San Antonio next week , what should I do?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by ubenumber2, Jul 5, 2013.

1. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

I know I already asked about Dallas but now we are going to spend a few days in San Antonio as well , any places I need to go that I will just kick myself in the ass for not going too? Brewery? Store? Bar? I'm open for suggestions and once again I will be staying by Six Flags there as well , I see a pattern , hotel near Six Flags in St Louis , Dallas and then San Antonio , I need an adult vacation , lol

2. Grendle

Grendle Apr 11, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Near Six Flags you are in luck. Freetail is near by and a must stop while in San Antonio. Also near by is Spec's, Gabriels & Whole Foods in the Vineyard.

blatherbeard, mrkmrk and sliverX like this.
  3. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

Nice thanks for the fast response , I'm going to map those out

4. jamescain

jamescain Jul 14, 2009 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Do what Grendle said. No other responses necessary. Thread closed

5. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

Ok what about some Texas BBQ , not talking about any chains , I'm talking some small hole in the wall BBQ place that will make me want to come back to Texas

6. Grendle

Beer Trader

Rudy's BBQ in Leon Springs is close to you.

sliverX likes this.
  7. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

Are you driving from Dallas to San Antonio? If so swing by Lockhart on your way. If not I can't help much. San Antonio isn't really known for bbq.... Unless you consider Rudy's or bill miller bbq

8. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

Yes I will be driving in from Dallas

9. channels321

channels321 Apr 16, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Granary at the Pearl. Its pretty good BBQ & they brew their own beer

nathanmiller and starkmarvelo like this.
  10. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

From what I've heard lunch is the only good time to go there because their dinner menu changes to "high-end" bbq

11. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

Then definitely take a quick detour to Lockhart.

air likes this.
  12. channels321

channels321 Apr 16, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Never been for dinner, but it is a bit pricey for BBQ to begin with.

13. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Apr 26, 2007 Texas

Definitely check out the Granary during lunch hours. A bit pricey, but worth it. Rudy's is pretty good to, but it's a chain.

Also, keep an eye out for the Karbach tap takeovers that will be taking place next week. I know the Flying Saucer is doing theirs on Tuesday and Big Hops Growler Station on Wednesday. Not sure about other venues. It'll be a great opportunity to try a bunch of beers from a very good Houston brewery that is brand new to our market.

14. jl28r1

jl28r1 Jan 10, 2011 Texas

Two Brothers BBQ on West Ave is really good. The cherry glazed baby backs are awesome.

Please see my avatar for the only real reason to come to SA.

15. illy0sis

illy0sis Dec 12, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Vouching for all this man says... Two Brothers BBQ is the best you'll find here. If you can stop in Austin on the way in look up Franklin BBQ (http://franklinbarbecue.com/). I don't think I've ever had better BBQ.

16. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

Unless you can get there at 8 am to wait in line you might not get any. That being said it is the best BBQ I have ever had...period

illy0sis likes this.
  17. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

Pfft. Don't make the guy stand in line 3 hours. LA Barbeque on South First Street is on par (or sometimes better) than Franklin (the local hype machine). Their pit master John is the former pitmaster of Franklin AND they serve the best beef ribs in town.

John Mueller Meat Co is also an up and comer on the east side (JM actually taught Franklin how to BBQ).

Do not go to Franklin unless you want to waste time. That said, their product IS great. I just hate lines. :)

In San Antonio... yeah, all the above info is great.

air and mattchow like this.
  18. illy0sis

Beer Trader

Like you and I stated... Franklin is the best BBQ you can find. I don't mind waiting because I enjoy having the best there is to offer. If he is in Texas he needs brisket not beef ribs. Franklin has better pulled pork than any I've had in the Carolina's and the brisket is better than any I've had in TX. On a side note I wouldn't drink a Dark Lord if someone paid me though so depends on your taste.

jl28r1 likes this.
  19. jl28r1

Come on dude, why go to the best place and wait if you could go to second or third or fourth best and not wait? ;-)

illy0sis likes this.
  20. illy0sis

Beer Trader

True... Just go to Bill Miller you won't have to wait. ;)

AdamR46 likes this.
  21. jl28r1

I guess it really doesn't matter since our visiting BA friend is wondering about SA and not Austin. OP, let us know if/when you will be at Freetail maybe the SA crowd could meet you there for a beer or 12 and discuss Texas BBQ. ;)

I've been to Snow's and every place in Lockhart and Lulling as well as Mueller in Austin. There is no one who is as consistent as Franklin. I have waited hours for it in the past and would gladly do it again and again. Hype machine? Yup, and for a reason.

blatherbeard and illy0sis like this.
  22. jl28r1

I hear the McRib will be back soon!

kmello69 and illy0sis like this.
  23. illy0sis

Beer Trader

Valid point... let us know when you get to SA. A few of us can come to Freetail and hang out if you want :). If you can't make it to Freetail let me know and I'll bring you a growler of something fun.

24. illy0sis

Beer Trader

I wish there was a double like button... god the McRib is really good. I would just hit up McDonalds honestly if that is available. Its fairly cheap as well. Which leaves more money for beer.

25. jl28r1

Back to SA, I would highly recommend Big Hops Growler Station if you can make it there for some good hotel room beer. If getting there is a problem, hit me up, if I can help I will.
    Cheers!

26. Lutter

2008 and prior Dark Lord is worth it. ;)

27. Grendle

Beer Trader

For a local SA bald curmudgeon John, you sure are a great BA host to visiting BA's. While your at it make he slams a Heady in less than 15 secs to earn his keep.

28. sliverX

sliverX Oct 5, 2007 S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

Bringing back memories of our trip to SA for Le Muerta day. Do not ask a table of 15 drunk guys where the best bbq is. 15 different answers and a heated discussion for each choice.

29. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

I'm hoping to go to freetail on Thursday evening but nothing set in stone yet , three things ya never discuss , religion, politics and bbq, lol

30. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

Man don't tell them I said so but I like you guys better than the Dallas guys, lol

31. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

Had a 2008 and I disagree. Also getting those is more effort then standing in line for BBQ. Guess it depends what you like more. Franklins is one of the few things I feel is worth it to wait in line to get. But if you're with your family it probably isn't worth it. My suggestion still stands. Its not that far out of the way and the BBQ is great.

illy0sis likes this.
  32. wreckem8010

wreckem8010 Dec 7, 2010 Texas

The Point Park & Eats will be having their Karbach takeover on Friday at 6:30. It's just down I-10 from Six Flags.

bbadger likes this.
  33. nate8767

nate8767 Nov 1, 2011 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get carried away here, Rudy's is not on the same shitty level as Bill Miller's!

kmello69 likes this.
  34. jl28r1

Calm down cowboy, I'm pretty sure that all James is saying is that they are both chains. The original Rudy's in Leon Springs is good but the rest are meh.

35. nate8767

nate8767 Nov 1, 2011 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Why am I the only one who thinks Rudy's is amazing?! I still have never had a better BBQ turkey. I admit, their brisket is sub-par and their sausage is average. But, their turkey...

36. jl28r1

Umm......cause no one who cares about bbq gives a crap about turkey? Beef and pork bro.

37. miikezombie

miikezombie Aug 13, 2010 Texas

Given their countless appearances on television and in various food magazines, I would say the hype is more than just local.

illy0sis likes this.
  38. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

There are a handful of Original Rudy's restaurants. One of them is right off of 35 next to Retama Park. It's really good. You be better off getting some really good Tex-Mex while in SA. Whatever you do, stay away from Coopers BBQ and Granzines.

39. Lutter

Rudy's in New Brawnfels is the best one for the single fact that they have the BBQ Brisket Smoked Potato. Fuck that's good. I've never seen it at any of the other locations.

40. jamescain

Subscriber Beer Trader

That's like saying Blue Star makes one really good beer so there is no point in going to Freetail :p

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe