Sand City Brewing (2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by guinness77, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topsham134

topsham134 Initiate (16) May 18, 2017 New York

Sand City is the only thing that brings me to the annoyingly difficult to get to Northport, NY. I've definitely spread my spending to other local businesses. I can't wait for Sand City to move. Peace out Northport - I won't be back.

yossle likes this.
  2. TangoJuliet

TangoJuliet Disciple (336) Apr 2, 2014 New York
    Trader

What’s it looking like up there? Was thinking about going after I get out of work at 2 but don’t want to waste my time if everything is gone.

3. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,162) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Check Instagram, but Even Mo Money is gone, 15 cases of Oops as of 12pm.

4. TangoJuliet

Trader

Cool thanks for the update. Yeah I’m going to pass. It’ll be gone before I get there

jrnyc likes this.
  5. TangoJuliet

Trader

I got out of work a little early. Think I can make it there before they’re gone??

6. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (588) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Sold out

7. jrnyc

Trader

Surprised it sold out so quickly, but happy for them to generate some cash while tap room is closed. Hopefully everyone's fridges are full and they skip the next SC release:wink: !

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

So yeah the town no like sand city. There were 3 police vehicles circling the brewery in the hour or so before the release. Handed out tickets to any car that was even parked crooked. My friends and I were also fairly sure that we spotted 2 plain clothes officers walking up and down the line presumably to bust people drinking. Thankfully the crowd was mellow and there was no blatant bottle sharing going on.

Think the rumors are right about wanting to preserve the 50s vibe. And as far as us saying if sand city leaves we won't be back to the northport...that's exactly what the folks pushing them out would love to hear.

Very surprised it sold out so quickly. Must've neen a mad rush of people at open since there weren't really long lines leading up to open.

2Xmd likes this.
  9. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,483) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Now that I've had both collabs, my (very early) verdict is Even Mo Money > That Ish Cray. I'll tell you though, it's by a hair. These two breweries really know what they're doing.

That Ish Cray is just about perfect right out the gate. Tons of citrus, tons of dank, really good feel for a single IPA. I will happily drink the other 5 I have and begrudgingly give the other 2 away I plan on giving away.

I give the edge to Even Mo Money though because of one thing. I'm not going to get into descriptors, but if you've had both of these beers separately, this is the perfect blend. Smells like dank ass Money, which is saying something. Starts off like Money, but then melds beautifully into that mosaic beast we all know as Even Mo. Same as Ish, begrudgingly giving away what I'm giving away. Always happy to hook friends up, though.

TL/DR: they're both amazing. Couldn't be happier the best two LI breweries collabed, and that I was able to get both.

CrimeDog and TheseGoTo11 like this.
  10. Phreeballing

Phreeballing Initiate (198) Sep 19, 2015 New York
    Trader

Will there be a release this weekend? Hoping for the other half or salon collab for the the holidays

11. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Aspirant (271) Mar 21, 2015 New York

wooden planks had to be ripped out and a cement walkway maybe 3 feet lower exists, walkway was in fine condition. last trip I had ade there was some lectrician working 5pm on a Sunday night on the walkway lighting.

12. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (95) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

I was really hoping for something this Saturday, but I assume that's unlikely at this point.

13. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (190) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Even Mo Money is phenomenal. That is all.

14. jrnyc

Trader

au contraire!
    Bam for Saturday. Double batch, this is good news, although I don't think it will be as easy as strolling into Centre Street when OH has double batches.

15. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (95) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

Will this be the final nail in the coffin from the town? They ain't gonna like this one.

mltobin, BltByKrmn and cosmicevan like this.
  16. Phreeballing

Trader

Well this release is going to be an absolute shit show.

BltByKrmn likes this.
  17. BoardwalkBock

I fully expect this to be an unfortunate shit show which will put their strained relationship with the Village over the top. No OH release Saturday means the masses will flock.

2Xmd likes this.
  18. jrnyc

Trader

Definitely has the potential to be. But Sand City knows this, so either they don't care or the lines are not the source of their problems with town.

Aside from a potential wait, with double batch and SC reducing limits as needed, pretty sure everyone who is in line will get beer.

2nd anni release wasn't a complete shit show, right? I didn't go but expected it to be. The optimistic side of my hopes this release won't be, the realistic part knows it will be.

19. guinness77

Lol at the tekus. I really want both of these beers, but looking at things the way they look now, I'll be sitting this one out.

Daveshek28 likes this.
  20. guinness77

I'll add one thing, since I can't edit my last post, if any of these line lyfe/haze boiz think they can come to Northport village and just bust out bombers, whalez and glassware on the sidewalk, they're gonna find out real quick they ain't in Brooklyn anymore.

CrimeDog, plaid75, Daveshek28 and 3 others like this.
  21. AM824

AM824 Initiate (69) Dec 9, 2015 New York

No firsthand knowledge as I never go to releases but from what I heard the town always had an issue with the releases due to the lines and public drinking on them. The final nail in the coffin was whatever release they pushed back because of some town event. Think they moved the can release until 2 pm and this event ended at 2 pm so obviously people lined up early and it caused a problem. Shortly thereafter is when they began having the serious issues (fire marshal, walkway, etc). Again this is just what I heard so no idea how much is true but it seems to line up with what's going on.

guinness77 and jrnyc like this.
  22. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (408) Apr 19, 2013 New York

I envision them being boxed in and hearing “now u can’t leave”.....

23. cosmicevan

Hopefully it doesn't add additional problems for sand city, but I'm sure it will.

guinness77 likes this.
  24. guinness77

That was the day of the Cow Harbor 10k which is a big deal around there. I wasn't there that day but your theory actually makes sense because that does seem to be around the time the ball breaking started, at least on the surface.

25. TheseGoTo11

TheseGoTo11 Initiate (28) Nov 28, 2017 New York

Good grief. I’m looking at buying a house in that area. If they move Sand City to a remote location I may have to reconsider (semi srs).

CrimeDog, Daveshek28 and Jtbel1988 like this.
  26. cosmicevan

It's only a matter of time before they relocate. Aside from the problems that the town is giving them, they outgrew that spot a while ago.

CrimeDog and 2Xmd like this.
  27. Phreeballing

Trader

Is the other half collab the same beer as all infinity everything?

Other half release was infinity plus one mixed with AGE

According to SC instagram this release looks to be the same beer but at different at a different abv.

28. guinness77

I had them both tonight but I favored the OH collab. They're both great so don't get that twisted. Have fun, I'm sitting this release out. These are some decent motherfuckers, I'm glad they're killing it.

cosmicevan and TheseGoTo11 like this.
  29. cosmicevan

I heard it is a different beer.

30. TangoJuliet

Trader

What do you think will be a good time to get there tomorrow?

31. jrnyc

Trader

Double batch of OH collab, they adjust limits based on people on line, I can't see why anyone would get there hours in advance. But based on the line "arms race", people will line-up very early. And they incented people to line-up early by saying glasses available for first 150 people on line.

Has there ever been a time with Sand City release where people in line before open don't get beer? I don't think so.

#1071 jrnyc, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    alexsergio and cosmicevan like this.
  32. guinness77

People on their IG page are talking about showing up at, uh, 430-5. You gotta be kidding me. Smh

33. jrnyc

Trader

This is why we can't have good things. And my guess is people will pass all those hours by drinking in the street. SC was pretty explicit this time in IG post telling people not to drink. Tap room closed, problem with town, collab with super hyped brewery, holiday weekend, hundreds of people descending on Northport, what could go wrong??!!

guinness77 likes this.
  34. BoardwalkBock

Just grabbed a growler of Even Mo Money from my local store. I’m getting drunk tonight and sitting this one out....

CrimeDog, yossle, BltByKrmn and 2 others like this.
  35. Phreeballing

Trader

I’m going to be there about 8. If that’s not good enough than oh well. Raining and 40 degrees.

jrnyc likes this.
  36. state08

state08 Initiate (85) Feb 4, 2016 New Jersey

There are no other big releases in the area tomorrow. Its going to be crazy. All the Other Half usuals will be there muling and drinking in line.

jrnyc likes this.
  37. guinness77

I went to The Villager for their event last night, and I asked them if they were trying to break the town.

And, yes, the Cow Harbor theory has legs...I'll just leave it at that.

2Xmd and jrnyc like this.
  38. guinness77

They can have it. They'll get tickets too.

jrnyc likes this.
  39. state08

state08 Initiate (85) Feb 4, 2016 New Jersey

Oh yea, I agree completely. Those that haven't been to Sand City before will realize very quickly that the village of Northport is not industrial Brooklyn.

CrimeDog and jrnyc like this.
  40. alexsergio

alexsergio Poo-Bah (1,583) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

There hasn’t. As you say, they will adjust limits based on the line at opening. That’s why I’ll arrive just before opening. :slight_smile:

jrnyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.