Sand City Brewing (2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by guinness77, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,424) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Their last post is from Tuesday. They were last open on Tuesday. Those were the cans originally from Sunday.

2. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (385) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

You are a merciful God.

Thank you.

alexsergio likes this.
  3. guinness77

I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but they haven’t been open since Tuesday. They won’t be open again until they announce it on IG. It sucks but that’s the situation now.

4. Comparison_Ford

Trader

They posted today saying they were selling cans of Best Seat, Putting Out Fires, Handsome Maniac, and the Evil Twin collab from 4-8 today and tomorrow, but they just deleted it.

5. guinness77

Hmm. I have that page bookmarked and I hadn’t seen it so apologies. I wonder why it was deleted.

Comparison_Ford likes this.
  6. alexsergio

alexsergio Poo-Bah (1,566) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

My good sir, I’m middle aged so I’m not sure how insta works but they seem to have deleted the post which says they are selling today and tomorrow. The good news is that on Twitter you can see the same posts which confirm the back door sales for Thursday and Friday.

guinness77 likes this.
  7. guinness77

I saw @Comparison_Ford post and didn’t realize. My apologies. Weird that they would delete, I never saw it.
    lol, I’m middle aged too and don’t get social media at all. I just stalk their IG page. Barrier too.

Edit: yeah, there it is on Twitter. Very weird. Damn, I was hoping Power of One would still be available. Fantastic. Throwing down $30 on a 4-pack kinda restricts your options, haha

8. alexsergio

alexsergio Poo-Bah (1,566) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

I’m a middle aged stalker too. This thread just makes me wanna share brews with Guinness and comp Ford here on LI. Let’s make it happen lol

9. Comparison_Ford

Trader

I'm only 30, but I'm always willing to drink beers and shoot the shit with like-minded people.

alexsergio and guinness77 like this.
  10. guinness77

Haha, I’m in with you guys. Cheers.

11. IPAPolice

IPAPolice Initiate (79) Aug 30, 2016 New York

It's actually a really great way to get your brand out there regionally. It's not like they do it all the time.

12. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,155) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

They just posted cans being sold out of back from 4pm to 8pm.

13. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,966) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

That has such a funny sound to it, like it's prohibition and you need a secret knock and password to get in, with Elliot Ness cruising around.

14. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,088) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Two Legit reminded me of an old school OH take on 10%: AGE pre-2017. Granted, the comparison shouldn't even be warranted, considering how long it's been since the indulgence took place. Nonetheless, this here is a classic take on an elevated IPA with the appropriate heat, sweetness and clear cut characteristics. Two Legit plays to resinous citrus-grapefruit, candid malt, subdued bitterness, and hop cones

guinness77 and NiceBeerCans like this.
  15. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

Anyone who didn't love sparkle...save your drain the horror and let me replace them w others.o I genuinely love it

yossle, frozyn and NiceBeerCans like this.
  16. hyperguy220

hyperguy220 Initiate (104) Mar 24, 2011 New York

Anyone at hop that can provide an update?

17. Comparison_Ford

Trader

I got there a little after opening. They didn't seem to have as many cases when compared to the Other Half mobile release, but I'm fairly confident that cans will still be available for the next few hours.

hyperguy220 likes this.
  18. HansCastorp

HansCastorp Initiate (88) Mar 16, 2007 Ohio

I'm headed to Hoptron soon. Tap list looks favorable.

cheers

19. jrnyc

Trader

Awesome last 2 weeks to roll into Sand City , park in front and get whatever I want with no line. Shut it down has a great name, a great smell and a good taste. The Interboro collab is not good at all, probably worst Sand City beer I have had.

20. Comparison_Ford

Trader

Honestly other than Mad Fat Mofo I thought all of the cans released at Hoptron yesterday were duds. Wouldn't go as far as to say that the Interboro collab is the worst Sand City offering (Oops! I Mangoed, Stranded, and the Kent Falls collabs are strong contenders), but I could see how it would rub some people the wrong way.

Currently longing for some Sand City staples. It's been too long since we've seen cans of Second Wave and Washed Up.

jrnyc likes this.
  21. jrnyc

Trader

Power of One is great, happy with that one. Second Wave is one of their best best beers and one that is easy to get.

22. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Aspirant (271) Mar 21, 2015 New York

Or Day Drifter!!! A hearty low ABV offering for those who can't handle the late push for 8-8.5ABV offerings!!

23. guinness77

I think you may have had a bad can. It’s certainly not Sand City’s (or Interboro’s) best beer, but it’s definitely still a solid 4 overall out of 5.

24. hyperguy220

hyperguy220 Initiate (104) Mar 24, 2011 New York

Assuming we are talking about "this is how we chill" I agree with guinness77, its not the best but its not bad. I didnt pick up Mad Fat Mofo (i like mofosaic, but not in love with even mo, plus i have way too many DIPAs from OH right now), but of the 3 it fell in the middle for me. I was very unimpressed with Mad Fat Fresh, and surprised by Fluid after my experience with fresh.

This is how we chill was pleasant, but probably wouldn't purchase if rebrewed.

guinness77 and ScottKramer like this.
  25. guinness77

This is how the typical Sand City Instagram post goes:

“Hey all, friendly reminder that we can only sell cans on days we get a permit so check up for follow up posts *cheers emoji*

Next 8-out-of-10 responses:

“@sandcitybrewery...so, selling cans today???”

Really can’t take this level of stupidity anymore. I feel bad for whoever runs that page/answers comments.

algebeeric_topology and rozzom like this.
  26. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

As a rule of thumb people that comment on brewery Instagram posts are IQ-challenged. The dumb comments are definitely not unique to SC. Though I guess with their current issues, are possibly even more irritating

guinness77 and bgold86 like this.
  27. jrnyc

Trader

Had another can, respect others people's palates but for me this one is not good at all. 3.25 for me

ScottKramer, guinness77 and rozzom like this.
  28. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,422) Dec 13, 2009 New York

#1309 cosmicevan, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    TheseGoTo11, jrnyc and yossle like this.
  29. jrnyc

Trader

This is what confuses me, what did the town think was going to happen in a tap room? They were going to sell beer there and people were going to drink it there. When SC first opened up, were they only serving tastes or full pours?

Once the lines starting forming for can releases, I knew this was going to turn out to be a problem, there is no way that town was going to tolerate long lines smack dab in the middle of the town.

30. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (577) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I first went to SC about 3 months after opening and they were doing full pours of about 4-5 beers.

jrnyc likes this.
  31. jrnyc

Trader

Public meeting tomorrow night with the town, try to go people and support the brewery! And love the fact they are releasing a beer today called "It Takes A Village"!!!

#1312 jrnyc, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Daveshek28 likes this.
  32. jrnyc

Trader

I attended the hearing tonight, although the circumstances around it suck, it was a pretty awesome experience to see how many people showed up and voiced their support for the brewery. Here are some random thoughts/notes.

• There were about 125 people there, the room hearing was held in was packed and people were standing outside the room
    • Person chairing the meeting did make note of drinking in line at can releases. We know compared to places like OH, it is a minor problem, but people need to stop being so selfish by drinking in line. The brewery is shut down in part to this and people whose livelihood depends on this brewery are suffering because of selfish behavior of people.
    • Chairman actually complained about people smoking in the area of the brewery, I am against smoking in general, but is it illegal to smoke in the town of Northport? And why the hell is this breweries problem!?
    • Chairman kept referring to "conditions" and the brewery can't be a bar. I still don't understand this, when the brewery opened were their conditions they could only do samples and not sell full pours?
    • I would say about 20 people spoke, 19 in support of Sand City and all well stated in support of the brewery, all were applauded after they spoke. There was one crotchety old woman who complained about forklift driving down wrong side of road and smell from brewery. I guess one a-holes complaints can override a whole community. More people were waiting to speak, but they basically ended that part of the meeting with some people not getting a chance.
    • The owner of the building spoke and stated he has been stone walled for 6 months by the town to fix the ramp. I am sure we all figured that, that was just an excuse to shut the tap room down. It is 2 weeks of work.
    • They have 7 years left on their lease, not sure if it legally or financially feasible to get out of it, but if not, that really hurts their leverage.
    My feeling is tap room may open, but since chairman stated it can't be a bar, the condition could be serving a very limited amount of beer, which still would essentially not make it a viable tap room.

Not sure who the zoning board is doing the bidding for, but it is preposterous to shut this place down, there are bars and alcohol served in Northport, why is this place being singled out?

#1313 jrnyc, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  33. plaid75

plaid75 Poo-Bah (4,350) Jan 13, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

I think the meeting went well for Sand City. The board seemed interested in when the final approval would be granted for the deck/walkway and seemed to indicate that a rolling compliance review would be put in place to make sure the brewery is honoring the conditions placed upon it. Both would indicate to me that a re-opening of the tasting room is forthcoming.

Daveshek28, guinness77 and yossle like this.
  34. jrnyc

Trader

Agreed. My only fear is they let them open the tasting room, but they put a limit on serving size and # of samples. And I base this on the chairman saying multiples times the tasting room can't be a bar.

35. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (249) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

You can google Newsday + Sand City and read the article about yesterday's town hall meeting.

The town hall chairman, Andrew Cangemi, is a partner of Herman Katz Cangemi & Clyne law firm. Pretty sure that he'll find a way to screw Sand City. He doesn't really care what the majority of the town wants or whether Sand City drives up sales at other businesses.

jrnyc likes this.
  36. jrnyc

Trader

Agreed. But who is he doing the bidding for? Thanks for pointing out that article, I am in the picture they show!

NiceBeerCans and rozzom like this.
  37. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Who's the angry looking guy sitting in the front row?

algebeeric_topology and jrnyc like this.
  38. jrnyc

Trader

LOL, not me! Not bad, between this picture of me and the article you found in the NY Post of me screaming "this is the golden age of beer" I have become quite ubiquitous in the local media :slight_smile:!

39. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (249) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

More money for his firm...

Contact Andrew for all your commercial real estate litigation, condemnation/eminent domain, and tax certiorari issues.

jrnyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.