Santa Monica Recommendations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Justin42, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (234) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

What are some must=hit spots in the Santa Monica area? Interested in restaurants with solid beer programs as well as breweries and beer bars. Staying at the Fairmont Miramar at the end of the month, won't have a car so plan to Uber to places. thank you!

2. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (82) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

My girlfriend works at the Fig at the Fairmont as a pastry chef. So if you're having delicious chocolate chip cookies, you have her to thank!

The only brewery I know for sure that would have some good beer is The Propagator/Firestone-Walker.

3. Justin42

Trader

Nice! I'll be on the lookout for chocolate chip cookies.

4. walterfredo

walterfredo Initiate (177) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Trader

Father's Office

5. Justin42

Trader

Is going to the Monkish taproom a terrible idea? Looks like a bit of a haul with traffic.

6. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (516) Jun 9, 2011 California

It’s a GREAT idea and honestly, there’s ALWAYS traffic in that area ... just don’t go during rush hour, you’ll be fine.

OTB and Izzy_Izumi like this.
  7. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

Also follow them on Instagram...to AVOID can releases if you don't want a hassle. Or, if you do, to judge how early you want to get there. They usually post about a release an hour or so beforehand, but you can also infer details from their release page.

And if you're there, you might as well walk to Smog City.

AlexM likes this.
  8. Justin42

Trader

Thank you and @AlexM. Not really interested in can releases and the lines those bring, so will keep an eye on their instagram. Sounds like a fun afternoon between Monkish and Smog City.

AlexM likes this.
  9. AlexM

FYI ... Monkish crowlers are SO EASY. Never a hassle ... good pricing ... very easy to go option if you are interested.

10. Justin42

Trader

Nice, will definitely grab a couple to go. I had thought about lugging my Bruery Reserve growler across the country for fills but decided that was too much of a hassle, crowlers will be much easier.

AlexM likes this.
  11. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

Monkish is growlers*.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  12. HaoleToYou

HaoleToYou Aspirant (293) Mar 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Premium Trader

SaMo beer bars: Father's Office, The Daily Pint, Library Alehouse. West 4th & Jane has some offerings every now & again as well.

johnInLA, Fermented-nate and Justin42 like this.
  13. Justin42

Trader

ah, oh well! could always just buy one and recycle when I leave

Izzy_Izumi likes this.
  14. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

I'd take at least one of your hands! But, they're nice since they're 750s, so not a lot of room taken up.

15. AlexM

Crap, my bad ... GROWLERS

16. BrooklynPaul

BrooklynPaul Initiate (53) Jun 17, 2013 California

Agree, all 4 of these are extremely solid choices and within a mile and a half of each other. You hardly need to go anywhere else to get your beer fix. Stout Burgers will have some inspired beer selections as well.

Santa Monica Brew Works is also here, and while their regular selections are merely ok, they do usually have some seasonal/rotating brews that are quite good.

And Monkish is definitely a visit you want to make, but as has been said, that 20 mile trip will easily take you an hour to get there.

johnInLA likes this.
  17. considerbeer

considerbeer Initiate (43) Dec 15, 2016 Colorado

Firestone Walker - The Propagator is about 20 minute drive or so.

18. OTB

OTB Devotee (420) Sep 2, 2011 California

Concur with what Alex said. You definitely need to make time for a Monkish visit and the trip from Santa Monica shouldn't be viewed as a deal breaker. As mentioned, getting growlers is simple and painless, I highly recommend it. Friday's have become pretty consistent for can releases and for some reason it's incredibly mellow, most Friday releases have little to no lines, with inventory lasting much longer, another bonus for a Friday visit is that Friday is often when Monkish will introduce a new IPA/DIPA for growler fills, or as they refer to it on their website " Freshie Alerts "

Cheers,

#18 OTB, Feb 17, 2019 at 12:33 AM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 12:39 AM
    AlexM likes this.
  19. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (90) Dec 6, 2014 California

I would go to the Propagator in Venice which is close. If SM it is, then Father's Office and Stout Burgers and Beers tend to have the best taplists. It's surprising how much the West Side is lacking in good beer bars, actually. And Monkish is well worth the trip. Also, Cellador for sour goodness. They are world class.

20. johnInLA

johnInLA Crusader (789) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Premium

• Fathers Office
    • The Library Alehouse
    • The Daily Pint
    • Gulp WLA
    • The Propagator
    • Santa Monica Brew Works tasting room
    • Venice Alehouse
    • The Tripple

erichxedge likes this.
  21. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (90) Dec 6, 2014 California

Yeah those are all ok, but they don't hold a candle to some of the bars in mid-city or east: Glendale Tap, Southland Beer, Beer Belly...

Best is probably Surly Goat in Weho