samuel adams beer date question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by reowin, Feb 10, 2018.

1. reowin

reowin Initiate (24) Nov 24, 2017 Tennessee

hey people if i have 2 bottles of samuel adams left from awhile back i found with the date notch on the side december 2017 are they still ok? will they taste bad or different or anything?

2. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (210) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

The day right after a beer "expires" it contains the flu virus, dispose of immediately.

Okay a little more seriously what type of SA is it? If it's Boston Lager and has been stored properly it will probably taste just fine.

3. reowin

reowin Initiate (24) Nov 24, 2017 Tennessee

yes the boston lager

4. Averwo

Averwo Disciple (301) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa

Not much you can do to ruin Boston Lager. I mean it's not that great to begin with.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,258) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Why would they be bad? They will taste as they always do.

Cheers

6. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (7,673) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

If was HopSlam and it's that old, then you should launch it in to space.

ESHBG likes this.
  7. bozebus17

bozebus17 Initiate (0) May 18, 2004 Michigan

I’m sure it’s probably fine, but depending on what it is it might taste a little past its prime. If it’s something hoppy it probably won’t have quite as much bite as it would if it were fresher.

elgiacomo likes this.
  8. spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon Devotee (493) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware
    Premium Trader

There's really only 1 true way to find out!

Let us know...

JackHorzempa likes this.
  9. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,297) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

The wording on the BBC bottle labels is
    [​IMG]
    (slightly different for cans IIRC). So, the brewery is admitting that the beer, while perfectly drinkable, will simply not taste fresh. "Bad" ? "Different" well , yeah and not what they feel is the beer at its best.

Jim Koch might be a bit of a huckster, but I trust his judgement on this topic over anonymous posters* on a website.
    (* Like even me :grin:).

Well, BBC and/or their distributors spend a lot of time and money pulling old beer off the shelves and destroying it - they must think it doesn't taste the same after 5 months in the bottle.

JackHorzempa, SFACRKnight and drtth like this.
  10. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Are they actually pulling it due to taste issues or company policy?

The beer in question was Dec 2017, we are at Feb 11 so basically 6 weeks past, I would bet the taste is not impacted. Now if the beer was a year old sure it probably is a little flat but 6 weeks past... Not to mention its like a $1.50 beer..... :sunglasses:

TonyLema1 likes this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,297) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Both? Or, as Uncle Jim put it:

“Assuming the beer’s not stored under unreasonable conditions, at what point would I not want a consumer to drink it? ... A good beer stays at that peak for about four to five months. Until then, it tastes good. After that . . . it’s like listening to music on cheap speakers. A six-month old Samuel Adams Boston Lager is still Samuel Adams, it’s immediately recognizable, but . . . like listening to Beethoven’s Ninth on $2 speakers, it’s not as great an experience.”

But, yeah, if you already own the beer... drink up (or compost). (Especially since people listen to music on their goddam phone or those cheezy earbuds these days :astonished:...totally ruining Koch's entire analogy.)

Bitterbill, Jimbo69 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,188) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Meaning it's a cheap beer so if it's off no big deal, or it's a cheap beer so it never tasted good to begin with?

13. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Meaning its a $1.50 beer that is six weeks past its drink by date, in my book not worth worrying over. Pop it open and if it is tasty drink, if it is flat pour out, its not as if your losing a whole lot. I actually enjoy Sam Adams so not ripping on them, just saying its not worth worrying about. I have had these way past the date and they were about the same. Worst case toss it into a pot of chili....
    :slight_smile:

SFACRKnight likes this.
  14. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

:grin: So true on the music side, not the way music should be listened to.

My wife loves older Sam Adams beers, they actually go very well in chili or with a roast. :stuck_out_tongue:

15. Jimbo69

Jimbo69 Initiate (44) Sep 12, 2017 North Carolina

I have a 12 year old Sam Adams cranberry lambic awaiting a drain pour. However, if interested let me know.

16. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,160) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

17. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,160) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I suggest purchasing a fresh one and drinking them sides by side. It will be a great opportunity to note what age does to this beer.

spelingchampeon and AZBeerDude72 like this.