San Francisco Beer Week (2018)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by _pat_, Jan 29, 2018.

1. _pat_

_pat_ Initiate (37) Apr 26, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

Beer Week is approaching, what events are you looking forward to? Book any tickets? Going to the gala? Chasing the Younger? Just going to sit at Toronado for the whole week?

A few that I'm looking forward are the various tap takeovers at Crafty Fox, Maine night at The Willows, and Fall Brewing at Liquid Gold.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/events/info/84542/

2. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Aspirant (239) Aug 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I usually don't go to my usual spots during Beer Week because of the lines and other ridiculousness. Might go to Toronado on Oregon night or SoCal night, but that's it.

3. Ma9573

Ma9573 Initiate (155) Feb 21, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

Unfortunately, I'm traveling most of beer well for work and then there's Valentine's Day to mess things up too lol. Because of this I haven't really checked on the events too closely.

I got to the Moonraker tap takeover at Crafty Fox too late last year and missed all the best ones before they kicked.

I've never been to the Willows, but Maine night sounds intriguing, I'll have to check out the tap list and hope the date works for me.

4. thuey

thuey Aspirant (252) Nov 13, 2015 California

As far as can releases during SFBW... these are the ones that have been announced so far. I'm expecting Cellarmaker to announce one in the next week or so.

5. _pat_

Beer Trader

You're right @ElijahSF the crowds are always crazy but on the other hand, my friends that aren't into craft beer are always more willing to grab a pint with me somewhere during Beer Week.
    Oregon night sounds good, I'm always interested in trying beers outside of our usual distribution.
    And that 7S/ASB collab will be worth tracking down, I've heard some good things about 7S but haven't tried any of their offerings yet.

vinylfiend1 likes this.
  6. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (237) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Old Devil Moon
    Cellarmaker
    City Beer
    Holy Water

Bout 80% of my stops over beer week.

No Younger. No gala. No BS.

KevSal, Rogball, vinylfiend1 and 2 others like this.
  7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (466) Mar 19, 2012 California

I live in the South Bay. Usually, I plan to hit 4 or 5 events, but only make 1 or 2. My planned events for this year are:
    • Barrel Aged Sundae - SmokeEaters (Santa Clara): Dogfish Head, Founders, Oskar Blues Stouts
    • Alesmith Speedway to the 5th (Mountain View)
    • Firestone Walker Friday - Harry's Hofbrau (San Jose).

8. ElijahSF

Beer Trader

I don't have any friends who aren't into craft beer, just hazebros.

Dka67, Ma9573 and _pat_ like this.
  9. IQBlue

IQBlue Initiate (188) Oct 2, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

City Beer on Sante Adarius night. Always a guaranteed shitshow. Other than that it's usually no muss, no fuss.

AndresR likes this.
  10. vinylfiend1

vinylfiend1 Initiate (136) Jun 8, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I have a newborn this year so I'm on paternity leave all beerweek , wife said I can go to cellarmaker can release (whenever that is). I may go to one more event but i don't want take advantage while she's hard at work.

KevSal likes this.
  11. _pat_

Beer Trader

Make sure to bring the kid to increase your allotment!

12. asong_net

asong_net Initiate (73) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

Might be coming up the wknd of the 9th to the 11th... any events in particular to check out?

13. thuey

This is going to be your best friend - https://sfbeerweek.org/schedule/

ElijahSF and vinylfiend1 like this.
  14. crico925

crico925 Aspirant (210) Jul 8, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty stoked for the Mikkeller Bottle Logic event. The ticket was a little pricey, but worth it try their barrel aged beers without it being a massive shit show. Plus, FO has been a personal white whale of mine for the last couple of years.

15. thuey

Looks like there's a double-can collab with ASB

VABA likes this.
  16. Blackmill

Blackmill Initiate (141) Jan 18, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

So Mikkeller SF will have a keg of Barrel Aged Abraxas to "kick things off" for Oregon Night (Saturday the 17th). I would go if I didn't expect a line well before they open...

#16 Blackmill, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    KevSal and redeemer like this.
  17. DudeBeerYaBro

DudeBeerYaBro Aspirant (218) Nov 3, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Friday I'm heading to Toronado for far too expensive bottles of great beer, followed by accidentally getting way to smashed at the opening Gala within the first hour of being there....Bart back to Oakland to smash traded-for-whalez before passing out, only to be woken up to 90's r&b at 330am.... Coffee then off to RR for the Younger. Drink my 3, and then back to Berkley for RareBarrel's North v. South event. Bottle share in Oakland with more traded-for-whalez before heading to who knows where (probably Trappist, but maybe beer GoodHop or Hogs???) to allegedly taste more awesome beer.

In short, I am PUMPED TO BE STOKED BEER WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KevSal, Bum4ever and Ma9573 like this.
  18. Jtc2811

Jtc2811 Aspirant (235) Dec 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Bottle share in Oakland? I've got some stuff in the cellar if you want more people...

19. Ma9573

Beer Trader

I haven't been able to attend any SFBW events yet due to work in Monterey over the weekend. Gonna try to hit up a couple things in the City this week related to hops. The Liquid Gold event on Friday liked great but the wife had to schedule a dinner :anguished:

What are people looking forward to in the next couple days?

20. _pat_

Beer Trader

Oregon night at Toronado tonight, looking forward to having some de Garde and Great Notion again!

thuey and ElijahSF like this.
  21. B_Horne

B_Horne Initiate (29) Jun 12, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I am looking for recommendations for either Sat the 17th or Sun the 18th. I am going to be in town for one night and I don't have much knowledge of the area. Birthday trip so my wife (who doesn't drink beer) is up for anything but I am looking for free entry events so I don't have to buy a ticket that she wouldn't use. I would love flights or to try things I can't regularly get, stouts top priority but ipas and sours as well.

22. m34josh

m34josh Initiate (76) Oct 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Difficult to help without knowing which area you are referring to. Some of these events can be literally hours of travel time apart. I would check out the schedule (https://sfbeerweek.org/schedule/). It is sortable by day, as well as geographical area. If an event jumps out at you, click it and it should tell you whether it's ticketed or not (most are not.)

23. B_Horne

B_Horne Initiate (29) Jun 12, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I will be staying across the bay near Berkeley, I need to pick up some beer at Rare Barrel while I am there. Planning on crossing to Cellarmaker and staying there and north. Maybe my best bet is just to find a quality taproom/bottleshop that isn't connected to a single brewery.

24. Ma9573

Beer Trader

I went tonight and didn't even come close to getting any Great Notion lol

25. m34josh

m34josh Initiate (76) Oct 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

City Beer Store is 300 steps from Cellarmaker, and has taps and bottles. Not sure what their Beer Week schedule of events is like this weekend, but worth the walk regardless

26. ElijahSF

Beer Trader

Crazy crowded? What did you drink? What was on tap?

27. thuey

[​IMG]

28. _pat_

Beer Trader

Got there early which was a good call because it got very crowded as always.
    I was a bit disappointed that they only had one Great Notion and one de Garde but they were both new to me at least. The Papaya sour was crazy and better suited for the tiny pour size than the de Garde and Upright offerings. Love seeing Gigantic on the board though, I wish we got more of their beer in the Bay...

29. ElijahSF

Beer Trader

Pretty disappointing to see only one beer from those two breweries. Glad I didn't end up going. Might go Friday for SoCal night.

30. Ma9573

Beer Trader

I just had New Beer Smell and then we went off to Cellarmaker. As mentioned, it was crowded and took too long to get a beer lol

31. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (237) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Hitting Cellarmaker in 30. Then Mikkeller. Then old devil moon.

This is normal.

Frosty11161 likes this.
  32. Ma9573

Beer Trader

Anybody at the Hop Grenade event last night? I wasnt there but saw on Instagram that Central Coast's West coast IPA beat out Orange Julian!

After being sick this week I'm finally hitting up my second (and last :angry: ) beer week event at liquid gold today!