Samuel Adams Winter Classics Seasonal Pack

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Nov 4, 2019.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (239) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I came across this today and minus the Sam '76, decent lineup (I don't mind 76 but it doesn't belong here):

Winter Lager, Boston Lager, Sam '76 Lager (whatever happened to the Ale/Lager hybrid marketing?), Holiday Porter, Chocolate Bock, Old Fezziwig

Standalone six packs were Winter Lager and White Christmas. And the new labels are nondescript, almost walked right by Winter Lager without even noticing it.

2. afterexile

afterexile Initiate (126) Nov 29, 2005 Pennsylvania

I wish they would bring back their Maple Pecan Porter.

Gemini6, GOBLIN, KRug and 1 other person like this.
  3. rypkr

rypkr Champion (877) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I wish they'd bring back their bonfire rauchbier.

Zorro, JimKal, jgido759 and 4 others like this.
  4. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,149) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I will pick one up for the Fezziwig and the Porter... the Boston and Chocolate are ok...Sam 76 can go away AFAIC.... Cream Stout FTW and I would purchase more than one....

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,185) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

So much for the rumor that this year they would make Old Fezzwig as a standalone 6-pack. Very disappointed.:slight_frown:

Cheers!

6. davedog_7

davedog_7 Initiate (76) Jun 26, 2017 Georgia

Yep. Haven't seen the Mixed Pack yet here, but saw the Winter Lager and White Christmas, and knew there'd be no Fezzis again (in a stand alone) this year.

And, get these freakin' Sam '76s out of the variety packs. Ridiculous to put two year-round offerings in them.

Oh well. Didn't buy any fall packs this year, and will likely buy 1 winter pack, just to drink a couple of the OFAs.

7. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Initiate (177) Nov 28, 2016 New York

just found this in Virginia. Solid variety. Sam 76 is a great session beer, so its nice to have that in there even though it's been omnipresent in the past offerings.

8. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,812) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I 100% agree with this. Maybe they're doing it to give it more exposure with the hope that people will buy it after the season is over. That I understand, but I don't want it in my mixed case. I don't really want the Boston Lager either; just too common, and in my opinion, not seasonal.

100% agreed as well. Hell I'd take a Honey Porter over the 76; anything a little more seasonal.

I won't be buying this again this year, I'm going to pass. Maybe I'll get lucky and come across a Fezziwig at a party or something. I'll probably grab a sixer of the White Christmas though.

#8 NeroFiddled, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    scootercrabb and Bitterbill like this.
  9. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,966) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Gimme back that Black Lager.

10. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,605) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Same lineup as last year, isn't it?

11. ESHBG

Yep it is.

12. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,157) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

I'm a sucker for the chocolate bock so I'll buy this.
    Improvement over the fall pack, but that's not sayin' much.

Redrover and ESHBG like this.
  13. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,089) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

No Double Bock, no care.

14. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,837) Jun 18, 2010 New York

Sigh, they will get my money *again* for the Fezziwig's, and the other seasonals that I only try as part of the pack. And then the task of offering the Sam 76 and the Boston Lager for folks dropping by during the holidays. Yeah, I freely admit doing this....

15. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (343) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

I'll probably buy one for the beers that actually belong in this pack. Sam 76 does not. And yes, having that and Boston lager in the same pack is annoying. Otherwise I would buy more. It's tempting to vote with my wallet and not buy any, as I have the past few packs that have came out.

16. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (522) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I usually try to snag some Old Fezz as singles in a mix 6 at Wegmans.

17. tzieser

Trader

Yeah, I agree. Would've loved to see Brown Ale make a comeback. Or Scotch Ale. Maybe even put Boston/Stock Ale in there instead.

18. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (243) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Normally I would opine for the days when they put at least 1 or 2 new beers in every variety pack but there's just too many other options out there to get all worked up about it I guess. The fall pack had the Kosmic Sour as a NEW beer so to not have anything new in the winter I dont really get it.

19. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,102) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I actually don’t mind having the Boston Lager in there. Gives me an excuse to revisit this beer, and I know it’s fresh.

The Sam ‘76 is overkill though.

I wonder if they’d sell more with double the amount of Fezziwig instead of Sam ‘76 in this pack?

Gemini6, johnnybgood1999 and tzieser like this.
  20. tzieser

Trader

I actually didn't read his full post or I probably wouldn't have said "Yeah I agree" so decisively like I did lol

Yeah Boston Lager is legit. I'd never turn one down, it's one of those beers that makes me think "why don't I buy this more often?" whenever I drink one again

Gemini6, AlcahueteJ and ESHBG like this.
  21. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,896) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Year after year, no Old Fezziwig sixers.

Gemini6 likes this.
  22. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (50) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

I always look forward to the Sam winter pack, but they put too many beers in the pack this year because its only two of each....booo. Also Sam 76 can get 86'd from this pack. On a good side Old Fezzy is great.

23. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (588) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Fezwig gets me every time

puck1225 likes this.
  24. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,341) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,868) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Unlike the rather dull bottle label (BELOW, LEFT) which is approved for use by all 3 BBC breweries, the 16 oz. can label is only approved for the Boston brewery, as the side panel also specifies. Can't remember which beer, but the same thing happened for another canned SA beer recently - So, possibly a brewery-only or, more likely, a Boston area only release?

[​IMG]

26. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (60) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

Funny thing is, I really enjoy Sam's 76. Taken on its own merits it's a tasty, refreshing, great session brew. I've bought Sixers of it in the past and probably still would on occasion, if they'd just stop pigeonholing it into every variety pack they make regardless of how unwanted and out of place it may seem. I could even live with it being in the summer pack because in makes a great summer pounder. But when they throw it in the fall and winter packs its at the expense of new and limited beers that pretty much everyone who buys these packs would prefer. And so now, subconsciously I associate Sam's 76 with disappointment, even though I know it's quite enjoyable otherwise. Not to mention it just reeks of laziness, as these seasonal packs were a showcase for the creativity and versatility of BBC. The fall pack was particularly egregious and dismal this year, which was extremely disappointing given how much I have enjoyed them in the past. This marked the first year I did not even bother with the fall variety pack in probably 10 years, and just opted to get a 28 pack of Octoberfest from Sam's club instead.

As far as the winter pack, I went ahead and bought it the other day even though the inclusion of Sam's 76 makes me want to skip it on principle. I enjoy the other beers in the pack too much and I have to get my yearly ration of Ole Fezziwig. But here again the present does not match the past because I used to be able to get 24 packs of Sam's winter packs at Sam's Club and those packs always contained 4 bottles of old Fezziwig instead of a measly two. Alas those packs have not been available for at least two or three years.

AlcahueteJ and ESHBG like this.
  27. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (60) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

28. ScaryEd

Gemini6, SWChi, chris826 and 4 others like this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

Are you close enough to Boston to pick up the beer there?

As @jesskidden opined: “…the 16 oz. can label is only approved for the Boston brewery, as the side panel also specifies. …So, possibly a brewery-only or, more likely, a Boston area only release?”

Cheers!

@ClockworkOrange

30. ScaryEd

No but I would gladly drive there to pick some up.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  31. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,972) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

SA is a prime example of why I never buy mixed packs. But the idea is genius sometimes, one time a guy got smart looking at shitty beer on the floor he can’t sell and viola, the mixed pack was born. Combine a seasonal beer that guys love and then don’t make it available in sixes, and then mix it in with crappy beers you can’t sell..... and you make money.

Gemini6 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  32. ScaryEd

Boston Lager and Sam '76 sell just fine. Also Sierra Nevada puts their pale ale in mixed cases and I think that beer does pretty well.

Otherwise, great take.

33. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,972) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Okay fair enough, substitute shitty beers to average beers you can buy alone is standing 6/12 packs. Certainly both the above are not shitty beers, but why force them into a seasonal box? I like their Winter Lager, it’s tough to beat, but I buy it as a stand alone. If they sell so well which I’m sure they do then put more season into the seasonal and not beers from your everyday lineup. It takes away the desire to buy mixed pack, nothing special mixing Lager and 76 in with winter beers.

AlcahueteJ and ScaryEd like this.
  34. JackHorzempa

Society

Dale, I agree with you here. I really have no desire for Boston Lager and Sam 76 for holiday drinking so this pack will be a pass for me.

Cheers!

scootercrabb likes this.
  35. ScaryEd

Oh I agree with this completely. I'm fine with Boston Lager being in the mix but '76 is just dumb and lazy. They've had so many great beers come and go in the Winter Classics pack, yet instead of any of those we get another year-round beer.

Gemini6 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  36. Blackdalf

Blackdalf Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2019

One of my first variety packs was the Sam Adams winter edition in like 2012 and I was repulsed by one of the beers, pretty sure it was White Christmas. It tasted like every unpleasant flavor I had ever tasted during a holiday.

37. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,102) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

That’s cool with me. :wink:

38. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,468) Dec 25, 2003 California

Just sell me six packs of all Old Fezziwig!

39. ESHBG

Ha ha could have been. I remember the Juniper IPA being pretty rough also. SA has definitely had a lot of misses over the years but at least they were up for experimenting.

StoutAtTheDevil likes this.