saving cool bottles

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Sam_Frank, May 11, 2013.

?

do you

1. add to shrine

37 vote(s)
    63.8%
  2. chuck

21 vote(s)
    36.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

i realize this is a lame thread, but i'm curious do any of you keep bottles of rare or cool looking beers you've had? or is that a little too college dorm-esque?

i'm sure my girlfriend would not be into it if our house became a recycling bin, but certain bottles i have on the shelf because the artwork is too cool, or it was my first of some rare beer etc..

JohnnyMc and baconman91 like this.
  2. RichD

RichD Pooh-Bah (2,182) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I personally don't think that this is a lame thread at all. Once I get out of college and get my own house I plan on having a bitchin' bar with all my cool bottles, labels and caps on display. I also keep some rare-ish bottles and I have a large box with about 20-30 bottles in it that I'm saving.

JohnnyMc and BeerKangaroo like this.
  3. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

..it's all good, I'm right w/ ya, I can't seem to part w/ some. There are a handful of Really cool bttls & labels out there!

4. zachary80

zachary80 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2009 Indiana

I only keep them if I like the label art, and most of the time the beer itself wasn't that good. The three I currently have are This One Goes to Eleven, Arctic Panzer Wolf (old style), and Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple. I'll probably just start using the last one for homebrew; the Double Chocolate Stout bottles we used have held up well.

5. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

I keep about a dozen bottles. That's my limit.

6. mechamifune

mechamifune Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2008 North Carolina

I started saving bottles of beers with cool art work/that were rare/ that I really liked about 8 years ago and started putting them up for display in my "beer room" (the room has a large shelf that spans across all the walls that was installed by the previous owner). Ran out of room pretty quick and now have boxes of bottles in my basement that I keep telling myself I will find something cool to do with. Deep down though I know I will inevitably end up taking them all to the recycling center one day.

macster likes this.
  7. KalH

KalH Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Moving next week and decided to put my bottles into recycling after a few years of collecting some cool ones with great labels. Only held onto four of them due to sentimental reasons but I think I may be done hoarding bottles now. My recycling center is in for a big surprise today when I bring them in!

8. NYCBUCKEYE

NYCBUCKEYE Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2013 New York

I don't save bottles, however the artwork on DDG is really cool.

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,274) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I keep most of my bottles for homebrewing. I try to keep the cooler labels by letting them soak in hot water and pbw. And I love recycling the silkscreened bottles. Its always cool to give someone an imerial stout in an enjoy by bottle.

jono0101 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  10. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2012 Texas

11. Cvescalante

[​IMG]

This is what I do

12. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Ohio

i cant seem to get rid of mine. Eventually im going to make a shelf in my garage that goes around the top, so that i can put my bottles their to display them.

13. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

However, I have to admit I'll end up saving for homebrews or shot-gunning them.

14. infi

infi Savant (1,048) Apr 4, 2009 New York
    Trader

I do, on a shelf near my bed. Have ~30 bottles, and usually keep the significant ones or rare bottles I've fortunately procured over the few years.

15. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

As a collector of labels I will keep some of the really cool bottles, especially if they're silkscreened and I obviously can't extract anything.

Treyliff likes this.
  16. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Ohio

old pic
    [​IMG]

Cvescalante and JohnnyMc like this.
  17. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Maven (1,477) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

I think this is a good topic actually. I used to keep a bottle of every beer I tried (obviously that got out of hand very quickly, so I chucked them all), but now I do keep bottles with badass/cool artwork or if it was a rare beer that I tried for the first time. At the moment I'm living in an apartment so they are pretty much just in boxes for the most part. It's honestly kind of a pain in the ass to hold onto them, but I just can't seem to part with certain ones haha.

18. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I've kept a few. I realize I do not want to be a hoarder. I wish I'd kept the Pliny bottle. I'm not gonna pay another $20 just for that, though.

19. Cvescalante

I like this.. I've been working on getting rid of some of the bottles that aren't even special and replacing them with cooler stuff, but I just started throwing anything and everything that was new up there one day and I've been adding to it ever since then.

20. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Pooh-Bah (2,815) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

That's just a case of hoarding, right there...

I've said before and will suggest again here, I recommend peeling the labels off and putting them in a folder ... it'd take far less space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.