Samuel Adams - Nitro Can Series

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Aug 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoulFroosh

SoulFroosh Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2014 Maine

Aw shit! I love nitro/widget beers. And I love SA.
    Can't wait.

Cheers Sam!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  2. HeislerGold

HeislerGold Initiate (129) Oct 19, 2013 Michigan

I did that part. Samuel Adams listed them as "special ingredients." Sam Adams is horrible at posting their own press on their website. I pulled this info from Mybeerbuzz.

Edited to add:
    According to this Fortune article, there's a formal announcement coming on Monday so more info should be available then.

#82 HeislerGold, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  3. HeislerGold

With there being a burst of Sam Adams talk today, I thought I'd add the first piece of advertising for this series. You might recognize the theme they're piggybacking on:

4. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,428) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

I will look forward to the Coffee Stout too. The others I will wait for others to review to see if I will spend my hard earned money on.

RUN-4-B33R likes this.
  5. BradenMK

BradenMK Aspirant (279) Sep 24, 2012 Alaska

100 IBUs on a 7.5% nitro IPA. Whoa. I assume that's all to balance out the bitterness and hoppy flavor against the flavor-muting capability of the nitro, but that's still a lot of IBUs there cap'n. I'll probably still try it and the stout. Weirdly, I'm also pretty interested in the nitro white, especially with it being brewed with citra hops.

6. HeislerGold

I was also thinking that those stats for the IPA were boosted specifically to balance out the muting capacity of the nitro element.

7. Dereksbrew

Dereksbrew Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 New York

[​IMG]
    Will be trying one of these bad boys tonight. Was lucky to score 6 of these sample cans

8. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Aspirant (202) Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

I'm suddenly interested.

9. HeislerGold

Sam Adams launched a new section of their website for what they've dubbed "The Nitro Project." They've even made a new glass to hawk just for their nitro beers.

BeerCosby and creepinjeeper like this.
  10. BeerCosby

BeerCosby Initiate (38) Aug 1, 2015 Rhode Island

I really like that they are going all out on promoting this. Also, a bit more snooping, it looks like they added the Nitro beers to their regular beer locator, which also lists launch events. Hopefully they are generous in giving away complimentary Nitro project glasses :slight_smile:

Any impressions on this?

11. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,001) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I had a chance to sample the Nitro White. I am not a witbier fan at all but I really liked it. This is super drinkable with some nice citrus notes; it will be perfect for spring.

12. ThomasMetal75

ThomasMetal75 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2009 Massachusetts

I'd guess the pub ale style is the English Bitter. It's the ale of pubs in England.

13. BeerCosby

Got to have the Nitro White at a launch event and got a complimentary glass as well. While Belgian Whites don't usually blow me away, this was pretty good. The mouth feel was great and taste was good. Hopefully the canned version comes close to the on tap version. Can't wait to try the coffee stout and IPA.

creepinjeeper and HeislerGold like this.
  14. HeislerGold

There are some sample cans of the Nitro White floating around Untappd and people seem to be generally pretty positive about it as well.

15. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,211) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I'll give them all a shot. The coffee stout one in particular has snagged my interest.

16. brewmudgeon

brewmudgeon Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2007 Wisconsin

I will be giving some of these a try--but I wonder why they didn't go with 16 oz. cans. imo "having a pint" of something is more than .8 oz more fun than "having 450ml" of something.

17. jimmypa

jimmypa Initiate (174) Nov 15, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I've tried the Nitro White Ale recently and thought it was pretty tasty. Probably not for everyone as it is not super flavorful but it is nice and smooth, creamy, and has pleasant flavors of a white ale with it. Very very easy to drink. Everyone else I was with who tried it liked it a lot but they were mostly the occasional craft drinker.

Edit: From a pre released packaged 16oz can

18. BeerBobber

BeerBobber Defender (609) Nov 23, 2015 Nevada

I am trying to wait patiently for these but it is getting difficult!

19. joe16siny

joe16siny Initiate (98) Nov 3, 2015 New York
    Trader

It is a 16 oz can but the widget takes up some space so its less than 16 oz of beer.

Gemini6 likes this.
  20. brewmudgeon

brewmudgeon Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2007 Wisconsin

"Having a pint minus a widget's worth" it is, then! Cheers.

Lucular likes this.
  21. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (157) Dec 25, 2015 New York

That's not good. Sam A. is usually all about flavor. Surprised they would even waste their time making a lite white ale.

22. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Disciple (344) Jan 25, 2012 Texas

Keep in mind that the perception of flavor, or lack thereof, is purely subjective. I notice a tendency with some of us 'serious' beer folks to discount anything that doesn't attempt to peel your face back on the first sip. I spent last summer sampling many pilsners and other lighter styles. I enjoy the subtleties of a well crafted pilsner, kolsch, witbier, hefeweizen etc. As always, drink what you like.

siege06nd, ESHBG, Lucular and 2 others like this.
  23. HeislerGold

That was an offhanded comment made months before this beer even hit the market, which it's doing right now. It's very true that Samuel Adams has a well-earned dismal track record with wheat beers. Surprisingly, however, early reports about this beer have been positive. As always, it's better to try it for yourself and make up your own mind. Taste buds and beer preferences vary greatly. If I solely relied on other people's thoughts on beer I'd never drink Bell's Pale Ale (which I like and most people think is akin to swamp water.) :slight_smile:

Gemini6 likes this.
  24. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (157) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Lol, i feel dumb now for not seeing that. After drinking the Cabin pack i was hoping they wouldn't go cheap.

HeislerGold likes this.
  25. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (106) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I had the IPA, white, and coffee stout the other night. The IPA definitely did not taste like 100 IBU, but apparently it is. All are solid, definitely smooth. The coffee was my favorite, probably because the nitro smoothness is more befitting of a stout. They were at least worth picking up a can or two of each, which is pretty much what I felt about Guinness IPA.

eagles7251 likes this.
  26. Harvrah

Harvrah Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2015 Illinois

I just picked up the white ale and coffee stout.. I think it's funny all the hate for Sam Adams. They are basically the brewery that introduced me to craft beer through their sampler 12 packs so even though I've started drinking better beers and harder to get beers through trades I still like to support them since if it wasn't for Sam Adams I wouldn't be drinking Trillium or Hopslam this week... just my 2 cents

Robtobfest likes this.
  27. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

The widgets I have seen are hollow with a small hole in them and about the size of a grape. Midget widget?

28. Dando274

Dando274 Initiate (64) Jan 12, 2016 Pennsylvania

I bought 4-packs of the coffee stout and the wit. The stout is definitely good and I don't think it is far off from Guinness but sweeter. I'll have to try them side by side and compare to really figure it out.

The wit was extremely easy to drink but overall bland. Maybe it's the nitro masking some flavor. If this was cheaper it would be much more appealing but for 10-11$ per 4-pack I'd like something more. And I don't mean that I want it to melt the enamel off my teeth; something like Allagash White's level of intensity would be great. This is good but boring.

29. JratBones

JratBones Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2013 Massachusetts

Had the coffee stout yesterday. Glad it was a sample because I def would not be purchasing any more.

30. olekern

olekern Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2010 California

"officially", it is a 15.2oz can (0.8 oz for the widget I guess).

31. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,074) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

How is the coffee variant? I looked at buying it for about a solid 60 seconds at the bottle shop today, but passed. If it seems to be worth trying, I'll snag it this weekend.

32. BeerCosby

I enjoyed the Coffee even more than the White. Not sure if I'll bother with the IPA; I think I'll wait for more impressions here.

Harrison8 likes this.
  33. Lebortsdm

Lebortsdm Initiate (57) Aug 8, 2014 Illinois

Is it just me or will anyone say that the Pub/Pale and Red aren't released yet? If you go to the Sam Adams website, they only have the Coffee, IPA and White available. Where'd this guy get the others?

34. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (539) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Look at the first post in the thread.

35. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,074) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

I enjoyed the IPA. Not as much as the coffee, but not bad.

36. 2ellas

2ellas Devotee (470) Feb 20, 2014 New Hampshire

Coffee was good, definitely worth a shot in my opinion. Easy drinking, enjoyable stout and the foamy head tastes like a frikkin milkshake!

37. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Aspirant (202) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

Had the coffee and the white. I liked both a lot. Coffee was the better of the two but the white actually worked surprisingly well.

38. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,089) Nov 3, 2013 California

Always have respect for SA, will try anything they put out at least once. Just wish they would take off that "west coast style" off of the bottles of rebel. I don't think it taste anything like the IPA's over here, still tasty just not west coast.

39. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Not a fan of nitro beers but I might pull the trigger on the coffee stout.

40. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Aspirant (202) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

To me it was like a black coffee with a few sugars in it in terms of both flavor and mouth feel. Really well done.

Brolo75 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.