San Diego (2020)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by dcgunman, Jan 28, 2020.

1. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (923) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Looking for a San Diego thread. Found nothing. So here’s to 2020 Sun Diego.
    I’ll be in Escondido on Saturday. I’ll be south of Stone World Bistro location. Looking for something other than Stone. Escondido Brewing Company? Doesn’t have to be a brewery(with food). A decent local pub with grub. Trying not to drive to far for some good food, beer with friends. :beers:

ChicagoJ likes this.
  2. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (221) May 1, 2010 California

There's Plan 9 in downtown Esco. Escondido Brewing has very limited hours (and yes they are located in front a of feed store). Best bet is to head west and hit up Wild Barrel, Lost Abbey, and Urge Common House. I haven't checked out Jack Up Brewing or My Yard Live so I can't comment on those spots.

infectedstouts and dcgunman like this.
  3. iishen

iishen Initiate (16) Oct 11, 2019 California

For food and beer, go to Plan 9 Ale House in Escondido. They have excellent food and a nice menu of in house and guest offerings, including three Fremont B-Bomb variants when I was there last weekend. It's about ten minutes east of Stone.

For just beer, check out Rip Current in San Marcos if you haven't been. They do most things really well, and they have some exceptional dark lagers and one of my favorite barrel programs. They're maybe 10 minutes west of Stone on the 78.

4. dcgunman

Trader

Been to Rip Current back in the day. Loved it. That’s when I was trying to find some good west coast. It’s been a while. Right now seems like I’ll be closer to Plan 9 and their beer menu looks good.

5. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Aspirant (225) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Trader

6. ClippersSD

ClippersSD Initiate (156) Jul 17, 2013 California
    Trader

Go to Escondido Brewing Company. Good atmosphere, Hopcondido is a really underrated IPA. They always have a food truck and you can check Instagram.

Brent212 likes this.
  7. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Initiate (89) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Mr dcgunman,

Here are my thoughts: Barrel Republic in O' side (oceanside) might be a bit off but worth a visit
    or you can try sublime alehouse in san marcos but again, might be out of your way but also worth a mention as well as URGE. Enjoy good sir.

dcgunman likes this.
  8. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (220) Jun 13, 2006 California

I've been in North County for 7 years now and my favorite bar is Churchills in San Marcos.

AlmostDeadly777, gregoryG and ryno09 like this.
  9. dcgunman

Trader

Its been a good 12 plus years since I visited Churchill. Too far of a drive from where I'll be at. Thx.

10. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,435) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I have two full days in San Diego, and I'm staying downtown without a car. I plan on hitting AleSmith and Pure Project up north on the first day, and Stone and Modern Times on the second day. I never visited Pure Project or Stone before. AleSmith was my favorite (Modern Times second) during my lone previous trip.

Are there any other breweries worth considering downtown?

I did a search of threads and the only two found were a 2016 thread and a recent one asking for child friendly taprooms. Per a review of the remaining highly rated places in the Places section, I'm not interested in Ballast Point / Kings & Convicts, and Toronado appears to be closing / is closed.

Mikkeller is also up north, and I really can only manage two breweries there based on staying downtown, but perhaps I should hit Mikkeller over Pure Project.

Thanks

11. JayhawkJeep

JayhawkJeep Initiate (29) Feb 7, 2015 California
    Trader

There is a Mikkeller tasting room in little Italy now. Just a few blocks from the Ballast Point location. Half Door is downtown and worth checking out.

ChicagoJ and jakecattleco like this.
  12. BoltTosser

BoltTosser Initiate (53) Jul 25, 2017 California
    Trader

You can hit the new Pure Project location in Bankers Hill, if you wanted to check out Mikkeller instead. The new location is really close to downtown. Speaking of downtown, Resident is worth a visit as well.

ChicagoJ and jakecattleco like this.
  13. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (170) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

Resident and Half Door are both downtown and worth a visit.

14. ryno09

This.

Plus other great spots for food. Heard good things about Bottle Rocket who took over the Monkey Paw spot. You also now have Duck Foot, Amplified Ale, and Melvin in East Village.

infectedstouts and ChicagoJ like this.
  15. ChicagoJ

Society Trader

Wanted to give a recap of my great San Diego trip in part to the excellent pre-trip feedback provided. I was also fortunate for bad Midwest weather which permitted extension of the trip to late Saturday without flight cost, allowing for my first pour of Pliny the Younger! While I loved visits to Pacific/Mission Beach, Balboa Park and other areas, I will keep my summary to beer locations and pours:

Tuesday February 11:
    San Diego Tap Room:
    Nice spot with great food in the Pacific Beach area. Enjoyed my first ever Nelson Alpine pour, and of course my Pliny the Elder and AleSmith's Thai Speedway Stout.
    Half Door Brewing: Enjoyed the taproom staff and company, their WCIPA and Nitro poured stouts were good. Glad I visited and will return.
    Resident Brewing: Great staff and pours, enjoyed the Resident flight (First Snow the best pour, Chasing Citra also very good). Also enjoyed the Kern River Lhazy River pint, a well balanced hazy IPA.

Wednesday February 12:
    Pure Project:
    Had a few of their beers before. The flight looked great, each beer had a bold aroma. The taste, however, were much more subdued than the aroma would lead. Rain and the Log Cabin w/ Coffee were the best of the bunch. Received my United text at Pure and was busy planning extended hotel stays.
    Stone: Visited the taproom near the ballpark, limited options, none were a standout. Stone IPA remains one of my favorite WCIPAs, so this was a disappointment.

Thursday February 13:
    AleSmith:
    A bit further via public transportation than my other spots, but worth the trip. The speakeasy isn't open til early evening, but they will get you a pour if you ask. Loved having a .394 Pale Ale while touring the Tony Gwynn HOF. Forgeberry, Grand Cru and my first ever BBA cask pour Wee Heavy were the highlights of this visit. AleSmith remains my favorite SD area brewer.
    Modern Times: Had a bit more than planned at AleSmith (hard not to) and the MT list was pretty much ho hum, so opted for one 5 oz stout pour of Chaos Grid Joy Edition and I was very glad I did. One of the best pours of the trip, a BBA Almond Joy bar, excellent coconut, silky smooth rich body, strong ABV 13.5% well masked. Outstanding.
    BottleCraft: This Little Italy bottle shop also has an extensive draft list. I opted for three Beachwood offerings to go, two new very fresh pours plus Amalgamator which I saved for my final night.

Friday February 14:
    Resident Brewing: Thanks again @BoltTosser @bayareahustla and @ryno09
    , this was my favorite new SD brewery for me and I really enjoyed the pours and staff. Started with a Society pour which was good, followed by a Resident Flight, of which Pastry Experiment Vol 1 was the best pour.
    Queensland: Nice New Zealand themed bar with a great happy hour special (six four ounce flight for $8, plus great apps for $4+ (had the chili very good). Hopslam was included in the flight options, nice to see Bell's make it to the coast. Mikkeller's Cali Dreaming was the best next pour of the flight. Overall great time at Queensland.
    Mikkeller: Had a Traeblod Imperial Coffee Maple Stout, solid pour. Glad I stopped in to the Little Italy location.

Saturday February 15:
    San Diego Tap Room:
    The trip ends where it began, and what a way to end it. Pliny the Younger bats leadoff, Pliny the Elder bats second, both excellent. Final pour a Karl Strauss’ Aurora Hoppyalis.

Hope this gives some ideas of a few of the great San Diego institutions. My last piece of advice, schedule a few extra days, you won't regret it.

[​IMG]

#15 ChicagoJ, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    pudgym29, Majikow, yokels and 13 others like this.
  16. Miruguy

Miruguy Initiate (173) Nov 22, 2010 California

I'm planning on coming down to SD this weekend for a couple of days of eating/beer drinking with some friends who are coming in from out of town (outside of CA).

We're staying downtown and i was thinking of hitting:

Modern Times (of course)
    Half Door
    Resident
    North Park Beer Co.
    Bottlecraft (little Italy)
    Mikeller (little Italy)
    Bottlerocket (food)

Someone mentioned Thorn, but i didn't see much on them.

We might end up heading further north if my friends want to check out Rip Current or Lost Abbey (although i think they might have tasting rooms further south if I'm not mistaken), or maybe even Alesmith and Societe.

Any glaring omissions or things on here that you would skip? Any must hit tacos or seafood?

Thanks guys!

17. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (118) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Rip current has a tap room in north park, not too far from north park brewery. City tacos is king for me in that neighborhood. Also there is a bottlecraft across the street from north park brewing as well.

ChicagoJ and Miruguy like this.
  18. ChicagoJ

Society Trader

Excellent plan / selections. The only thing worth adding is you are able to hit AleSmith, I’d shoot for after 5 pm for full access to their speakeasy, and consider hitting the Mikkeller’s brewery before or after (in AleSmith’s original space right near AleSmith) for a better experience and more available tap options than their small Little Italy space.

Miruguy likes this.
  19. JimN8916

JimN8916 Initiate (119) Jan 31, 2014 California
    Trader

Churchill's in San Marcos is also having their Renaissance this weekend so they should have a killer list. If in the area by there I would hit Burgeon, Epigg, and Pizza Port

20. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (873) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

All the fly honies are out in East County. Okay maybe not. But we get $3-4 pints

21. Vivified

Vivified Initiate (188) Jul 9, 2014 California

Heading to SD on Thursday for work and staying downtown. I only have Thursday afternoon(flight gets in ~12:30pm) and night to explore and taste a bit. The current plan:
    Bottlecraft (little Italy)
    Mikeller (little Italy)
    Resident

Queenstown looks interesting from the above review. Is Bolt worth a stop? Any other great food spots nearby worth checking out? I may get to Half Door, it's just a bit out of the way with no car. Any other recs are always welcome!

ChicagoJ likes this.
  22. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (230) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

If you're at Resident, you're already Downtown. Check out Half Door and Amplified. Mikkeller is kinda "ehhh" but that's up to you. Skip Bolt. For food, Crack Shack is good, Craft and Commerce, Harumama. If you wanna spend more for a good meal, try Born and Raised, Cloak and Petal, Juniper and Ivy, Kettner Exchange.

ChicagoJ, Sebowski and Xul like this.
  23. Xul

Xul Champion (819) May 18, 2008 California

Definitely not. And +1 to all of the food recs @tyrsis listed. Getting Crack Shack to go and eating it at Bottlecraft is never a bad idea.

24. ryno09

Have you guys tried Bolt more recently since Gino took over? I still need to go there but I assume the beers have improved since he's a former Pizza Port brewer.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  25. PatKorn

PatKorn Initiate (161) Aug 30, 2007 Texas

#8 at Mona Lisa

carnevoodoo likes this.
  26. Miruguy

Miruguy Initiate (173) Nov 22, 2010 California

Just got back from a great weekend in SD. As usual, Modern Times and Resident didn't disappoint, and got to try a couple of new ones (for me), including North Park Brewing (really solid WC IPAs), Half Door and Eppig's tasting room in Point Loma, where I liked everything I tried (mostly German styles) and it was cool hanging outside on the water with some fresh seafood from Point Loma Seafood next door (definitely touristy, but hey, I am a tourist in SD). My friends and I went back to the Friendly (next door to Fall) for their smash burgers, which are awesome, although I probably could have done without the second one.

ChicagoJ and ChazMania like this.
  27. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (873) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

I'm a fan of Queenstown, though only been there for brunch. If like good coffee, check out bird rock.

Agree with all the recs above in regards to breweries. Bolt wasn't worth a stop 18 months ago when I last ventured there.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  28. Xul

Xul Champion (819) May 18, 2008 California

When did Gino take over? I went the second weekend in February and the beer was maybe slightly better than when I checked it out in 2017, but still not particularly good.

29. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (220) Jun 13, 2006 California

I think Eppig needs more love. They make very good to great clean beers, no pastry/hazy styles just well executed beers. Their new production spot in Vista is 3 miles from me and I dig it.
    Also, the best unknown spot in Carlsbad is Culver Beer Co. Very good clean beers and Mike (the brewer) teaches brewing at Mira Costa and loves to share knowledge on beers. Very small and they have a fantastic deli inside (Locally Toasted). Not a hyped crowded spot whatsoever, feels like your neighborhood Cheers bar. It's across the street from work, so I'm a mug club member there which has some amazing perks, check it out when in Carlsbad.

ChicagoJ, Miruguy and gregoryG like this.
  30. ryno09

Maybe not here but Eppig gets plenty of love in the SD beer community. Booze Brothers is the brewery that needs more love in north county.

31. ryno09

I think it's been a year now. I get the vibe from him that he's got some janky equipment and maybe not the biggest of budgets for ingredients.

32. Vivified

Vivified Initiate (188) Jul 9, 2014 California

Crack shack was great, the firebird was fantastic. Now to bottlecraft. I was going to take the food to go but saw the Pupil on draft so I ate here and grabbed a pour.

m34josh and Brent212 like this.
  33. riko

riko Initiate (120) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Trader

For those who've been out and about in the last couple days, or know someone in the biz, what are different bars and breweries like now that schools, sports, theme parks, etc., are shut down but bars and breweries are (for the moment) still open?

What kinds of crowds or lack thereof are you seeing? What are places doing differently, if anything, in light of the virus?

A friend was at Societe earlier tonight and said there were not a lot of people there, around 20ish, and they were spread out across different tables. But this was fairly early so maybe it'll pick up? Curious about other spots.

34. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (686) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Was at Alesmith last night and the place was hoppin. Checked out the new pizza place next to Rigoberto's on Distribution Ave. afterwards (well not exactly next to, but same shopping mall area). Pretty decent food. 12 taps, no beer license yet but the guy told me "we'll have beer next week".

O'Brien's has said they will stay open until they are forced to close. Haven't been there since last weekend, so unsure of the crowd.

pudgym29, ChicagoJ and riko like this.
  35. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Aspirant (225) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Trader

36. Aztec_Chris

Aztec_Chris Initiate (69) May 7, 2015 California

Don’t overlook Rouleur in Carlsbad. Domestique is really good.

If North 40 wouldn’t have been delayed you’d also have AleSmith and Fall in Carlsbad but Pure Project will be opening soon.

37. Sebowski

Sebowski Initiate (135) Jan 11, 2010 California

How many of you are self-quarantining/social distancing/not going to bars, breweries, restaurants...?

wolf13 likes this.
  38. Sebowski

OB was pretty full yesterday. Felt like more locals and less tourists. Every place had good crowds. I heard Friday night was super busy. Today is pretty crowded too. Seems like more than yesterday with shittier weather. I'm just doing a recon lap with a few beers here and there to check in ony peeps and heading home.

Geez. Big group just met another big group and hugs and handshakes all around ‍♂️

39. tyrsis

tyrsis Aspirant (230) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

Sounds like a bunch of absolute fucking morons. Gavin just issued a guidance that bars and such should close.

m34josh, wolf13 and riko like this.
  40. Sebowski

I can see that side. The other side is that we need to be led. If we are allowed out we shouldn't feel guilty about it. Get mad at government for not shutting places down if you want. In the meantime I don't pretend to be an expert. I practiced safe measures as best I knew how related to this while out. I just had to tell a lot of people they won't be getting any hrs or tips indefinitely. I'm OK with what I did today. Spent money and over tipped. I'll follow the local leadership, which I trust (Newsome/Gloria), on what to do going forward. They're smarter than I am. If they say places can stay open with a 6ft distancing rule, I'll go support those businesses while I can. If they say stay home, I will.