San Diegoans - What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by clonebrewer, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clonebrewer

clonebrewer Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2009 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Dudes - Last year my wife and I were in your great city and were able to hit up Societe, Green Flash, Ballast Point, Hess (the old location), and Alesmith along with a host of great beer bars. This weekend we'll be out there again and I've got this planned- let me know if I'm missing a must see. The Places reviews here at BA aren't always up with the latest and greatest. Staying at the Beach Surfer in Pacific Beach and cabbing it everywhere.
    Friday night - Dinner and beers at Stone World Bistro
    Saturday - Start in North Park for lunch and beer at Waypoint Public, then over to Hess, maybe stop by Toronado and Tiger Tiger before going to O'Briens and finish at Societe- love Societe.
    Sunday - lunch and beers at Pizza Port OB and then Modern Times, dinner at World Famous.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated!

2. tyrsis

tyrsis Disciple (320) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Maybe Toro? You have to go to Toro.
    Do Waypoint > Toro > Belching Beaver > Tiger! Tiger!

hiimrichie likes this.
  3. mitchgx

mitchgx Initiate (141) Aug 7, 2005 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Yikes...cabbing it to Stone from PB? Seems like you could rent a car for a week on what that single round trip would cost.

Can't argue too much with your general itinerary. If you find yourself walking around the PB area, the San Diego Tap Room on Garnet is a worthwhile stop. It suffers from the usual PB frat-boy crowd, but they have a pretty great beer list and I thought the food was really good.

4. clonebrewer

Subscriber Beer Trader

Been to Toronado and Tiger Tiger - really liked both of them. Wouldn't mind finding somewhere in NP with Alpine on tap. Struck out last year.

Mitch - we're going to the Liberty Station Stone location - not Escondido....that would be pricey!

5. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (623) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

JohnCassillo likes this.
  6. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Initiate (134) Oct 25, 2010 California

If you're going to be that close to Stone Liberty Station you should totally hit up Fathom Bistro. Only place to actually drink beer on the water.

Plus, more beers than seats.

7. HeavySpeedway

HeavySpeedway Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 California

IMHO, there's a big difference between a "what should I do" post and a "here's my itinerary - could you suggest one or two additions or substitutions?"

I'm not sure why Stone merits a dinner visit, but different strokes for different folks.

8. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (623) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

On that note.........had a great brewery run yesterday in the Vista area stopping at Belching Beaver, Rip Current (highly recommend) and a quick stop at Stone Escondido before turning in for Last Call at Pala resort.

9. DougOLis

DougOLis Initiate (185) Aug 15, 2008 California

Looks like a pretty solid plan. Definitely do Toronado though. If you have time, you could visit Council when up near O'Brien's/Societe too.

10. HeavySpeedway

SHOULD visit Council.

DougOLis likes this.
  11. Iriepirate21

Iriepirate21 Initiate (139) May 2, 2012 California

If you don't go to Alpine, there is something wrong with you. It's the best IPA maker in the world. And the food isn't bad either.

12. HeavySpeedway

It sounds like he does not want to drive anywhere, and even an Uber trip out there would be pretty costly. You generally can find Alpine on tap in Toronado.

Original_Fake likes this.
  13. Original_Fake

Original_Fake Aspirant (283) Nov 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Yup. Of course there will be things at Alpine you can't get at Toronado but for someone who doesn't want to drive out there, it's a great option.

14. clonebrewer

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'd love to go to Alpine, but 1) its expensive just to get there and back, and B) It will eat up a bunch of time- which is already in short supply. Thanks for the lead on Council - looks close. O'Briens looks cool but maybe I'd better do the Societe/Council split up North.

15. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,015) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Lost Abbey/Port

16. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Aspirant (242) Aug 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

its more expensive to go to stone than it is to alpine via cab...

17. riko

riko Aspirant (207) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

If you end up back at your hotel and are still thirsty, walk about 50 feet to Amplified Ale Works. Their house beers are good and they always have good guest taps. Food is good, too.

Sebowski likes this.
  18. Xul

Xul Crusader (760) May 18, 2008 California

Their lunch special (might just be M-F, not sure) is hard to beat if you're looking for good food with beer - a doner kebab, a side, and a house beer or fountain drink for $10. Even if I'm not drinking, it's one of the better lunch spots in PB.

19. rrryanc

rrryanc Disciple (310) May 19, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

He said he was going to Liberty Station.
    Also Ciro's for reasonable Pizza and a good beer list.

breadwinner likes this.
  20. clayfu

clayfu Initiate (167) Apr 27, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

21. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Aspirant (214) Jul 11, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Agreed. The East County and especially Alpine isn't stacked with Uber drivers.

22. patkorn

patkorn Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2007 California

At Toro over the weekend. Had 3 Alpine beers and all 12 SN beercamp beers on. Waypoint has a nice brunch. Maybe hit up Carnitas snack shack if you don't mind what can be a short or long line depending on the day. El Dorado is having a beer/cocktail festival on saturday as well,it's downtown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.