Sand City Brewing (2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by guinness77, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,485) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I really wish they stayed open until 10 but I guess that would be pretty late for a town like Northport. I love my hours at work but when it comes to stuff like this, I don't have a chance.

2. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (588) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Guessing they didnt sell out?

3. discord257

discord257 Initiate (169) Jan 14, 2011 New York

12 cases left when they open Today.

Hoping to try it on draft there this weekend, myself.
    Anyone try it yet? Whats the verdict?

4. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,162) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Amazing they plowed through that many cases in one afternoon also considering they just had a big release this past weekend.

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

when is open today? noon or 3? I need to snag some cans while I still am able.

6. guinness77

Noon, all Summer.

cosmicevan likes this.
  7. BoardwalkBock

Yea noon everyday. I think they pushed the release to 3:00pm yesterday instead of the usual 12:00pm to maybe get more of the locals who work later a chance to scoop some up. However this is based on no actual evidence and is pure speculation.

Either way I like the way SC has been mixing up their release dates to ensure as many people get a chance to get some beer.

guinness77 likes this.
  8. BoardwalkBock

Sold out by noon. Just missed it. Still got a growler.

9. BoardwalkBock

Damn this beer is great. Glad they were doing growler fills.

10. jrnyc

Trader

Having a Oops Mangoed now. Compared to Power Source, this much more subtle, dry. If I didn't know this was a mango IPA probably wouldn't detect it. Power Source juicy and in your face mango. My preference is Power Source.

Msudukie likes this.
  11. Msudukie

Msudukie Aspirant (261) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

I agree, Oops is much more subtle but still definitely an IPA. I love Power Source but feel it is more subtlety an IPA, much more pure mango juice.

ScottKramer and jrnyc like this.
  12. guinness77

I had my only can of Oops Mango the other day and I thought it was a little more mango forward than you guys let on. It's not quite as in your face as Power Source but I didn't think it was far off. Definitely a great beer and made me wish I could have made the release.

Msudukie likes this.
  13. cosmicevan

Was moving stuff around in the cellar yesterday and stumbled upon a can of southdown stout (from batch 2) that was off shapen looking like it was gonna burst. I quickly went to get a big ziplock to put it into hoping to avoid an explosion, but as I put the can in the bag it made a huge POP and exploded everywhere. 16oz of stout on the ceiling, walls, floors, EVERYWHERE. Took me about 2.5 hours to clean up (and I'll still likely have to paint the walls and ceiling still)...and the explosion happened at 11:30 p :confused:

SOOOOO TIRED.

consider this a heads up...if your can looks like it will pop, it will pop.

cavedave, 2Xmd, jrnyc and 1 other person like this.
  14. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Disciple (354) Nov 23, 2008 New York

Ouch, so close to avoiding disaster. Not fair. :grimacing:
    Maybe would have been better to just throw a big towel over it then drop it in a bucket.

15. libeerguy23

libeerguy23 Initiate (127) Feb 19, 2016 New York
    Trader

video or it didn't happen

16. cosmicevan

Def did that but when it is all over the walls, ceiling, couch, floor, etc...there is only.souch a towel can do.

there's video of the aftermath, just have to figure out where to upload it after photobucket went away

17. SudsDoctor

No, I meant throw a towel over the can and put it in a bucket before it exploded, instead of the zip lock bag (though that certainly was a reasonable thing to try too). Might have at least reduced the cleanup by keeping the explosion from reaching the ceiling. 20/20 hindsight from a second party. :wink:

cosmicevan likes this.
  18. guinness77

Have to send a big thank you @cosmicevan because I think I was very close to the same situation as him. I had one Southdown can left from that batch and decided to check it out and it was ready to burst. Took it outside and slightly cracked it, crisis diverted.

2Xmd and cosmicevan like this.
  19. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (249) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

You guys got me worried. I too have one can left of the Southdown. My can is fine but my can is from batch 1. Another example of first batch being the best. :wink:

cosmicevan likes this.
  20. guinness77

I wouldn't mess around, I'd drink as soon as possible. I seriously think my can wouldn't have lasted the day. More foam than beer when I poured it out.

21. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (249) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

Thanks. I'm not too worried because it still has the proper give when I squeeze the can. I'l probably drink it soon anyway since it's getting cool at night and that make it even more enjoyable.

guinness77 likes this.
  22. guinness77

I was trying to save one for the same reason. Keep an eye on it though. I checked the can not even a week ago (I'm in my basement often enough) and the can was still fine. Hindsight, I should have drank it already.

23. cosmicevan

batch 1 is fine. batch 2 was just a bit overcarbed.

Also not sure if anyone tried the new batch of guttersnipe yet, but stuff is INSANELY good this time around. Was talking to the guys there and they tweaked their process slightly to make the hop pop a bit more and dial back a bit more of the fruity sweetness from the malt. All the new batches of brew are some of the best ones.

Also, not sure how long everything will last, but at yesterdays release (at least when I was there) you were still able to snag close talker and beachglass cans if you wanted...and wyld mofo was still up.

edit: I say "Also, not sure" a lot, huh

guinness77 and 2Xmd like this.
  24. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,139) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

cosmicevan likes this.
  25. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (408) Apr 19, 2013 New York

Good to know about Guttersnipe. Was really underwhelmed by the last batch.

cosmicevan likes this.
  26. cosmicevan

much like tv, after a grace period spoilers are allowed :wink:. talking up the beer post release is just discussing the beer and brewery (what this thread should be about imo). I'm a strong advocate for not talking up a release before it happens and creating long lines and fast sellouts especially when noone has tried it. that said...all these releases have been mid week day of announcements for the most part and typically last more than a day or a few so aside from asking if anyone went and what can quantities are like, there really is no way to prehype a release.

I was most shocked to still see wyld mofo flowing when I was there on Thursday.

guinness77 likes this.
  27. guinness77

I was stunned that Washed Up and Guttersnipe (even Beachglass) were still available today, a full 2 days after released. Both new batches are unsurprisingly fantastic.

cosmicevan and jrnyc like this.
  28. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,139) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Unfortunately everything inflates hype when its IPA/Stout related…silence perhaps inflates it more. Advocate to support those who deserve it, who are not in it for style or profit, but for their own interest. Then again who makes a living off of that

Second Anniversary is coming up, so the qualm is discussion, and when it takes palce

cosmicevan likes this.
  29. topsham134

topsham134 Initiate (16) May 18, 2017 New York

I found the Guttersnipe to be outstanding. I liked the Washed Up, but I found it had a certain sweetness I don't recall from the last batch.

cosmicevan likes this.
  30. guinness77

A little more malt than I remembered but I still found it pretty enjoyable. the Guttersnipe is fantastic, I love this beer

cosmicevan likes this.
  31. guinness77

I'm drinking a Man Hands, don't judge, somehow I had one left I forgot about, (I know, Mother's Day) and....no floaties, excellent color, still tastes good. Really good actually, should have taken a pic. No malt, actually, I'm shocked.

32. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (386) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

Speaking of drinking older Sand City cans: just cracked open a can of Oops! I Hopped My Pants! and it's still drinking great. Arguably better than when it was fresh.

Oops! I Mangoed My Pants! however, is almost undrinkable. Overwhelming taste of chewable Tylenol on that one. Gave my last two cans away to my roommate who is far less picky than I am and even he's having a hard time with them.

33. SudsDoctor

Finished my last Even Mo' from the late June release last weekend and thought it was better than fresh. The subtle diesel/asphalt aroma I got then was gone and the tropical fruit qualities were more up front. BDTH on the other hand was tipping toward the malty side, though still very enjoyable. Debating whether to hit the release this weekend. Late afternoon is a tough time.

34. BoardwalkBock

This batch of Guttersnipe is so dialed in its amazing. Wish I got more than 8 cans since I gave a few away.

I don't think anything is happening there this weekend so everyone can continue on with their normal business.

guinness77 and 2Xmd like this.
  35. jrnyc

Trader

Wish they were selling Infinity Plus One instead of the other ones.

36. libeerguy23

libeerguy23 Initiate (127) Feb 19, 2016 New York
    Trader

there is still another one on the tba list

jrnyc likes this.
  37. jrnyc

Trader

After I made the post, I did see on FB they made a sly reference to maybe forgetting to mention a beer, so it sounds like there is one more at least coming.

38. Jlabs

Jlabs Poo-Bah (1,549) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

With 3 cans being released on saturday..will it be a madhouse ala Other Half?..this will be my first Sand City can release and was wondering if i need to get there early, or can i casually stroll over later in the afternoon and still nab all 3 beers?

39. BoardwalkBock

I think every weekend release has sold out by noon with the initial people in line.

40. Jlabs

Jlabs Poo-Bah (1,549) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Ok..thanks!!

Edit: just saw the release starts at 4pm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.