (154) Jul 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

For those seeking, don't forget to check Costco. That's where my wife bought my bottle several years back.

17. darklord2011

Beer Trader

Agreed but I still double an 80-140 proof bourbon changes/deteriorates at the same rate as a 58 proof "beer". I could be wrong, I've not tried Utopias or tried this experiment, just my thought.

18. drtth

Well, here’s where the resources of this site come in handy.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads FiQh3TVMEHN6wP/utopias-shelf-life.110505/

It’s belived by some who have tried it to improve with age after the bottle is open for some years.

19. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (149) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Luckily i live in the Boston area so there are tons of places to get Utopias. Its really the price tag, and my budget, that makes me pause. I've wanted to get this beer since before i was into beer, and now that i have a decent paying job and have been doing some OT lately, i might just get it this year.

Samlover55, Harrison8, thuey and 3 others like this.
  20. darklord2011

Beer Trader

OK I give. I don't know what I'm talking about apparently.

21. drtth

Not to worry. We can't all know everything! (Also it's not unusual for there to be exceptions to a general rule.)

Based on what I knew about beer before joining this site to learn from the experience of others there's no way I would have even known what Utopias was, etc.

#21 drtth, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Beer_Economicus and bluejacket74 like this.
  22. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (144) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

MSRP in MA is around $ 200 or so, see if for that and 20-40 more at times. Hit up a bar for a pour if interested. Had some once, Jim Koch was pouring, nice and quite different. Compare to maybe a port/cognac or such. This is not a distilled product, crazy mega yeast.

SammyJaxxxx and MJS08 like this.
  23. StoutFox

StoutFox Disciple (329) Jun 6, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I've come across this one one different occasions at retail (just under 200) and both times i just couldn't do it.

24. MJS08

Supporter Subscriber

I couldn't 4 years ago, but caved 2 years ago. If I may, I have a humble suggestion if one springs for the stuff: Only have a couple of sips the first taste, and savor them. It is so unique, the taste buds don't know how to process it. After that, simply enjoy.

25. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

"New this year, Utopias aged in Aquavit barrels, a Scandinavian spirit with distinct flavor from spices and herbs, primarily caraway or dill."

I'll pass this year.

26. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,176) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

I still have a few ounces of 2005, or is it 2009? I will have to check. $130 and $140 respectively if I remember correctly.

bluejacket74 and MJS08 like this.
  27. MJS08

Supporter Subscriber

I'm jealous. How long since you had a taste, and how is it aging? Mine won't make it much past 2 years.

Bitterbill likes this.
  28. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

A few months I think. Gonna save what's left for a bottle share if I can get one going.

My bottle's longevity can probably be accredited to having 2 bottles. :wink:

bluejacket74 and MJS08 like this.
  29. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (1,562) Apr 6, 2010 Texas
    Supporter Beer Trader

I have a very difficult time getting my melon around this "beer."

30. Vitacca

Vitacca Devotee (450) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

In 2015 my cost was $170, it was $140 in 2013. We're talking Milwaukee. Haven't seen the price on it this year. As for how long it holds up, I drank my 2009 bottle over the course of 13 months from 2012-2013 and the flavor was spot on with every glass. It's delicious.

31. MJS08

Supporter Subscriber

A TW in the Tampa area told me the '17 MSRP is $199, same as '15. I hadn't heard of any discounts like you enjoyed, but in '15, a large chain was asking, and getting, I suppose, $250.
    I did like the security of knowing if anyone tampered with the contents. When the deco cap is unscrewed, there is a regular pry off Samuel Adams bottle cap on the mouth. Because of that, it must be real beer.

eaglephile and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  32. Vitacca

Vitacca Devotee (450) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I'm talking retail cost, not MSRP. $199 is fair but light on margin. $219 on $170 cost is spot on. Places that are charging $250-300 are just taking advantage.

33. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Anyone remember Old Chicago having a tasting event for the 2016? I indulged. :wink:

34. SuperWhip

SuperWhip Initiate (154) Jul 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I once did a tasting where we got a good size group together to all chip in for a bottle which we evenly split and enjoyed

35. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (4,190) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Supporter Subscriber

I heard about Utopias for years and years, and finally came across a bottle in Louisville a couple years ago (right time, right place). Yeah, it was $200 and I bought it. Truthfully, I don't regret it one bit. I've shared it with friends here and there and still have some left for special occasions. IMO, it really is like drinking a bourbon or Scotch and doesn't have to be finished all right away. To each their own, but if you really want to try it and want to get a bottle (and don't have better things to spend $ on) then why not? But I will say that it's always good to share something like this with friends, and even people that you don't know that well because they will remember when you shared that Utopias with them. I've made a few other friends that way, too. :sunglasses::beers:

stevesbeer, eaglephile, BWood and 5 others like this.
  36. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (632) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I got to smell the remains in a bottle once. I was surprised by the bottle size. I was expecting somethibg quite large.

At $199 a bottle I would need to have my earnings go up 4x.

And people complain about $10 bottles of WWS

Enjoy

#36 Giantspace, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    stevesbeer, SammyJaxxxx and ICTguy21 like this.
  37. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,385) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

This is exactly why it would be tough for me to pass up. I'd love to have it just for a monumental share. Of course, I'd have to shell out for a few more Glencairn glasses, since I have only three at the moment. :grinning:

VABA, Bitterbill and bluejacket74 like this.
  38. AWA

AWA Aspirant (255) Jul 22, 2014 California

I don't know. In retail today anything over 20% margin is gougey in my book.

39. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (1,634) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Supporter Beer Trader

I was just at place in Boston metro with a good number of bottles priced at $169. I passed, but was somewhat tempted. Figure I'll try it at a bar some day.

Beer_Economicus and Harrison8 like this.
  40. jtads122

jtads122 Initiate (134) Feb 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Curious what place you were at in Boston?

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.