San Francisco for a couple days

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Krice99, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krice99

Krice99 Initiate (132) Nov 1, 2014 Illinois

can anyone recommend a great craft beer pub I the downtown area by Union Square that I should check out. Also what "don't miss" beers should I seek out?

2. SFWD1934

SFWD1934 Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2014 California

Take Uber to Cellermaker. Hit City Beer for any bottles that you may want. "Don't miss" is open to interpretation. Whatever you feel is best for your style/liking.

Jason

Insert_Beer_Pun likes this.
  3. Insert_Beer_Pun

Insert_Beer_Pun Initiate (124) Jun 26, 2014 California
    Trader

Agree with the above. I would say the "dont miss" from the current tap list would be: (1) Coffee & Cigarettes, (2) Dobis & (3) Otto's Jacket.

You are also not that far from Mikkeller Bar SF (personally, I would also Uber this despite your proximity). Looks like they have Alpine Hoppy Birthday and Freewheel Wenlock Stout (Freewheel is local and does cask condition beers quite well). Not sure either are "dont miss" but certainly beers that may not make it to Illinois much, if at all. Cheers!

4. rmdownward

rmdownward Initiate (160) Feb 10, 2007 California

5. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,194) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Don't be surprised if you're disappointed by Hoppy Birthday, as all kegs for distro are contract brewed by Green Flash, with mixed results.

Otherwise, ditto on the Cellarmaker/City Beer combo. Also, no one ever mentions Press Club, which sometimes has a surprisingly good/unusual taplist.

6. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (558) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

I agree with the rec, but unless the OP is physically impaired, it's a pretty easy walk from Union Square to Cellarmaker.

7. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (282) Oct 20, 2006 California

I think an uber driver would laugh at you if you took this trip. Its literally 5 blocks.

TheMagnanimous, m34josh and rrryanc like this.
  8. Krice99

Krice99 Initiate (132) Nov 1, 2014 Illinois

Thank you! This is most helpful!

9. iSkiCO

iSkiCO Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2015 California

If you use twitter, Cellarmaker and City Beer Store post their daily taps.

10. drew42e

drew42e Initiate (139) Mar 31, 2015 California

Toronado is a great dive bar where the bartenders are surly but the beer list is excellent. Would probably need a cab/Uber from Union Sq though.
    http://www.toronado.com/map.htm#map

11. rmdownward

rmdownward Initiate (160) Feb 10, 2007 California

Toronado is cash only

12. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Devotee (411) Nov 10, 2007 California

Why not rent a car a and drive an hour north to Russian River Brewing Co. in Santa Rosa?...is what someone is bound to say any minute now. I wonder if these people post the same responses in, say, the Great Lakes forum.

"why not book a flight to San Francisco, rent a car and drive to Russian River?"

I bet they do.

13. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Devotee (411) Nov 10, 2007 California

I suppose I could offer a helpful answer while I'm here too. City Beer and/or Public House if you want some good variety. Check Anchor & Hope if you don't want to travel that far. Wait--what am I thinking?? Mikkeller Bar, hands down closest and best.

14. Ynot2

Ynot2 Initiate (157) Jul 24, 2009 California
    Trader

Must hits, Cellarmaker and Rare Barrel. Anything else would be a bonus.

15. chcfan

Trader

To be fair, that is the only helpful answer to the myriad "where can I find Pliny/RR sours in NorCal" threads.

16. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (233) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just wanted to say thanks to all for this thread; I'm flying in to SFO tomorrow night and driving to Mendocino for a wedding this weekend. Will plan to stop at Russian River either on the way there or back to SFO, and hit up Rare Barrel on Monday before flying back to Boston Tuesday afternoon. Thank you!

17. Insert_Beer_Pun

Insert_Beer_Pun Initiate (124) Jun 26, 2014 California
    Trader

Just so you know - Rare Barrel is closed on Mondays. If there is any way to bump up the visit to Sunday, it would be well worth it.

Cheers!

18. Justin42

Trader

Doh! I didn't realize they are only open on the weekends. Unfortunately, I have to leave SFO Saturday morning and can't get back any earlier than Monday due to family commitments. Do they sell bottles during the week?

19. chcfan

Trader

Negative. They don't have a separate store or anything. Sorry. There are lots of cool places that are open on Monday, though. It would be a good time to hit Zeitgeist or Toronado since weekday afternoons are pretty much the only time those places are not packed.

mayorQuimby likes this.
  20. Justin42

Trader

Bummer. If anyone local is planning on stopping by this weekend and would be willing to pick up a couple bottles for me, I'd gladly bring some Trillium hops or anything else from Massachusetts distribution as a thank you (in addition to the cost of the bottles). Thank you!

21. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,305) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hey, does any know of any great beer spots in SF that have a kitchen that stays open late on a Thursday night? At least midnight. Thanks a lot. Also open to north/east of SF. I have a car.

#21 Resuin, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  22. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (467) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Monk's Kettle in the Mission is open late. Great for food and beer. They definitely serve food until midnight, not sure how late it goes though.

Resuin likes this.
  23. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (282) Oct 20, 2006 California

Zeitgeist usually serves food pretty late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.