San Francisco suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by GimmeAGuinness, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GimmeAGuinness

GimmeAGuinness Defender (605) Sep 1, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

Howdy, left coast folks. I'll be in SF in June for 5 days and looking for beer ideas. Renting a car for one day to head to Rare Barrel and Russian River, but other than that we're on foot/cab. What are the must-haves and go-to places right in the city? Hotel is in Nob Hill. Thanks!

2. Coach66

Coach66 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 California

GimmeAGuinness likes this.
  3. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (690) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

Cellarmaker.

tsandel and ElijahSF like this.
  4. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (569) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

I would get lyft or uber if you don't already have one of them. Most rides within the city will be $10 or less. Note that Rare Barrel is only open Thur - Sun. Don't skip Cellarmaker. It's actually walking distance from Nob(head) Hill for the able-bodied, but going back up the hill isn't fun. Avoid 6th street if you can.

The Yard is not so much a beer destination, but a really nice place to hang out on a beautiful day and they have some exclusive Anchor beers. Toronado is also a (cash only) must. You'll also be close to Mikkeller Bar. Pricey, but they always have a great selection.

Chcshammonde and GimmeAGuinness like this.
  5. GimmeAGuinness

GimmeAGuinness Defender (605) Sep 1, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

Should I ask the reason for this warning?

6. rmdownward

rmdownward Initiate (160) Feb 10, 2007 California

6th Between Market & Mission is Skid Row. They used that stretch to film some of Rent because nowhere in NYC was run down enough.

A good resource for travel is www.beerbybart.com

7. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,216) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

To be fair, this area has improved a lot in the ten years since Rent was filmed, especially during daylight hours. I walk through it all the time when in town on business.

Also, if you're at Cellarmaker, be sure to walk the few blocks to City Beer.

8. thuey

thuey Disciple (342) Nov 13, 2015 California

You mean the 1 block :wink:

JayORear likes this.
  9. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (158) Jul 12, 2012 California

4505 Burgers & BBQ & BEER

That's my contribution. and Toronado of course.

ElijahSF likes this.
  10. prajna1

prajna1 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2016 New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Second this. Cellarmaker & City Beer are a great combo. Wish we had spent more time at City Beer.

Tornado lived up to the hype for me, in a good way. Easy (though colourful) bus ride from Market St to the Haight, nice low key vibe, staff were actually quite friendly and the prices were outstanding.

11. spark3148857

spark3148857 Crusader (759) Dec 4, 2010 Ohio

300 Steps! (See City Beer Store 10th Anniversary Cellarmaker Double IPA "300 Steps") :grinning:

BartS and ElijahSF like this.
  12. RonRynhard

RonRynhard Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2013 California

add Monk's Kettle

13. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (143) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

Cellarmaker and City Beer are almost all you need. If you're going to Rare Barrel, it also doesn't hurt to visit Fieldwork and Trappist Provisions is a great bar nearby as well.

BartS likes this.
  14. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Aspirant (228) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Trader

Cellarmaker. Just walked out of the joint. All pale ales kicked or off board save for New Beer Smell which was awesome. Vastness was great see too, bcbs esque. And coffee cigarettes is bottled this Tuesday too.

BartS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.